myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New guy, 2 sessions in and having a great time!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Here, watch this and the sequence will become apparent.

https://youtu.be/AXtueb0rgzM

HAH! Back Foot First! Very Happy

But "The Sequence" is not cast in stone. When learning to get in the straps, the primary rule is Thou Shalt Not Sink The Tail (lest ye stall). The second rule is Thou Shalt Not Sink The Windward Rail (lest ye round up ... presuming no daggerboard). There are number of ways to avoid both, all focused on maintaining flat longitudinal and lateral board trim by keeping your effective weight centered near the mast via weight distribution among our three "feet".

That's one reason many new WSers have trouble rounding up. They put their front foot in first, transfer their weight to it so they can pick up the back foot and stick it in its strap, and immediately round up because that weighted front foot is windward of the centerline. One solution is to transfer all our weight front and center via the harness and/or our weighted front foot forward and on the centerline, then slip that unused and unweighted back foot into its strap, start planing, THEN ease our weight aft onto that strapped-in back strap while keeping the plane, then when that back foot (aided by the harness if necessary) will support our weight without sinking the planing tail, slip your now unnecessary and unweighted FRONT foot into its strap. This whole process keeps all your weight forward and on the centerline the entire time, avoiding roundup and tailsink. Craig's video illustrates that process clearly, except that his front foot is off center simply because most of his weight is in his harness. The less weight in the harness at this point, the more helpful it is to keep that front foot front and center.

The same technique works fine whether on 240 liters or 65 liters; the smaller the board and the wilder the conditions, the more it helps.

Guys who have mastered only the front foot first technique will howl in protest that their approach is mandatory, but the thousands of sailors who do it both ways prove them wrong. Versatility is one of the things that make this sport so great. Who wants to PLAY by a fixed set of RULES?

Mike \m/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderately frustrated today. Just barely nor enough wind to plane. Very top of the gusts it go close but just wouldn't for it. Able to keep from rounding up much better however.
The 7.5 retro is easy to rig and definitely points upwind better in very light conditions but isn't the powerhouse I was expecting. Can't cheat physics I suppose.
Spent a little time trying to learn the beach start and it would seem I'll need a much shorter fin and more wind to make that happen.

I'm actively regretting not spending a bit more (not much with the new sail) on that Rio which was for sale.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you know me, it's definitely FFF ;*). But there is a lot of swell riding
in those shots, and my back foot is actually out a lot (which is how I ride
swell), it sits on the pad in front of the back foot strap. Anyway, the point
is to show where the feet enter the sequence. Which way you enter the
straps is up to you. I used to be a die hard FFF guy, but I've mellowed
in my old age, plus I ride with a guy who rips and he uses BFF.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
Here, watch this and the sequence will become apparent.

https://youtu.be/AXtueb0rgzM

HAH! Back Foot First! Very Happy

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Nope, you know me, it's definitely FFF ;*).

Closer examination via frame by frame proves you right. All that black (booties) on black (pads) on black (straps) crap (plus the flying spray) fooled me. (That's one reason I Will. Not. Use. those cursed all-black internal adjustment footstraps.)

However, you could have just as easily put that back foot in first at 22 seconds, so your video is still a good demonstration of the technique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: