myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sheeting sensitivity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
So if I'm reading your comments correctly, you may have had less than minimum downhaul on your first light wind day, resulting in rotation problems. Then kinda misinterpreted the manual, and used max downhaul and outhaul on your second light wind day? Is that about right?

If so, yes, that could lead to two uncomfortable, twitchy days.

+1 on rechecking batten tension. As the manual states, just enough to remove wrinkles, no more.

Second day was light but gusty otherwise I think you've got the gist. It wouldn't get moving in the lulls then would get a bunch of pressure in the gusts. It seems I had too much OH both of the first two days.

I'll try for minimum batten tension. I think I'm there but it's an easy retune.

Thanks!
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got into planing conditions and the rig got far more manageable in general. I think the sensitivity was simply a question of way too flat a sail in light but gusty conditions and slow boat speed.
Now I'm on the hunt for a bigger sail and possibly older formula board to make that happen in lighter conditions because boy do I want to be planing all the time.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I want to be planing all the time
and
it's 8-10 gusting 15.

That's not going to happen.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
and
it's 8-10 gusting 15.

That's not going to happen.

Want, not need.
Eventually there will be a longboard in the quiver. Plus it's plenty windy in the winter.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
grantmac017 wrote:
and
it's 8-10 gusting 15. .

Iso responded:
Quote:
That's not going to happen

Depending on your skill/experience, plus pumping skills, an experienced Formula sailor on a 11.0 sail and weighing 175 can pump on plane in about 10 mph of wind, give or take a mile an hour. Staying on plane is another issue since winds in this range can vary quite a bit. When I lake sail, on a typical 10-15 day, it means that the wind will blow from 3-20, with winds over 10 maybe 1/2 to 2/3 of the time.

A 15 mph gust can pull you on plane quickly, but when it drops below 10, you will come off plane unless you keep pumping.

We all want to plane all the time, but it just doesn't work that way unless you live in a special place that has lots of wind and it blows consistently.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigging bigger than the "efficiency experts" helps dramatically, especially on little boards that won't glide. It helps to pay at least SOME attention to what locals are rigging.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely summer months will always be longboard weather where I am which is fine, I'm on the hunt for one now (any opinions on a Mistral Ventura?)
However I also have a chance to get into an older Formula board (Mistral Demon) for under $200 and if that gets me planing 25% of the time I'll be happy as can be. I can depend on 12-18kts for a great deal of the fall to spring season and usually more wind is a short drive away.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demon for 2 hundred is by far the best deal you'll ever get for a light wind planing board.
I never caught your weight.
Formula boards with smaller fins (around 65cm) coupled with your biggest sail is the earliest planing setup. You can use sails as small as 5.8 without any problems, if you spend the time to tune the rig. This in gusts of 15 mph, for a 150 lbs rider. Gusts of 15 means an average of 11, and the range of 8-15 mph breezes.
A bigger sail can work better.
I'm often overpowered for reaching with Formula 167, 6.0 no cam, and winds of 14-20 mph. 150 lbs., expert sailor.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 in wetsuit. The Demon is $180 with a 70cm fin so I think I'll go for it and plan to use a 7.5-9.5 freeride sail.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fin alone is worth $60.
Plus, you can SUP any Formula board, very stable, great for riding small surf, and it doubles as a windsurfing light wind board. A SUP paddle in carbon might cost $70 bucks, West Marine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: