myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
my Ezzy lions have a common fault/problem - anybody else?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never owned an Ezzy, but have dealt with my share of sails over the years from wave to formula race and in between.

First off, leaving your sails rigged and downhauled should not impact the seam strength. A well designed sail should be capable of handling downhaul load with no issues. The mast, on the other hand, is likely to take a semi-permanent bend if left with full downhaul for an extended period. That is the reason for loosening downhaul and outhaul if you plan to keep the sails rigged for more than a day.

Are you running these sails with cams installed? The damaged seam looks to be right next to a cam and my guess is that the cam may be over-stressing the seam. How difficult is it for you to rotate the cams? Do they pop across with a gentle pump of the boom, or do you have to reach forward and physically push the sail across? When you rig the sail, do you slide the mast directly into the cams, or do you slide the mast over the cams, outhaul, and then pop the cams on?

sm
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Original post is 2 and 1/2 years ago,

I don’t see the year of the Lions? The Infinity’s would now be considered past their sell by date, past prime.
I wonder if some material that was used in your sails and others that encountered similar problems was sub standard.
I don’t feel that Ezzy should be responsible for older( define older ?sails ) to the degrees they are warranted.

LLBEAN, used to have a no holds barred return warranty, no questions, in the past few years that changed to 1 year from purchase. prior that purchase date the original warranty, replacement still applies.

My original infinities were problem free ..... as posted In the thread.

My original lions developed holes (the 8.5) had already had a hole repaired before I Purchaced it ... suggesting it wasn’t just my handling of the sail

So to have the holes develop in 2 generations of the sail have me clueless for answers .... given that extra care was taken on the replacement lions. General suggestion fallback position is ‘its me and how I do things’.

I’ve followed Davis Ezzy’s suggestions on how to manage the sails. Yes they have been carried on my shoulders not left fully rigged,,, cams popped,,,,tension let off etc.

We are talking about an old man managing 9.5 size sails here. Mindful to put the load on a battern. I see plenty of large sails carried on heads/shoulders without developing holes in the same place across multiple generations.

Anybody got a suggestion on a sail similar to ezzy lions that can tolerate the abuse of being carried to the water on shoulders/heads.??

My intention was never to seek warranty or replacement .. just to seek answers

Ezzy and local dealer were very responsive and supported upgrade to gen 2 lions. Awesome as this was unsolicited

Hence you may try to understand my disappointment at having the holes develop in same location on my new Salls (2 seasons of use). My 9.5 developed the hole first and it has had limited use compared to my favourite 8.5 lion. I mean how much use can be in 2 seasons when I’m workin 7 days a fortnight and raising a family .... I’m not special. Just a keen beginner/intermediate that rally likes using ezzy lion sails.

I’m thinking of buying my old infinities back of my mate as they haven’t deteriated in the same fashion

Cheers Jeff
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
I’ve never owned an Ezzy, but have dealt with my share of sails over the years from wave to formula race and in between.

First off, leaving your sails rigged and downhauled should not impact the seam strength. A well designed sail should be capable of handling downhaul load with no issues. The mast, on the other hand, is likely to take a semi-permanent bend if left with full downhaul for an extended period. That is the reason for loosening downhaul and outhaul if you plan to keep the sails rigged for more than a day.

Are you running these sails with cams installed? The damaged seam looks to be right next to a cam and my guess is that the cam may be over-stressing the seam. How difficult is it for you to rotate the cams? Do they pop across with a gentle pump of the boom, or do you have to reach forward and physically push the sail across? When you rig the sail, do you slide the mast directly into the cams, or do you slide the mast over the cams, outhaul, and then pop the cams on?

sm

Thank you for your considered reply = it helps

No problems with the cam rotation, it’s what I love about the ezzy

Interestingly on my second gen lions 9.5 and 8.5 I have had problems with the bottom cam knuckling over where it joins the battern when running sail set to low wind specs. A problem I never had with gen 1 lions. May be related??

I cured this by not going lower than the medium wind setting or leaving the bottom cam out on low wind days

Cheers Jeff
systemslib

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is unfortunate, I sail cheetah but not lion. The cheetah has held up well with no holes in same area but of course many wrinkles behind boom cutout which seems to get a fair bit of stress. I carry the 8.0 from waist resting on hip to move toward water, never on my head or shoulder.

Logically it would seem the hole is related to the either the cam flexing/rubbing that spot but also could be batten, can you feel the edge of the cam there? I actually noticed a new 9.5 gen 3 lion offered at 500 at big gorge dealer, also have a 8.5 cheetah there for same price. Good deals for 490/big sail users but admit I would take the cheetah over the lion if the cams are damaging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: