myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard DRAM Vs. Technora

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Starboard DRAM Vs. Technora Reply with quote

Is there a difference between Starboard's older DRAM construction versus the newer Technora that replaced it? If so, could someone kindly explain the differences and advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks in advance for explaining!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard does disclose details, well some details on construction, more than others.
They have a past or archive site that you can go to.
Starboard also have a forum where you can ask the experts..so to speak about the construction.. Answers .. May be factual. May not be.

The precise construction is propritarity , and perhaps you have some agenda that it's necessary to digest the public version..
The real world one is probably not disclosed.

FWIW THIS my opinion does not apply alone to starboard, they do have some help in this area.

Bottom line from me is does it really matter

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

The precise construction is propritarity , and perhaps you have some agenda that it's necessary to digest the public version..

Agenda? Uh... well I'm not trying to steal Starboard's proprietary secrets to start a board cloning company in some offshore factory if that is what you mean.

I am at the stage where I am buying and selling second hand boards more frequently because my board sizes are slowing getting smaller as I progress. I am also trying different boards to see what style of sailing I prefer. I learned to sail on Starboard and have a preference for Starboard boards. Because I don't have $2000 to drop each time I am ready to downsize a board, it is necessary to purchase secondhand. My budget for secondhand boards puts me in an age range where boards could be DRAM, or they could be Technora based on when the model changed over.

U2U2U2 wrote:

Bottom line from me is does it really matter

I don't know. Maybe it it does not matter. Maybe it does? Again, if I someone is looking to purchase a board that is in the age range where it could be either DRAM or Technora, it would at least be of interest to know what the general differences are and why Starboard changed from DRAM to Technora.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=16 This is from 2007. Just go to the archive at the bottom of the windsurfing page at star-board.com and click on model year they explain all the construction methods and materials in great detail. I have Starboard, Tabou, and JP-Australia boards. Starboard seems to be the most rugged. My JP FSW dings rather easily.http://2002.star-board.com/tech.asp This is from 2002
bamer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The differences between the constructions are likely small and not worth worrying about.

Foam difference: Airex which is the 'A' in DRAM is a bit more resilient to crushing and has better memory than Divinycell (the PVC foam they are likely using in the newer construction). Dents in Airex can often be fully or partially removed with the careful use of a hairdryer. Some builders will use blended skins putting the Airex in high traffic areas and Divinycell everywhere else.

Fiber difference: Dyneema, which is similar to Spectra, is an ultra high molecular weight polyethylene while Technora is an aramid similar to Kevlar. Dyneema is superior in strength to weight ratio and bulk to strength ratio. The UHMWPE fabric likely bonds better to other materials when put in a laminate so there is likely less chance of delamination.

The Dyneema or Technora are used only in specific areas to spread impact and compression loads over a larger area.

The changes may have been made because of cost or availability, because in both cases a slightly inferior product was used.

Having that said, the newer boards could easily be stronger overall and/ or have a better strength to weight ratio. The cell size of the PVC core can alter the overall weight by a decent amount, with bigger cells sucking up more (heavy) resin and not contributing to strength. So if the Divinycell sucks up less resin than the Airex, it may allow for more reinforcement to be placed in the board for the same or even less weight.

The fibers are also woven into fabrics that have different properties. It could be that the Technora is available in a more desirable cloth than Dyneema for Starboard's needs. If this is the case, the more ideal weave would save weight and or allow for better adhesion between layers.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the answers above is very good, other parts are entirely too generalized.

Without comparing the year of A board . RX 2002 for DRAM AND RX 2008 for TECHNORA, the results could be very misleading. The construction details could change from year to year, or stay the same with now a new name.

2002 DRAM ..EPS WOOD GLASS DYNEEMA

2008 TECHNORA..EPS PVC GLASS CARBON KEVLAR TECHNORA.

USING THE suggested Starboard archive site, bottom of home page, set the year, look for technology , under a drop down menu, to find the diagram which show the various constructions and materials. Roughly this shows where carbon..etc is placed, not the amount.

Who this would relate to real word useable data is beyond me.

http://www.star-board.com/2009/pages/products/technology.php

May help, or the Internet search device GOOGLE

The discussion on the strongest board , is vague, lame, some years 3 constructions were offered, one would need to compare apples to apples.
Carve 111, formula , formula, Acid, Quad, we're all mine.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: