myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast Extensions. Carbon VS Aluminum.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have added - most new sails nowadays seem to have built in pulleys, so I drill the bar out and slot in a new bar, cut to length ( threads cut at each end for nuts) and a couple of spacers to centralise the pull off the hook.

It's sometimes necessary to shave a little alloy off the top of those 'chunky' alloy 3 or 4 pulley hooks for clearance, but there has never been a failure yet. It's the base of those alloy hooks that hold the pulleys in, which corrode away first. Have to replace them regularly.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your "continuing quest" to upgrade your gear, I'd be more inclined to get a RDM and extension. The choice between an alum. and carbon extension, is pretty minor as compared to replacing the mast, and you can go either way with the extension (still minor), then you will notice a huge difference in your entire rig.
RD masts matter.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
In your "continuing quest" to upgrade your gear, I'd be more inclined to get a RDM and extension. The choice between an alum. and carbon extension, is pretty minor as compared to replacing the mast, and you can go either way with the extension (still minor), then you will notice a huge difference in your entire rig.
RD masts matter.

Agree fully. I used to use aluminum booms, then hybrids (which suffered from the corrosion problems other described), finally carbon - would never to back.
Used SDM masts in the past, switch to RDMs, never use SDMs anymore unless I have no choice (some race sails).
But extensions? We have mostly aluminum, a few carbons, and never noticed a difference. I use the first one I grab.

While switching from SDMs to RDMs, though, we also started paying more attention to bend curve characteristics. That also makes a big difference. We now have 2 or 3 masts of the same size with different bent curves for different sails. Some of those we got used for less than the cost of a new carbon extension.
sound_solution

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday:
Long Chinook Alloy RDM Europin with 34 extension vs. 6.8 Aerotech Phantom and Epic 430 60% carbon mast on Kona One in 4 foot breaking surf. The adjustment ring has been moved for the picture, it was not up that high. The mast extension lost. So, they do bend...[/img]

Bent Chinook Extension.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.33 KB
 Viewed:  8787 Time(s)

Bent Chinook Extension.JPG

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound_solution wrote:
So, they do bend...[/img]

Just think of the stress that put on the mast wall! It's a wonder it didn't snap, and that much excess tubing up the mast voids any warranties on both mast and extension ... for a reason: it exceeds design stress limits.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound_solution wrote:
Yesterday:
Long Chinook Alloy RDM Europin with 34 extension vs. 6.8 Aerotech Phantom and Epic 430 60% carbon mast on Kona One in 4 foot breaking surf. The adjustment ring has been moved for the picture, it was not up that high. The mast extension lost. So, they do bend...[/img]

Yikes! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: