myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New guy, 2 sessions in and having a great time!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an attempt in the ocean last night, that was a mistake. Being severely underpowered on a nice flat lake is far preferable to being mostly underpowered in 2' swell. It was a long walk back up the beach, I just couldn't get above a beam reach.
I've got a pretty good idea that I need a least one decent sail over 7.0m and preferably +8.0 so I can progress on the lake.
I also think I'll need to upgrade my mast since this one is apparently extremely stiff (mcs30) and a flex top(?) to boot. Likely won't rig any remotely modern sail.

There is a Mistral one design 7.4 ATS for sale cheap locally that I'm tempted by since it could be had with a more modern 490 mast and it's in far better shape than any of my larger sails.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus continues the one sided conversation!
Got out on the lake and actually had enough wind to get onto the harness for more than a few seconds. For a few brief moments I was able to get back a little on the board without sinking the tail. I think with a larger/better shaped sail I would have definitely been planing. The feeling of being pulled forward by the sail and then almost kind of pushing the board with your feet is a strange one!

Grant
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're having a blast! That's the addiction. With your sailing background you have a great start and should progress fast. No worries, every session is fun and a learning experience. First time you get back in both straps you will feel the rush. Light speed. No turning back at that point. Addiction for life. By the way, You Tube and videos are your best friend. Plenty of tips.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get a Topsails slalom 4 camber 7.5 for almost nothing. Assuming it'll rig on my mast is it worth getting? I figure an extra meter couldn't hurt but might be hard to handle. I'd really like a non-cambered +8.0m but they are all way outside my price range.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a 2006 Retro 7.5 for $125 which looks in good shape all things considered. Should be a significant upgrade on my existing sail.
Getting to windward better (less rail in the water than i was using) although still no luck on planing. I tried for the front strap (wishful thinking) and all I got was rather rounded up. I'm guessing once I get onto plane that'll not be happening.
Tacks are almost always dry and with some small amount of speed retention, gybes I am a little less successful with simply because I've been working really hard to stay upwind. Last night was the first time I had gotten far enough to windward to actually play around some, although an hour's progress disappeared right quick once I got off the wind.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a pretty good deal..... provided that the 10 year old Retro
hadn't seen too much sun. Ask some questions about that, and maybe
check the monofilm closely. If it's really crinkly, it's high risk for a blow
out.

-Craig

p.s. I love Retros

grantmac017 wrote:
Found a 2006 Retro 7.5 for $125 which looks in good shape all things considered. Should be a significant upgrade on my existing sail.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting out on my extremely vintage sails. Seems like a LOT of work when it's gusty. Felt like I was near planing a couple of times today but not quite fast enough to get in the straps without rounding up.
I did sail a couple of non planing reaches in the front strap and it is definitely a more direct kind of feel.
Hopefully I'll have the newer sail by the weekend and perhaps a little bit of wind as well.

Is there a hard order of operations to plane? Like is it harness, plane then straps?

Thanks,
Grant
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much that order.

You need to keep MBP (Mast Base Pressure) as you move back to get in the straps. Either hanging down in the harness or forward arm pushing downward or a combination of both to keep from heading up into the wind. May need to be pushing the board off of the wind via the front foot as well. After a while you do it naturally and do not even realize you are doing it, and you wonder why you used to turn into the wind when learning.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you start planing then move your feet back? Or does it sort of happen at the same time?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, watch this and the sequence will become apparent.

https://youtu.be/AXtueb0rgzM

-Craig

grantmac017 wrote:
So do you start planing then move your feet back? Or does it sort of happen at the same time?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: