myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Taboo Rocket 115 or 125 as first board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alconradsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Taboo Rocket 115 or 125 as first board Reply with quote

I tried a Taboo Rocket 135 a few days ago and I really liked it. I’m thinking about getting one in 115 or 125l but not sure which would be the better choice.

I currently only have a 5.3 sail and I’m thinking of getting a 7.5 and a 6.5. Will the 7.5 too big for the 115? It’s right on the upper limit of the recommended sail size.

Typical conditions are flat water and 14-18 knots. Often gusty.

I’m able to to beach start and comfortably using the harness. Still working on getting in the foot straps, water start and gybing.

I weigh 160 lbs.
pmlct

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get better you will want a smaller board for the 5.3/higher wind days so I would say get the 125 liter size to go with the big sails for your typical conditions. I weigh 185, own rockets in the 125 and 135 sizes and also own smaller boards. The 125 carries a 7.5 very well but at my size I like the extra float of the 135 when I use sails that big. I think the 115 will always be borderline small for a 7.5 for you, in the conditions where you would want some extra float just to make sailing easier.

Would you consider a 7.0 on the 115 size? You would sail that combo most of the time but then drop to a 5.8 or 6.0.

Where do you sail?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm your weight, I had a 115Rocket, I have a 135 Rocket.

The 115 is not pleasant slogging on a 7.5, doable yes, powered up fine.
IMO the 115 is not better choice.

The 115 would be a slightly better choice for the 5.5
The 125 ... The 7.5

Either on the 6.5

It's always a hard decision..when it comes to 10 liters difference.
The 115 would be a steeper learning curve, the 125 easier to sail initially .

You may look at an additional board in the future and plan this one accordingly.
You could also consider a 135....
Then add a say, 105...

I consider the Tabou Rockets greats boards, had/ 3.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three Rockets: 95, 115, and 145. The 115 matches perfectly with a 7.0, and the 95 matches perfectly with a 5.5. For the 14-18 flatwater conditions you describe, I think I'd opt for the 115, although the other posters make good points too. A lot depends on if, and how soon, you intend to get a smaller board. If you're thinking of using the new Rocket as a "do everything" board for your conditions--i.e., are going to defer getting a small board for a long time--I'd opt for the 115. But if you're interested in planing in a little less wind, and are going to get something like a 95 within a couple years, maybe the 125. Tough call.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scargo wrote:
I have three Rockets: 95, 115, and 145. The 115 matches perfectly with a 7.0, and the 95 matches perfectly with a 5.5. For the 14-18 flatwater conditions you describe, I think I'd opt for the 115, although the other posters make good points too. A lot depends on if, and how soon, you intend to get a smaller board. If you're thinking of using the new Rocket as a "do everything" board for your conditions--i.e., are going to defer getting a small board for a long time--I'd opt for the 115. But if you're interested in planing in a little less wind, and are going to get something like a 95 within a couple years, maybe the 125. Tough call.

This echoes my post, tough call.
FWIW.. My first short board was a 118, using a 6.0 it was ok, but just ok, the learning curve was hard steep and lots of disappointments, with great rewards later on.

Of course YMMV

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon a second reading of the original question, I paused at the part about you still learning to get in the straps. That certainly militates in favor of a bigger board, as the 115 could give you fits. Together with the fact that in flatwater conditions, there's not much of a penalty to be paid for sailing a board that's "too big," I'll change my vote to 125.

Or maybe consider a Rocket Wide? I have no personal experience, but it's something to think about.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

14-18 knts at 160 lbs, get the 125. The 125 will allow you to use smaller sails to learn how to plane in the same wind the 115 would need and at your stage this would be huge. You are not going to outgrow the 125 in 14-18 knts and the 115 would only be marginally better in the 18 knt range.

Coachg
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't own a board and is comfortable using a harness and beach starting? Nice. But Really?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had acquired skills over a year or so and could water start , make more that half of your turns and in the straps, go 115. I'm 165 lbs. In your stated wind conditions I would use my 115 and a 6.5 and be nicely powered up. I have 35 plus years of acquired skills. It does make a difference. My bigger friends ride the 125 and they make it fly. For me its a little big. That said, for you there is very little disadvantage going to the 125. It will ride a bit harsh if the chop gets up but that's when a Tabou 3s 96 will shine.
alconradsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input. Right now I’m leaning toward the 125 as I still have a lot to learn. I will definitely get a smaller board at some point though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: