myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hey y'all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Hey y'all Reply with quote

Another good day out on the lake. Thanks for all the input on the last post it really helped get me planing! For the first time today I finally got the board up to speed and on top. I was finally seeing a little rooster tail! Winds were actually not that strong. I used my little digital anemometer before selecting a rig and it showed 7mph-8mph when I arrived so I grabbed my biggest sail the 7.5 and my monster 495 fiberglass mast that weighs a ton. I don't really care for that set up but I found I was able to handle it a lot easier now that I've gotten practice with the carbon mast and 6.5 sail from the last couple of times. the wind picked up a little bit probably to around 10mph avg. while I was out there, I found myself in a lot more control of the rig and was able to get low and really hang on the boom with all my weight pushed out over the water at times. I noticed It was a lot easier since the winds were not gusting also. There's a lot to be said for Predictable steady winds with no gusting. Oh and the best part, I got in some good practice of beach starting in about knee deep water, and stepping up on the board and letting the sail pull me up. I think I finally have the hang of that now. Next time I think I'll practice in waist deep and try maybe water starting if I get the hang of that.

Is there a minimum wind speed to expect to be able to water start with a 7.5 sail? I mean, I'm 180# and I'm watching videos and these guys make it look so easy, they just pop up out of the water and on to these skinny little boards. I'm thinking the wind must be haulin ass and I'm just not seeing it in the video.

As always, thanks for the input/suggestions!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind minimum for most windsurfer's is around 10 mph, regardless of the size of the sail because a small sail (5.0 for you) is much lighter in weight than a big sail (8.0 for you).
For those really skilled, the wind minimum is around 4 mph, when they throw the sail up into the breeze, grab the foot of the sail and the bottom of the mast, and use the momentum of the rig going over the top to lift their torso up onto the board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: