myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS Watches for Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: GPS Watches for Windsurfing Reply with quote

I'm considering a GPS watch for windsurfing. Any good recommendations?

Minimum requirements:
1. Waterproof (obviously)
2. Tides
3. GPS
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR. It's waterproof and you can download an app to it that tells you your top speed and best 10s speeds. You can also see your track on a map. I've checked it against my GT31 and it is pretty accurate. I haven't looked for a tides app though, but there might be one as there are all kinds of apps on the Garmin website.
katiedog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Garmin 310xt, w/HRstrap for cycling,running,a watch for WSg and kiting ,on my ama on my OC-1 . All activities transferable to Strava
leosantanalg@gmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Quatix 3 from Garmin! if you look to the thread of Kona 40mph, Thats me!! If you use a GPSwatch for speed, dont dare post your results hear. I m getting hell from every guy that steps hid foot on a board. LOL all worth though
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'll look in to those further. Any others?

Tides are important. Being able to upload accurate GPS logs to a map overlay would be good for session logging and analysis.

oh yeah... if it tells the time that would be a nice feature also.

It seems like there are a plethora of makes and models out now. Garmin, Suunto, G-Shock, etc etc.

I like the idea of a "Smartwatch" with a touchscreen face like the Samsung Gear or even iWatch but the tech for "Smartwatches" is not at the reliable level for the punishing environments of watersports... YET. Samsung gear is "Water-resistant". The iWatch is not standalone... YET.

It's kind of hard to know where to begin. I don't want to spend a schwack load if possible. It will likely be in salt water a lot and possibly bumped against abrasive surfaces like the tops of boards and sand.

The Vivoactive looks promising IF it has an accurate and reliable tide app.

I WISH someone would also come out with a little wrist warn VHF for quick communication with other windsurfers and shore. It would be awesome for coaching as well as safety. (Topic for another thread though).
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there are tide apps available for the more expensive Garmin watches like the Fenix 3.

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/8ef5a2ac-f87a-4001-bf47-439543ca4eea

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/ded87d46-5477-4ca7-a247-847b896393e0
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS watches can be fun to record your session, but they are prone to overstating your speed sometimes, so check the tracks carefully using software like GPSResults before getting too excited.

Check the top of this page for general information:
https://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=item&item=gpsother

For analyzing speed, the most important issue is that your device can record a data point at least once every second (1 Hz or higher). If you can find a device that uses doppler speeds, even better. You may have to ask the manufacturer about this.

If you're serious about speedsurfing, you'll probably need a specialized GPS. Check http://gpsteamchallenge.com.au/pages/rules and
https://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default.aspx?mnu=item&item=GPSInfo
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR. It's waterproof and you can download an app to it that tells you your top speed and best 10s speeds. You can also see your track on a map. I've checked it against my GT31 and it is pretty accurate. I haven't looked for a tides app though, but there might be one as there are all kinds of apps on the Garmin website.

What setting do you use on your Vivoactive HR? I just bought one at a great price (Black Friday sale. ooh yeah!). Going later today to buy a second for my wife.

I'm trying to figure this thing out. It certainly has a pile of functions. What is the best GPS mode (or app) to track your windsurfing speeds, path, distance etc? How do you then upload and overlay your data on a map?

I installed and configured a Tides App from Garmin Connect. So far it seems to do the trick!
B737

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
capetonian wrote:

What setting do you use on your Vivoactive HR?

What is the best GPS mode (or app) to track your windsurfing speeds, path, distance etc? How do you then upload and overlay your data on a map?

I installed and configured a Tides App from Garmin Connect. So far it seems to do the trick!

any updates on this watch for sailing? im tempted to give it a try....

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: