myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula VS Large Slalom Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thorofareken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Formula VS Large Slalom Board Reply with quote

I currently have the Starboard HWR Formula board (162 liters 228 cm length 100 cm wide). What kind of differences would I see in a very large slalom board such as the Exocet RS8 (210 liters 260 cm length 90 cm wide)?

Just interested in the light wind range of 10 to 18 knots.

1. Planing earlier/later/about the same?
2. Below planing (slogging) faster/about the same?
3. Should I expect to bury the nose less with the longer length after the mast track and greater volume?
4. Handling differences?

I'm 190 pounds and have a 10 meter Aerotech RapidFire and 11 meter Aerotech VMG to use with them.

Thanks for any insight/guesses.
alap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Staboard IQ 158 liters, 215 length, 100 width.

Then I bought Fanatic Ray 145 liters, 82 cm wide, similar length, light edition.

If I have to keep only one board , hands down it will be Ray. It sails like a regular windsurfing board in every aspect. Formula is very different handling.

In terms of planing Formula gets on the plane probably 1 knot earlier but on the top end it gets overpowered 4-5 knots earlier than Ray, so overall wind range is probably 3-4 knots less.

Hence I use Formula very rarely - on the very very light days

I currently sail both with 8.5 Retro - I sold 10.0; it was too big of a haul to handle; carrying towards the water, taking so much space. I am about you weight.
thorofareken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alap, I have a similar experience with my Futura 155, although it is just as many liters, the width is slightly less wide, has a lot more V and is more fun when there is wind. Seems faster too, but I haven't had my formula in a lot of wind yet. The Futura planes early too being 85 cm wide....still a big board but doesn't carry the width to the tail like the formula does.

I live 5 minutes from Marsh Creek lake in PA there are a lot of light wind days like 8-12 mph. Just wondering if the additional size of the RS8 is going to be a step better in light winds than even the HWR despite the 10 cm less width given that it is longer and more volume. One thing that I notice with the HWR at my weight with an 11 meter sail's rig weight added in, I'm barely keeping the nose out of the water if I'm not planing. As the wind picks up or a gust comes along, I move back and no problem, but there is that awkward period while slogging.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have sailed the RS 8 with a 9.0 with not much success in pumping to plane. it needs an 11. i weigh 212lbs it planed fairly early, but needed more sail in order to stand out. in 10 to 18 with an 11.0 you should be very happy. pumping ought not be required....

dunno a thing about the other boards you've mentioned.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you trying to do thorofareken ?
you have a Formula with 2 large sails - close in size and a Futura 155 ??

you are considering going from Formula to wide slalom/freeride ??
sounds like changing a dollar for four quarters Sad

for me (and some others) the light wind weapon is a longboard
modern or older raceboards are great in light winds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPP5pa4TAc

as you have said, schlogging on a BIG board with a BIG sail is unpleasant

i am surprised you 'sink' the board at your weight

besides my longboard, i also have a wide freeride - the JP SLW92 and have been convinced to NOT sell it

in this video you see that with a TR-4 10.0 m² sail in lighter winds , there is little sinking ...
and i weigh MUCH more than you - more like 230-240 pounds
no comments on poor technique - straps or other Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrQ9ZnsapuM

here is a slalom vs formula video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wys48EDxjGM
thorofareken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe,

RE: What am I "Trying to do"?

I guess I'm looking for early planing and better behavior during slogging....no sinking especially the nose.

"sounds like changing a dollar for four quarters ". I don't necessarily disagree, but what about the 50 more liters of volume? What affect will that have on the experience?

I had my Futura out today in 10-12 at the shore and I was powered enough to plane more times than not with my 10 meter Rapid Fire. My GPS speeds were around 15-20 mostly. I looked at the dimensions of that board....250 x 85 at 155 liters and realized that the RS8 is not a huge difference in length or width, but has considerably more volume. Didn't need it today, but on a day with winds 8-10 or 8-12, I would be slogging a lot more with my current boards.

I have thought about the long board route, but I don't want to give up any planing even if that means slogging instead of gliding . I just want better behavior during the slogging....nose of the board not sinking or just barely out of the water scenario with my HWR. Would more volume solve that? How do they get that extra volume in a board with mostly similar dimensions anyway?

Thanks for the input.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glide?

this thing glides between hummingbird farts

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs380-elite.php

jibe? more than likely better than anything else you've got.

thorofareken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only it wasn't $3500.

Crying or Very sad

The first day that I started thinking about longboards, there was a Fanatic MegaCat on Craigslist for $300 and in my area. When I contacted him, he had sold it that day. That would have been perfect! Not as nice as that Exocet 380, but would have worked fine.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Formula VS Large Slalom Board Reply with quote

Slalom boards slog better than formula boards.

-Craig

thorofareken wrote:
I currently have the Starboard HWR Formula board (162 liters 228 cm length 100 cm wide). What kind of differences would I see in a very large slalom board such as the Exocet RS8 (210 liters 260 cm length 90 cm wide)?

Just interested in the light wind range of 10 to 18 knots.

1. Planing earlier/later/about the same?
2. Below planing (slogging) faster/about the same?
3. Should I expect to bury the nose less with the longer length after the mast track and greater volume?
4. Handling differences?

I'm 190 pounds and have a 10 meter Aerotech RapidFire and 11 meter Aerotech VMG to use with them.

Thanks for any insight/guesses.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longer is better when not planing. don't believe me, do some testing, personally. some FW boards, older, were quite a bit longer than they are now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: