myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need your help for recreational light wind gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a big fat oak heavyweight like me - forget 10 knots (more like 12)

for a light featherweight like this one - hummingbird fart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Ekoto5iXY
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Starboard 147 and it was a sweet board. At 170 lbs, I could plane in 10 knots (white caps just beginning to form) with a 9.2 and lots of pumping, also a 70 cm fin. At 160 lbs and an 8.8 sail, maybe with good technique one could plane in 10 knots. Easy in 12 knots, maybe with little pumping. Even at 160 lbs, a 66 cm fin may handicap early planing just a tad.

Planing on a formula board means you are traveling at 20 mph+. On a Formula board, you are either slogging or planing, there is little in between. With an 11.0 in 10-12 knots, I am right at doubling the wind speed with my board speed.

The trouble is, when sailing in winds around 10 knots on a lake, there are gusts and holes, and planing is only happening part time.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO a Formula is hardly a recreational board , I am just as certain the people use them as such, me for one , I have 2.

To me their is a diminished return using larger sails on a given board , sailor and conditions. I found that very little difference existed between a 7.5 and 8.5, except the 8.5 was heavier both on the water and carrying to the beach, 490 vs 460. It's possible that a larger sail, 9.0 and larger could produce better return with planing.

Water starting one of these for me would be difficult , with the long boom.

Wind speed itself is a debate , how it's judged.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 said:
Quote:
IMO a Formula is hardly a recreational board , I am just as certain the people use them as such, me for one , I have 2.

I would agree, but it is an answer for those that want/insist that they plane in the lightest of winds.

Big rigs are expensive, heavy and hard to water start. One reason I have Easy-Up-Hauls on my 8.4, 9.2 and 11.0.

Fortunately, once proficient with Formula, dropping the rig is a rare occurrence.

One note of warning for potential formula sailors. If you go out in windy conditions (pushing your limit), you will find that you make big upwind progress, just to stay in control. THEN you have to get back downwind - which is the real challenge for formula sailors. It takes courage, practice and many opportunities to experience getting slammed over the nose with great gusto. The down side is that the nose of your board will have many dents from the mast crashing into it, or possibly damage that will need repair.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mixed up my threads, this OP, HAS. A Formula board, so to him it must be recreational .

900.. My bad.

These thoughts on planing in absolute min wind have gotten frequent and somewhat absurd.
10kts and under for me are WindSUP

Maybe if in Hatteras , sea level , compared to 6000' here in Colorado I may venture out to test things, I can usually tell by the effort it takes me to hang on my WindSUP if I can plane on my Tabou.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case anyone is interested, the discussion has continued on SB forum...
Jean-Marc is 65 kilos and recommends SB iS117W with an 11 m² sail !!
who says heavyweights got it made in this sport ??

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19100&page=4
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The don't make the 117 W any more. iSonics are high performance boards that are best suited to experts and racers. They are not recreational boards. I have the iS 111. It's fast, rough riding, and with the outboard straps, a challenge to get into the back ones. Lot's of power off the fin and you need the wide straps for leverage. Jibes fine, but not as well as freeride boards. I use 6.6, 7.6 and 8.4 sails on the 111. The sweet spot is the 7.6.

The volume is only 108l and with the short nose, slogging on the 8.4 is a pain the butt, if in variable, light wind conditions. They are light, but fragile too. I have the wood model.

iSonics are not the answer.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will expand on my post a bit, since the issue is formula or other alternatives for light wind planing.

Typically, I am on my formula in 10-15+ winds with a 9.2. If the wind creeps up a bit, I go to my iSonic 111 and the 7.6 and when it is around 20, then to my 105 board with my 6.4 or 6.0. Then in higher winds to still smaller stuff.

While the iSonic is fast and quick to plane, it's not a ton of fun, partially because I am on full cambered race sails from 6.6 up. A better choice for me would have been a freeride board around 120-125 liters to fill the gap between the formula and 105L bump and jump. The goal is to plane and not slog or glide on a long board. Been there, done that and it's not my thing anymore.
maxime.mailloux1475

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Techno900,

Did you try anything bigger than 9.2 on the 147 ?

I am reconsidering my sail choice. I had assumed my formula would work with the same sail size as an ultrasonic,or JP SLW, but I have been recommended to go bigge.

I am currently tented by Severne Formula experience 11.0 or 11.0LW and corresponding mast. The sail price is reasonable, even new. Less than 50% the cost of a 10m+ race sail such as the severne reflex.

I think this sail could cover better the lower wind range (9-10 knots) , and complement my 7.3 / 120L combo. I.e 8-14 with 11.0+ formula / 14 and up 7.3/120L

Given the fact the formula is not reputed to handle chop well, I think it would be great to cover 10 knots comfortably (may be even 8-9 with some technique an 70 cm fin) , to allow some sessions in very flat water.

What do you think ?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this thread is misleading. A couple posters know each other and have background info.

Recreational perhaps means the sailor , the gear being mentioned certainly isn't, except the Hawk.

Joe, the Starboard forum link/ thread is hard core formula / go fast stuff.
I did read it all. These claims of 8mph planing, I find dubious . Since I have never been on a 11m sail, because I have no desire to, I reserve the right to change my mind.

The reflection that larger gear will help you be more in tune with smaller gear is interesting. The part about then smaller gear feeling lighter and more maneuverable... DUH ..

FWIW, MY Starboard formula is easy to ride, it's a early 2000 model, I would like to just try a newer one. It's a 175l, but Starboard admitted the liters were wrong, said to be like 155l.
FWIW, I have a newer Formula, that back to back was faster, it's a F117, prokids model, heavy, just as easy to ride.
This reminds me of the Ultrasonic 105 I had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: