myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Review on Gator Severne vs. Ezzy Cheetah
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's hyperbole right? The Legacy is a well-made and lightweight sail for sure. I don't think an extra pound of weight (which is arguably a lot for two sails of the same size) is going to cause any back problems for your average in-shape windsurfer. I think the extra weight is mostly at the bottom of the sail where it matters less. The sleeve is so narrow on the lion that the water weight can be effectively ignored as well. I'm sure the legacy is lighter feeling though as it seems to have less draft, as well as being actually physically lighter.
SupSURFmachines3716

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:
that's hyperbole right?

Nope. It wasn't expecting to feel this way when I bought my first Legacy. I bought it strictly for foiling, where you up haul a lot. So every little bit of weight shed is a big deal.

When I tried the legacy on my slalom boards, that's when the fire sale of my Cheetah and Lion 3 happened.
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legacy is obviously cheaper as well - do you feel the legacy is just as powerful at the low-end in the 7.5 size?

To the OP - Lion 9.5 is a great sail for light-wind planing on bigger boards. I have used it with my 120L gecko, 145L X-cite ride, and Starboard Ultrasonic (147). It pairs best with the bigger ultrasonic in appropriate conditions. Unfortunately, because of our conditions in the Midwest, it is my most used sail. I have had it for 3-4 years now and it has really increased my time on the water and helped me become a better windsurfer.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love my 9.5 Lion. Bigger guy like me need bigger sails. But I also find large sails can have stability problems. This doesn't happen with the Lion. I use it on my Kona One when I know I'll be planing and want a smoother ride than the ride provided with the 9.0 Kona sail. In more wind, I switch down to a 7.5 Ezzy freeride.

People say that cammed sails are hard to jibe. I'm not yet a good jiber but let me tell you that I managed my first fully planing jibe with a cammed RS:X sail. So don't fear cammed sails if your are looking for stability.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrrry wrote:
justall wrote:
If maximizing the plane with light winds in potentially fluky wind, I'd cast a vote for an Ezzy Lion3, based on my initial few rides. David Ezzy told me the cams would rotate effortlessly and fit my goals/preferences ... My experience now with a 7.5, and first Ezzy, agrees with that claim. Funny, carrying the Lion to the beach was even fun, as the thing felt like a wing full of helium ... I carried it for a while by holding the mast with my index finger and thumb (not that that means anything, but was neat).

But, it looks like you might favor maneuvering and easiest jibing over maximizing low wind plane. A non-cam may be your better bet, and then you have the earlier responder comments for help with that. I have been looking at a 6.0 Cheetah, too, wanting something to 'feel' really light, but have wondered if it might not quite feel like that.

Justall,

Thx... I've been thinking of the Lion3... so I wrote David Ezzy to get his opinion. Goal would be easy planning in light winds, followed by easy of jibes, tacking and handling. Rigging is not an issue at all with any one of these sails.

I wrote David Ezzy and asked him which would be more powerful in marginal conditions: Ezzy Lion 7.5, Zephyr, or Cheetah 8.0.

He answered cheetah 8.0. So I bought one.

full disclosure: I already own a Lion 7.5 and a Zephyr. I actually think the Zephyr is a wonderful sail for what it is. I can't wait to try the Cheetah 8.0.
justall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:

I wrote David Ezzy and asked him which would be more powerful in marginal conditions: Ezzy Lion 7.5, Zephyr, or Cheetah 8.0.

He answered cheetah 8.0. So I bought one.

full disclosure: I already own a Lion 7.5 and a Zephyr. I actually think the Zephyr is a wonderful sail for what it is. I can't wait to try the Cheetah 8.0.

I didn't realize the 8.0 Cheetah still fits on a 460cm mast, too.
SupSURFmachines3716

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:
The legacy is obviously cheaper as well - do you feel the legacy is just as powerful at the low-end in the 7.5 size?

I think it is. It feels grunty.

The legacy is easier to get the whole sail flopping and pumping well too.

The lion is the hardest of the 3 models to get flopping and pumping well.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed my 8.0 Cheetah today on my old Formula board.

When I started, it was slogging conditions - wind around 12 -13. I have a Neil Pryde V8 8.5 which has a really good low end; that sail would not have gotten me planing in those conditions.

But then, for around a half hour, the wind came up to around 15 - 16. The Cheetah had my flying. I weigh 205.

When slogging, the Cheetah was lighter in the hands than the Retro 8.5 that I sailed earlier in the year. When planing the Cheetah felt way lighter than the Retro, and really nicely balanced. I had the sail set on the medium setting. By the way, when sitting on the beach, you can see a really nice foil in the Cheetah.

My initial reaction is that the Zephyr feels like it might have more low end - but maybe that is just a "heavier" feel. David Ezzy says that the Cheetah 8.0 has more low end than the Zephyr. The Cheetah feels a bit lighter, and once planing it feels slipperier. It would be really fun to sail the Zephyr and Cheetah 8.0 head to head; the Zephyr might have more drive up wind? Don't know.

I do know that for me, Cheetah 8.0 makes my Lion 7.5 redundant. The Lion would have more range, but when the Cheetah 8.0 becomes too much sail, I will want to be on my Cheetah 6.5, which is my favorite, and a 125 lt board.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit:

Sailed the Cheetah 8.0 with a Tabou Rocket 125 (the newest, wider one) today. Wind blowing 14 - 17 gusting to just 20. Lovely combo. Nice, light, easy. In just a bit less wind, the Cheetah would also partner with my Firemove 122. Or one size bigger Firemove or Rocket Wide (128?) in the same conditions that I was using it yesterday on the old Formula board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: