myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line placement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't slog around in my lines. Mine are short and set for in the straps over the fin riding. If you have one connection or two, one inch apart or shoulder width apart. As long as they work for you than it right. My only point is that the lines should do 90% of the work so you can have reduced load on your hands when blasting in the straps.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I seem to be a very naughty boy.

On first starting to windsurf (Hi-Fli 555) I quickly discovered that it was necessary to hold the boom with both hands, a shoulders width apart. Nobody seems to do otherwise in all normal sailing.

Naturally I concluded, on buying my first harness a year later, that the line attachment points should be inside my hand hold position, and about a foot apart. To this day, I.ve not changed that assumption. (i.e. it works.)

Since I currently sail as well (or as badly) as any competent windsurfing friends am I to assume that if I move the attachment points close together on the boom, as seems to be obligatory nowadays, I'll suddenly start to outsail them all?

I'll start to out sail them.. Obligatory..? Read coachg post. Well put.
But to really out perform the others
A. Wear boardies outside your wetsuit.
B. Get you hair died , green blue..anything including multi, anything except what it is natural.

C. The color of lines is critical, the Severne duo lines are multi colored , cost more, could match your hair.
D. Totally radical is have red on one side and white or blue the other..say you are really into bling

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens sir, the insults!! Orange hair, earrings, and board shorts my aunt Fanny! Such an affront would require a dual should ever you set foot on our beach. Custard pies in the face at dawn, at the very least.

But you have something about equipment colour. As a mischievous friend and I once sat by the cars swilling cups of tea on a hectic day's break while listening to a boaster prattling on about the finer technical points of his latest and greatest board, my friend said, with a perfectly straight face, "Yes, it's a blue one." (Sniggers and coughing fits all around.)

Patrice knows a thing or two. All my Exocets are so!
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a wave camp this spring in PSC with pro sailors. Their advice was to stay away from the single attachment harness lines, but keeping them hand width apart, and as long as possible. Their advice on finding harness line location was that in a vacuum void of wind you would be able to grab the boom with one finger and it would balance itself on the spot where your lines should go if the sail is rigged correctly. Of course, we don't sail in vacuums, but I've used as a quick check in the wind shadow of our launches, and it works like a charm.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP wrote:
grab the boom with one finger and it would balance itself on the spot where your lines should go if the sail is rigged correctly.

NP's method is a good way to get you in the ballpark.

Question or maybe observation. With double point lines where is the best place to put the two connection points in relation to the hypothetical balance point? You could place the front connection point directly ON the balance point and the rear point behind or, rear connection point directly on the balance point and the front point ahead or, equally on each side with the balance point somewhere in the middle.

One would think equally on each side makes the most sense, however as I think more carefully, considering your back hand does the sheeting in/out maybe it's actually better to place the front connection point directly ON (Or at least close to) the balance point and then the rear connection point behind. What are others thoughts on this?

Of course this is all to get you in the general area. Once you do a couple runs you will need to tweak and WHEN the wind speed changes your balance point changes also.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few more unnecessary generalizations. But, again, the harness lines are meant to do the work of your arms and hands. So, in the end, they need to be placed so that they are symmetrical with your hand positions

This always gives you the right solution. It's the only one that naturally takes care of one arm being stronger than the other. So, yeah, your harness lines could be in different positions on port and starboard if so.
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting my new harness and lines next week. Will let you know how it goes.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Single point lines are fine, but I don't think that's the way to go for you at this time in your progression.

Absolutely agree. Even after >30 years of high-wind sailing in gusty winds, I found mono/single-point lines more sensitive than I wanted.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbmotylenski wrote:
I'll be getting my new harness and lines next week. Will let you know how it goes.

Sure hope that with the naughty boy fraternity , and the unnecessary generalizations crew, Mean Girls institution you can come to grips.

I have a loose trip to Loveland planned, if you need help, by all means let me know

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
B-Man_6.5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. Glad I'm getting standard DaKine adjustable lines. They're what I had when I first starting sailing back in the 90s. (Can't believe that was twenty years ago). Lots of experience on this forum. Great resource.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: