myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best board for my weight/skill?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom.riddle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Best board for my weight/skill? Reply with quote

Hi. I have a big old Mistral Escape, with a 6.8 sail w/ 4 battens, which I have been sailing for years. I can go out in about 15-20 MPH winds with a little, not a lot of chop. Can jibe as efficiently as you can do on a board that size. I'm ready for a board without a daggerboard.

Massachusetts has mostly light winds in the summer, but I have an old semi-dry suit and do go out well into the fall (lakes & bays)

I'm 5'7, 155 lbs. Looking for a wide/light freeride, not a wave board.

What would be the lowest volume board that I could always uphaul say a 7.5M sail? And any recommendations on boards would be most welcome

THanks,

Tom
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best board for my weight/skill? Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I'm not really a "freeride" kinda guy, so filter my suggestions, but, at 155 plus the weight of a newer board and sail, you're be ankles awash at around 90 ltrs which is uphaulable, but I think the minimum you'd want for up hauling is around 110 ltrs, and you can't really go wrong in Freeride boards as that is the industries bread and butter freeride size. Tabou Rocket Wides are getting good reviews, but an RRd Firemove, or even a Starboard Carve around the 110 ltr mark could be good. They all run about 20 lbs with straps and fin, in their lightest construction. I think if you want to run a 7.5 you might want to have maybe a little more volume say about 115 ltrs at your weight.

-Craig

tom.riddle wrote:
Hi. I have a big old Mistral Escape, with a 6.8 sail w/ 4 battens, which I have been sailing for years. I can go out in about 15-20 MPH winds with a little, not a lot of chop. Can jibe as efficiently as you can do on a board that size. I'm ready for a board without a daggerboard.

Massachusetts has mostly light winds in the summer, but I have an old semi-dry suit and do go out well into the fall (lakes & bays)

I'm 5'7, 155 lbs. Looking for a wide/light freeride, not a wave board.

What would be the lowest volume board that I could always uphaul say a 7.5M sail? And any recommendations on boards would be most welcome

THanks,

Tom
BritishSteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Volume for uphaul Reply with quote

It does depend a little on the volume distribution of the board. I am heavier at 185, but I have a 2014 120 liter Angulo Release, which I usually use a 7.0. No problem uphauling. The newer boards tend to be a little wider which makes uphauling a little easier. Good all around freeride board. I also used it yesterday with a 5.6. Roughly one liter for every 2 lbs to float you. I've never tried it with my 8.5, which I usually use on an 130 liter race board, but this starts to bounce around a lot if very choppy. My 100 liter board floats me, but a little more tricky to uphaul. My 86 liter board, will not float be and I've never tried uphauling it. So I agree with Craig. (30lbs = 15 liters), so minimum 100-110 liters. Hope this helps.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, lots has to do with skill level for a 155 lbs sailor, stuck using a 6.5 and 7.5 most of the time.
If your jibing and waterstart skills aren't solid, a bigger board would always make windsurfing easier.
However, given some jibing skills, and 155 lbs, I'd go with a JP SuperSport 109, which is what I use for the lightest winds of around 11-17 mph, or a similar FreeRace type board of just over 100 liters of volume.
The reason for the smaller board is LESS volume, so it's lighter in weight, and the sailor has more power over the board, thru pumping. Of course, the smaller the board, the more skill is needed, down to around 100 liters on a 7.5 meter sail.
For YOU, which you care about more, it's a dead heat between high volume, like 145 liters x 78 cm widths for ease, down to what I'd use in 6.5 to 7.5 weather.
There is no such thing as the "perfect" size board. It's always about compromises, and what you think is perfect now, will change as your skill changes.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess we should start with what you have:
Mistral Escape
11'3" long = ~ 337-346 cm
width 65 cm
190 liters
29.8 pounds

so, you are used to a narrow board with some volume
people now are pushing the wider boards, but that is not for everyone
freerides used to be narrow compared to freemove
narrow is better in chop unless you are "flying" over it

at 70 kilos - you have a LOT of options
would be nice to see if you could try some "modern" 135 liter boards
and then even less

if you purchased a used 125 liter board, got used to it and sold it
you should not lose much cash
such volumes are in demand
same as 160 liters for that matter
sad part about our sport - difficult to try before you buy
THAT is what i loved about Hatteras
does World Sails rent out equipment -or let you try ??
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your conditions, I'd want to Go Big to maximize my planing potential and TOW. 150 - 200 liters, fast enough, easy to jibe and slog, and a smooth ride in your degree of chop. Going Small is for maneuverability in significant terrain or for WSing out of a Prius. Unless you want to race in organized events, maybe your question should be "What would be the highest volume short (no daggerboard) board that meets those criteria and I can carry on my car?"

Last edited by isobars on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

118 Tabou Rocket wide
122 RRD FIREMOVE

FROM your description , my prescription .

Other selections in this group , will also I'm sure work, these 2 I know.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
iamjnelson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also say go big. More fun sooner and less frustration. When you get into more and progress then get something around 95-105 range.

I love my Starboard Futura 141, also works for wind and wave SUP, and big enough for lightwind freestyle and easier than Isonic but still fast. It was my first non-daggerboard board. There are many like this these days.

I also have a Angulo Release 120 but usually just bring the Futura as my big board (then drop to a 105 then 89). Though it is fast and a bit better in chop but not enough to be worth not planing and I have a small car.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross 114 sails great from 7.5 to 5.5 sails. as the name states, bump and jump to waves or free style.

http://www.exocet-original.com/cross-silver.php

want more affordable, and free ride only? nano 125

http://www.exocet-original.com/nano.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jpeter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a 5.2 to 5.5 sail and a board in the 100 liter area. You could get a decent used sail for $200 and a used board for twice that. You are not going to advance much on a medium big board and big sail. You mentioned going in the spring and fall so low to mid 5 meter range isn't that small. At 155lbs you should plane at 17mph with a 5.2

good luck, JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: