myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Intermediate board advice, retro or recent?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antekozina3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Intermediate board advice, retro or recent? Reply with quote

Hello everyone! This is my first post and should some tips. A returned in the world of windsurfing after 20 years. I spent a lot of hours at beginner board surfing.
Now with 42 years and 85 kg I get old mistral shredder 298 cm, 58 cm and 128 lit. And the tight slalom board I can uphaul and sail, but turns dont go. I managed to even glide but a complete feeling is very unstable. Yet such a slalom board and uphaul and gliding give me encouragement to continue.

I look at ads and think about buying other boards with which to progress before and easier to challenge the jibe, tack, etc.. As for the harness, I think it's the current board and sail setup is 100% catapult. Just do not have space to go wrong.Harness I need urgently, because without them I quickly get tired.
I could use a board that will forgive the occasional mistake and that I wanted on believing and have some fun. FUN?

I currently have two options. The poor retro € 200 old mistral new malibu 330 cm 65 cm 167 liters with degerboard and well preserved. But the very retro and too much money.

I'm interested in what you think about Naish Nitrix 260 cm 74 cm 145 liters from 2011. 350 €. Would this newer and broader board was a much better choice.

I've known a virtual volume is retro to , but is more recent board of 145 liters similar stability as well as 22 liters more voluminous than 10 cm narrower new malibu?

With the shredder I can sail, but would not want to repeat mistakes. Now I can go wrong in two ways. Or have two retro boards or have another newer board of insufficient volume.

I know there should be a possibility to try nitrix but it is 200 km away and on the island, it takes all day.

With the mistral new malibu the situation is that is 600 km away and it should use the delivery, if at all shipments delivered long 330 cm. And what about the careful transport.

Would I still need big shortboard of 155-170 lit. Or to try nitrix 145 lit.

I have no problem to invest another 300-400 € in the equipment, the sail is old North Sails Sting 3D 6m2 and will serve this season.

Somehow I think that I should still go to the newer equipment. Shredder in good condition LCS carbon from 1992-3. It dont look bad. New Malibu is 1989. Nitrix is from 2011.
I'm not too big hurry. I im at sea in 40 minutes, is just 38 km away. But when I'm at sea would love to sail and to use that time better.

Nitrix 145 from 2011 for € 350 is for now far the best advertisement. Wait a bigger board or Should I maybe just exercise more with shredder and be more persistent?...?
Sorry if the post is not absolutely clear. To draw up a post I used google to translate
All comments are welcome ...

sting 3D.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.77 KB
 Viewed:  16298 Time(s)

sting 3D.jpg

shredder.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  107.83 KB

shredder.jpg

ja jedrim.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.13 KB

ja jedrim.jpg

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the newer wider boards will make things much easier. The Naish Nitrix would be a good choice. You will love it. So much easier and enjoyable to sail.
antekozina3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks "slinky"

I am in a dilemma whether to wait and buy an even bigger board or still try nitrix 145. To test it I should go 120 km and then a ferry to the island and back. It would take me all day. The nitrix is ​​only 17 liters more volume and not extra wide board. Nitrix is freeride and has Slalom rocker and narrow tail. I'm not a big rush to buy. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, where I am small windsurf ads practically nonexistent. I look at the ads in Croatia. But the newer boards with 155-180 liters rarely offered for sale. I woud probably try to buy something like that, when it offers. Nitrix 145 is an interesting choice range and relatively low cost. It is also only 5 years old. But I guess I'll survive and € 100 more expensive board and that is comfortable ride. Until then it will schredder again several times in sea. If it catapult equipment is old. I guess there will be no injuries.

Last edited by antekozina3 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your dilemma. The Nitrix is not ideal, but a big improvement over what you have and will be much easier to uphaul and sail. It has plenty of flotation for a 100 kg. person. You are sailing in lakes? How much wind?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do live ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
antekozina3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky U2U2U2 Thanks!

I'm in Ljubuski Bosnia and Herzegovina. I windsurf in Blace Ušće Neretva in Croatia( 38 km near Smile ). Thats very good place for kiters, but i wana windsurf. There are some windsurfers that learning it. Last time (past monday) 5 or 6 windsurfs and 30+ kiters. Its shallow water and is ideal mistral wind blows on the coast. The Wind is 10-15 knots. Its from 15-17 h ok to windsurf. The wind is always bether than its on wether forecast. Good spot. Im now 171 cm 85 kg.
Can uphoul shredder and sail at this place on moderate waves of 50 cm. I plains 2 times without harness. One ancient catapult from 25 years ago and torn borrowed sail are in my head stil . Tack is probably not for my weight on shredder, but jibe maybe I should try at a higher speed.
I will wait board thats 155+ lit. It will be safe shopping.
antekozina3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#42.991,17.314,10,1
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at your local spot in those winds you need a bigger sail, at least 7.5. If the mast you have is a 460 cm. and booms at least 200 cm. then a 7,5 should fit without needing another mast and booms which can get very expensive! I just checked windance in Hood River Or. they ship worldwide at good rates. I have been getting all of my gear from them for several years and have always been very happy. http://www.windance.com/7.5m-World-Sails-Blast-2009-CDB6500S001/ I have used this brand of sail in the past and they are quite good.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antekozina3 - The Shredder is/was a fast, smooth,PLANING board for moderate wind conditions with a 6.0 to 7.5 sized sail, and in straps and harness. THAT'S when it comes alive. It also gybes very well in a longish fast smooth arc. It's down side, as you say, is its tippiness (long and narrow) off the plane, especially if not well powered by only a small sail.

I question the claim that short and wide would be be superior to the Shredder in lighter wind PLANING. Some of us had countless hours of fun and satisfaction on the Shredder in just those conditions.

It's too easy to ridicule the older boards as no longer being viable, but, I would say that, if you master the Shredder with a bigger sail, in those moderate wind conditions, the smile on your face would be enormous!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the Sting in any winds below 22 knots.
Lower you boom to top of shoulder heights, no more. Higher booms are for Formula board sailing, not reaching.
Shredder is an excellent easy riding board. It has enough float for your weight, and any bigger would cost more money and plane up maybe TWO knots of wind earlier, which is not worth the extra money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: