myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OPEN OCEAN, GLASS HELP WITH REPAIR MATERIALS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the mast track is far enough forward so that when waterstarting the booms can be rested on the tail, so I am guessing that maybe the pad there is to protect the board when doing so. Modern boards are so short that one can not do this with most high wind boards.

Nice board by the way! Looks a lot like the one I just got two weeks ago that I have not sailed yet. Mine too had a few small repairs to the rails with gobs of resin resulting in some crazing, which I am re doing. It weighs in about the same as yours.

Hope you get it on the water soon! Keep us posted.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
it looks like the mast track is far enough forward so that when waterstarting the booms can be rested on the tail, so I am guessing that maybe the pad there is to protect the board when doing so. Modern boards are so short that one can not do this with most high wind boards..

That depends on many factors, including rider height, sailing style, leg length, arm length, harness type and ergonomics, harness line length, the definition of "modern" boards, PERSONAL PREFERENCES, and more. Every board I've sailed from the early 90s to 2014, plus many more I've measured on the beach, measure about the same from tail to track, and at least 40 of the boards I've owned in that span are high-wind boards from 55 to 96 liters. I padded the very tail of every one of them to protect the boom and tail from each other when I rest the boom on the tail prior to a waterstart with every sail I own. That's just how all those variables play together for me, and as a bonus, it makes my thousands of waterstarts per season a HELLUVA lot easier.

I guess I'm kinda funny that way, but I don't LIKE having to jump into the air to hook in, being unable to reach the boom under sail without locking out both elbows, or having to unhook to slam one off the crest of a swell. The choice is a no-brainer for me, and some pros and many experts use shorter lines than I do.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently noticed my buddies OO soft spot exactly where that pad is. And it's not from resting a boom for a waterstart.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give up. What do you suppose this soft spot could be from? I never stomp my foot back there, but maybe some people do, for whatever reason.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dismount. Experienced sailors never want their rig to get in the water even when you lose control and need to dismount before you crash. I seem to be able to hang on the boom and not let it hit the back of the board and my buddy must? let the boom hit the tail a little too hard . You fall in a waterstart position.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the mast track is far enough forward so that when waterstarting the booms can be rested on the tail, so I am guessing that maybe the pad there is to protect the board when doing so. Modern boards are so short that one can not do this with most high wind boards.

Nice board by the way! Looks a lot like the one I just got two weeks ago that I have not sailed yet. Mine too had a few small repairs to the rails with gobs of resin resulting in some crazing, which I am re doing. It weighs in about the same as yours.

Hope you get it on the water soon! Keep us posted.

Thx. It won't be on the water till I go away to a higher wind place, spring most likely. Since I've never seen the pad prior, it's a mystery.
It makes sense since it IS A PAD to rest the boom on, or pad from damage.
OO has not answered to date.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
We recently noticed my buddies OO soft spot exactly where that pad is. And it's not from resting a boom for a waterstart.

Thx, think it a structor issue or what then ....?

westender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That board probably was built for someone who was worried about scratching their boom grip on the non skid? My friend is hard on his boards around the rear footstrap. Some of his other boards have rail damage in that area we decided were caused by the boom from various "sailing" maneuvers? It's a mystery. Just checked my boards and they're solid there?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx to all esp Bamer
Craig see your pm box.
Will close this out now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: