myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New concept boat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tflemer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: New concept boat Reply with quote

Hey folks,

We created a new concept boat that is a crossover of a windsurfer, a sea kayak and a SUP. It is more of a boat than a windsurfer, designed for multi-day camping and adventure racing.

Take a look at it here - http://kuleanaboats.com/

As a new company we are looking for ways to promote this cool product. Please feel free to give us some feedback. We are also looking for a few sailors to act as ambassadors for the company. We will provide them with a boat and gear for any expeditions they do in exchange for marketable content.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it's a concept that no one asked for.

Be much easier to canoe or a small sailboat.

This is a windsurf forum, so the first thing I noticed is how badly the Aerotech
Sail is rigged in the beach photos.

Second thing is who would use a small camp stove to make coffee, with the stove sitting on a expensive boat?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea! I've been thinking of building something like this for a long time.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the concept also.
Would be great to launch at a beach say... Tomales Chicken Ranch and paddle/sail up to the inaccessible beach's up North, camp for a day or two, change camping beach's, and then sail or paddle home.
The trip that intriques me is launching at Bodega, sail S to the totally boat in only beach's between Pt Reyes and Americano Estero.
And of course, the Delta leaving from Sherman Island to either direction.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone in florida build something like this out of wood for personal use.

Edit: I found the link looks like it was the prototype for the Kulean

http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/journal/cruising/the-expedition-windsurfer/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit upon kayak, SUP, boat, wind..surfer..

Length 15'8"
Liters , which windsurfer use as a floatation reference 436.4

WEIGHT.. NOT DISCLOSED

best of luck with the marketing.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
This is a windsurf forum, so the first thing I noticed is how badly the Aerotech Sail is rigged in the beach photos.

Yikes, that is terrible!!!!!!
If you want to attract w'surfers, you have to get those rigged properly in new photos, pronto!!!!!!
Details matter in promotion.
lucashurt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not your target audience most likely, but it seems mostly like the website is currently oriented to sell adventure instead of the board. That is probably intentional, but eventually the buyer will want some details about what they are getting for their money. If the products page had much more information about the board, that might be all that's necessary. For example, I had to watch one of the videos to learn that it has two centerboards rather than the typical arrangement of a centerboard and a fin. On the upside, I was curious to watch a few of the videos!

It's a neat idea and seem pretty well executed. I'd be interesting in some pictures of the windsurfing rig stowed on the deck. A local windsurfer has twice completed the first leg of a R2AK on a windsurfer. There is rule prohibiting sailing in Victoria harbor, so he derigs and converts to SUP mode for that and I presume if there was no wind. Figuring out a cool system for this would be handy especially if the kayak seat was still functional.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who used to dream of cruising and doing overnights on my windsurfer, and who did, in fact, build a number of hollow boards, including an ultra-light course racing board, for doing just that (complete with access ports), I would encourage the OP to continue what they are doing! I spent various nights on empty islands and shorelines (of the Great Salt Lake, no less, LOL), so I can definitely relate.

Please do take to heart all the other postings' valid criticisms of being sure you show well-rigged sails, etc., or you will not be taken seriously. Also, please do provide good specs so people can suss this out, OK? Good luck!

PS - The stove on the deck of the board photo is pretty cool - I liked it. Been there, done just that, but as astutely pointed out, it's not a great idea unless your only alternative is stove in mud or sand.
tflemer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Thanks for the feedback! You all make great points and we will definitely make the changes to the website. The shots of the sails were only supposed to be temporary until we could get a good photographer to do the final shots.

As for using the camp stove on the boat, I have been doing that without incident for years. The boat serves as a great platform if care is taken.

Again thanks all!

Trey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: