myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
stacking boards in van long term
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: stacking boards in van long term Reply with quote

I found out that I can store more boards in my van by stacking them without support racks. The downside is that the bottom board is constantly subjected to the total weight of approximately 51 lbs (three boards) above it. Wondering if this arrangement is safe for the boards long term.

IMG_0081.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.93 MB
 Viewed:  11098 Time(s)

IMG_0081.JPG

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight.. Think it's fine.
If it's hot , I would worry about the inside temp. I would removed the vent plugs and park in the shade as much as possible.

I think your weight is more than 51lbs, and it's in a rather specific area, not spread out.

You need to expect some scratches from the stack, without any padding inbetween, towel, blanket, Dolly Partons bras.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can stack 5 board s on the PVC racks, they have to be established in a certain order, and the top 2, 1 larger, 1 small.
On the box, if wanted I can put 2 additional boards, lay on edge, with one or both footstraps sets removed.
Inside the box will hold approx, 6 sails, additional sails can be inserted along side some boards in the rack.

This would be a travel mode to carry the maximum possible, it's not my local setup. Which would be 4 boards max.

Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a pretty nice setup. In my case, I can't use PVC racks since I don't have enough width in my van to accommodate my vertically stored 10' Windsup, which sit in the middle and extended all the way to the front seats. My bottom board is wood sandwich but the top three are all carbon and up to 100 liter (14lb to 15lb each new). Adding the weight of foot straps, I figure each should weigh no more than 17lb. I could add more boards if weight is not a concern. Wink
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with some abrasion resistant barriers, like board bags. You have to remember that there is some vibration always happening in all directions across the length of the van. Another thing to consider is forward movement when braking, particularly emergency type stuff.

However, without some kind of rack structure, it's always tough to select the boards on the bottom of the stack. That's taking them out and putting them back in every time.

There's always a price to pay.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect, if you don't make a rack, multiple boards might be be stored on edge, and if your van is tall enough, double stack it with a PVC rack.
I like U2's idea of 2 boards per compartament, but you might need to know the dimensions of each of your boards to really fit it tightly.
I just drove to Sherman with 2 Formula boards on edge, Futura 111, Exocet Speed Slider 95, Tabou Speedster 100, Hi Fly Free 259, Naish Wave 8'5", JP FSW 84, Rogue Wave 8'6", 14 sails, 12 masts, and 3 booms.
Plenty of room for at least 3 more boards, or 8 more sails, but the mast compartment is maxed out at 12.
Ram Pro Master short bed low roof.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ram Promaster is 5" wider than my Toyota Sienna and that makes all the difference in the world. There is not enough room for a rack if I put the 10' windsup in the middle. BTW, I have considered getting a Ram Promaster but the online review is pretty bad. How do you like yours?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, we were heading for the Ford dealer but we searched a few reviews and it was pretty bad.
Anyways, hard to tell at 6,000 miles. New van is still a van, not a BMW. I rode in 3 Mercedes Van's after we got ours, and I'm glad we got the Ram and not the Mercedes.
It's my 3rd windsurf van, I've had 4 other motocross vans, so van's aren't too special for me.
So far, nothing of note, knock on wood. Every one of my other vans had some problems, so that's life.
24 mpg to Rio at 65 mph, we mainly drive half freeway, half town, for a combined 17.4 mpg. 3.6 gas motor.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry.
The narrowness of the Siena is the reason to stack your boards up on edge, which allows the SUP up the middle of the seats. That way, you can have 3 windsurf boards on each side of the SUP....up on edge.
Lots of Formula racer's do this too, when they carry three slalom boards, one bump n jump, and one wave board around. No racks for them, they use board bags, which is part of airline travel.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rack is a variation of Kevin Kans. the car is a Town n Country
Should be the same as a Toyota inside.

I fit a 9'6" sup on the top rung, with my smallest 77l on top of it, fitting needs to be done in sequence.

I noticed now you have some pool noodles inbetween.
Again I don't feel the weight will be a issue.

I do see you unloading boards to get to the bottom one.
Oh my SUP , INTRUDES OVER THE PASSANGER SEAT, but is above my window and mirror view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: