myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carolla NC here I commeth....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Carolla NC here I commeth.... Reply with quote

Leaving this Friday when the clock strikes midnight (I guess Saturday technically) with the family in the truck and gear in the back, for our yearly OBX family get together.

Pretty excited about the wind forecasts I'm seeing so far, less excited about the potential for rain.

I've windsurfed in the rain, since starting back in March of this year, but I'm also not super smart or savvy in the many ways of windsurfing. I'm aware of the chance for getting much colder much faster with being wet constantly, so there is that. Is there a reason, other then thunder and lightening, that should keep me off the water when its raining?

Appreciate your time and help as always =). Always like getting input from people who know more then me....which is still basically every Tom, Dick and Harry (or Sally) out there.

On another note!!!

Since starting earlier this year, and with much help and tips from all you fine folks out there, I've been told by some people that saw me start out that I've gotten much better so far. I can beach start pretty solidly and can cruise around with confidence safely in most wind directions and speeds.

This summer got hectic real quick for me so I didn't get out as much as I wanted to for a solid month it seems. My grandma was sick and I had to fly down to Florida twice yatta yatta....

ALSO! I got my wife excited about it. She can uphaul and go up and down wind.... tacking.... she's working on it.

So thank you all for your help and support! It's been much appreciated and hopefully I can get my kids into it in the future.

--Derik--
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed in rain a bunch of times - from light rain to heavy downpours. Light rain is no big deal and can be quite fun, especially if the wind is good and you can feel it sting your face. You have to squint to see. Pouring rain often kills the wind so be prepared for dramatic wind drops if that occurs - make sure you can still get back in. Many area of the Sound in Hatteras are very shallow and you can often walk back in if needed. Don't put too much faith in the weather forecast for Hatteras - things change so rapidly down there and the weather can vary considerably a few miles north or south so expect changes from the forecast. I always enjoyed watching distant thunder storms out over the Sound or over the ocean - especially at night. You see the lightening way off on the horizon but don't hear the thunder. Really cool. Enjoy your trip!

Rob
rollerrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not get cold windsurfing in the rain this time of year in OBX. No wetsuit required just maybe a wind proof shirt. However the rain usually shuts down the wind even if the forecast calls for a windy day. Unless there is some major storm most of the rain forecasts down here are inaccurate because it's scattered pockets of thunder showers. I've seen days with 20% chance and it rains on and off all day. Then 60% chance with just a few clouds. If you see wind on the meters go. Don't wait till later in the day when the rain is more likely to occur. But strongest winds usually start about 3:00 PM. If you want to maximize your time on the water also watch the radar maps. If it's not raining in the southern OBX take a drive down to Salvo day use area or Canadian Hole (Haul Over).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rain would likely be colder than the water

COROLLA...

I have never sailed there.
The further south like Avon, Buxton, Hatteras are far more popular.
The shops, for rental are mostly in Avon.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salvo and Avon sites are great, and well worth the drive, but it's a hike from Corolla. You'd probably want to pack the family in the truck and make it a day trip. Jockey's Ridge and Windmill Point in the Nags Head area will be about 40 minutes closer. If you see white caps, you might want to stop there. Don't leave wind to find wind! WP is better for beginners/ intermediates, as there is more shallow water. Don't worry about the rain. It will be warm and, if the wind dies, you can walk back in.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell from your post, how long you will be there, if it's for a few days, yes you may want to stay close. If it's a week ,watch the forecast and head to the Avon side, From The Salvo day use area and south the conditions could be different.

Suggest to touching with the shops for a expect appraisal of the forecast.
Both Ocean Air and Wind-NC are extremely helpful

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great time, hope you're blessed with constant 20 mph winds, and post pictures when you get back......
Road trips are priceless, and can withstand any tests of time.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Derik, Great timing! August is usually a bit hit or miss but the forecast looks great for next week! *knock on wood* If the forecast holds up, it's looking like afternoon SW every day, so you can expect high teens to low twenties starting around 2 or 3 pm, all the way through sunset. Gotta love the Bermuda High!!

Thunderstorms are a definite possibility, so keep your ears and eyes open and get off the water if anything is coming your way. The posters above are correct, though- the storms are usually in a pretty thin band and will only affect one area, so driving an hour south (or staying put if the storms are all south of you) could have you in clear weather all day. Just bear in mind that lightning can strike tens of miles away from where it originates, so its always best to play it safe.

This time of year, there is usually lightning associated with the rain events, but if you find yourself sailing in other places with rain but no electricity, check out the Gath Helmets and their optional visors. I use them all the time in our Fall and Winter rain/snow events, and they are super awesome- no more squinting of the upwind eye, and no more stinging face. Check out the full face and half face visors at the link below Cool

http://shop.wind-nc.com/collections/helmets

Swing by the shop and say hello if you make it down to Hatteras!

http://wind-nc.com
Derikthin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be leaving tonight at midnight after packing the kiddos in their car seats and dragging the wife into the truck.

Will probably try to stick in Carolla as the traffic is abysmal in the OBX in the summer. I will try to make it down to the Wind shop =), how can I not?!

I'll keep you all posted, and God willing the forecast stays!

I'm thinking about maybe trying some wave sailing with the long board if the wind isn't to strong. But safety above all, so we'll see.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the traffic won't be so bad mid week. Might consider packing the family in the truck for a little day trip south. My son, when he was small, used to love walking and swimming around in the shallow warm water of the sound. Used to park at the far south end of the Canadian Hole where it was really shallow for him. I'd sit him facing backwards on one of my boards (with no sail) and he would hold onto the footstraps and the wind would push him down the beach - it was hilarious how fast me moved. Anyway - enjoy yourselves. Hatteras is the best family trip.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: