myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Wind Board for 195 lb sailor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrrry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Light Wind Board for 195 lb sailor Reply with quote

Didn't want to hijack the other light wind board post, regarding a light wind board.

I'm 195 lbs, good intermediate sailor, straps, harness, water starts etc.

Goal is a light wind board for fun, but has some upwind capability and still moves ok off plane.

Strongly considering a Kona.... thoughts?

Also looking at the JP Superlight, and the JP Formula boards... thoughts on which would be better?

Thanks...
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, unless you are a hammer on boards and can't jibe at all, JP Lightwind and Starboard UltraSonic's are the two lightest wind planing boards on the market.
Formula's can work for light wind, but still require a 70 fin and 11 meter sail.
If your sail sizing doesn't include 11's, go with a dedicated light wind slalom board.
However, nobody posted what they thought was "light wind". And where?
Where I sail, Berkeley Ca., light wind is 14-20 mph, and at 150 lbs., I don't use my SuperSport109, my Futura 111, or Magic118, but a Exocet 95 that is 62 cm wide. Plenty to fly around with a 34 cm fin and a 6 meter any kind of sail.
If it drops 2 mph from that, it's just not sailable, as it changes to nothing or comes back up.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 200. My "light wind" kit is an old Formula board (270 x 84), and an 8.5 Pryde V8. These work pretty darn well.

I sort of like the old Formula board because at 270 long, it is easy to tack. I am not sure that I could do that on a Starboard Ultrasonic or JP SLW.
scargo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted, you need to tell us what wind range you're talking about. But I'd be very careful about stepping through the "plane at all costs" wormhole, especially since you cite upwind ability and "ok off plane" as important considerations. Formula boards and the like are no fun to sail off plane, and unless you're willing to invest in a 10+ meter sail, a 520 mast, a huge carbon boom (I just clicked off $2000 right there), you probably shouldn't bother.

I don't know that anyone has ever regretted buying a K1, but of course there are other longboard options as well.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to the Kona, yes to wanting a board that still moves ok off plane, yes to still having fun without planing. And yes to any other available long board

Many beginners get hooked on windsurfing long before they experience planing. Planing is the wonderful ice cream on top of the superb pie of windsurfing. Turning down sailing when planing isn't possible is like turning down pie because there is no ice cream.

Light wind for me is 5-12 mph, moderate wind is 13-19, strong wind is 20-25, close to too strong is 26-30, definitely out of my league is 31+.
AG80

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Del. If looking for fun in nonplaning conditions, longboard such as the K1. Consider windsup for 0-15 mph.
pete1111

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 195 have a 135 Angulo magnum and use it with an 8.5 retro and that gets me going in about 10 mph wind.
Just got a 10.0 Hot Sails Speed Freak and gets going in just a little less but with the single cam it tends to pump a bit better and hold the profile through the lows much better. The sail is super light and got 28 kts in 15mph winds on the gps.
lrrry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All,

Thanks much for the great replies.

My light wind is below 10kts.... and would like to plane at 8 kts if possible.
My normal sails are in the 10 to 12.5 meter range, and work well on my Prodegy and Formula board.

Just looking for a bit better low wind planing. The Forumla is ok, but poor without planing, and difficult to sale up wind... especially against an outgoing tide which happens.

I live in St. Pete, FL where we get some reasonably consistent ~10kt sea breezes in the late afternoon, if the thunderstorms aren't too bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions... keep them coming.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrrry wrote:
All,

Thanks much for the great replies.

My light wind is below 10kts.... and would like to plane at 8 kts if possible.
My normal sails are in the 10 to 12.5 meter range, and work well on my Prodegy and Formula board.

Just looking for a bit better low wind planing. The Forumla is ok, but poor without planing, and difficult to sale up wind... especially against an outgoing tide which happens.

I live in St. Pete, FL where we get some reasonably consistent ~10kt sea breezes in the late afternoon, if the thunderstorms aren't too bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions... keep them coming.

IF you have a Formula board and a 10 meter sail, there probably isn't much else that will get you planing in marginal winds. An Ultrasonic or JP SLW would probably plane just about as fast, and be easier to sail on a reach, but would not go upwind as well. Going upwind is all about technique - you pull the sail back and you lean forward, so that you are looking around the mast quite a bit. Of course, you can't do that if you are not planing.

If that is not your bag, than a Kona or Kona Carbone might be your best friend.

Personally, I am intrigued by the thought of picking up a Carbone in order to spend more time on the water. The only thing holding me back is that I spend time on a road bike, and on the driving range.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're looking at a foil for your Formula board, for the lightest wind planing possible. That 3' fin, coupled with the wings at the end, should allow planing down to the 5 knot threshold with a 10 meter sail. With a ton of pumping, of course, since you weigh 195. Just make sure no fish swim under your board, and you have 4' of water clearance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: