myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Partner wanted for downwinder project 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
5) Roosevelt to Indian boat ramp near 3-mile ... Wind should not be an issue.

Be careful with that one. As I drive from TriCities to Roosevelt, I OFTEN see glass at 3-Mile when it's blowing consistent mid-20s at Roosevelt; the wind often stops not far east of Arlington. It's much like SwellHatch vs the Event Site. Pay close attention to the forecasts and the Loroc Island data.
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excerpt from original post: All curmudgeons please refrain.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2OJoe wrote:
Excerpt from original post: All curmudgeons please refrain.

Do realists qualify as curmudgeons?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For each downwinder, data will be consulted. Roosevelt-Indian Boat ramp, for example, I would check the wind at Boardman. My partner may also have valuable ideas that I have never considered. I don't anticipate failure; that would be a horrible way to live. If we fail for non-fatal reasons, we will try again, learning from that failure. Without such attitudes, we (as a nation) would never have achieved the annexation of the Moon.

But this is nothing like the Moon. Or even island-hopping. There's a shore within a swim. With flotation support! I'll even be wearing a kayak vest, enough to keep my chin above water. Pretty sure I won't be killed in any attempt, especially with a partner nearby.

(I have a sweat-stained old baseball hat Isobars can eat after we complete this. A little salt and maybe some powdered ginger might make it tastier.)
Smile

*Today looks like a good day for a downwinder! Viento or Rock Creek even.

webcam.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.87 KB
 Viewed:  16117 Time(s)

webcam.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
If we fail for non-fatal reasons, we will try again, learning from that failure. Without such attitudes, we (as a nation) would never have achieved the annexation of the Moon.

But this is nothing like the Moon. There's a shore within a swim. With flotation support! I'll even be wearing a kayak vest, enough to keep my chin above water. Pretty sure I won't be killed in any attempt, especially with a partner nearby.

As an engineer with Boeing in the 1960s, I helped put us on the moon. But that was easy ... no slogging required, and nothing like this:

topped by this:

and ultimately ending in this:

and this:

I'm not knocking downwinders. I'm just suggesting that attitude and optimism are no substitutes for preparation, no flotation vest is gonna get us up some of the cliffs or penetrate the false indigo vegetation choking countless miles of shoreline east of the John Day Dam. I've explored every foot of shoreline out there (before crossing the RR tracks became an enforced federal offense) looking for access, and much of it is impenetrable without pitons or a machete.

Slinger can slog calf-deep for hours -- dry -- but we've still had to rescue his butt a few times. All I'm saying is be prepared: this ain't the Corridor.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard mention of my favorite downwinder = Home Valley to Stevenson (East wind). Very much fun!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CU, Home Valley is indeed a sweet short downwinder. Smooth fast sailing and it is really fun to jump from the back sides of the small swell!

I just want everybody to know I will be carrying some water and wearing footwear (as always) as precautions. We will, of course, consult all the relevant sources of data. Fully-prepared, the worst case could look something like this...

cuties!.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.98 KB
 Viewed:  15927 Time(s)

cuties!.jpg

merriam2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife bought this waterproof backpack several years ago for our downwinders. I think she got it at the Kayak Shed in HR. Light weight and perfect size for carrying some clothing, footwear and water (sometimes beer) and a phone in it's own waterproof case for insurance. It has come in handy a few times.
Good luck on your adventures. For your sake, I hope your worst case scenario comes true!
Tom

BACKPACK.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  650.63 KB
 Viewed:  15824 Time(s)

BACKPACK.jpg

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a 1.5L water pack and Super Freak slippers (on sale in the Gorge now!) for every trip; just broke too many toes going bare. And the rubber sole grips better on sugar deck than my bare feet do at high speeds.

Awesome and interesting swell and wind at Swell City yesterday! Spectacular mega-swell rides on 3.7m and poly board. Dale Cook blasting up and downwind (4.2m?)...haven't seen much of him this year. Very few on the water. Chilly hands. The water is 65, but I think it's time for the full wet suit.
dosfatboys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for Native fish nets, they seem to be more of them this year and not too visible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: