myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Boom Grip minor ding repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used contact cement, left rough edges ,
Tried silicone , like window sealer, doesn't adhering well

Has me thinking , going to try a Gorilla glue version.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benspikey wrote:
Guess am looking for a repair filler instead of cement. i.e. a little dab of foam that you bond with the existing foam and fill these tiny cuts / wounds.

Sounds like you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one. Little dings in the boom grip are inevitable. I would not be trying to fill every nick or scrape with some other material. If large areas of the grip are missing or if the damage effects where you hold the boom to the point that it is uncomfortable, I would cut out that area of grip and replace it using a new piece and contact cementing it down. Otherwise, leave it be. Just my opinion.

sm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
benspikey wrote:
Guess am looking for a repair filler instead of cement. i.e. a little dab of foam that you bond with the existing foam and fill these tiny cuts / wounds.

Sounds like you may be making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one. Little dings in the boom grip are inevitable. I would not be trying to fill every nick or scrape with some other material. If large areas of the grip are missing or if the damage effects where you hold the boom to the point that it is uncomfortable, I would cut out that area of grip and replace it using a new piece and contact cementing it down. Otherwise, leave it be. Just my opinion.

sm

Yup.
I feel that doing a repair on small nicks could prevent from Turing into large ones.
Each his own

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
That sounds great. Does it affect how the harness lines rotate on the boom?

I have not noticed any significant difference in how the harness lines rotate with heat shrink applied. I like to keep the Velcro fairly tight regardless though because I prefer lines that don't flop around. Personally I like it better. If you are using a two point harness line I think it's a little easier to move the lines on the fly. The heat shrink makes it a little easier to wiggle the harness line position when the wind changes.

boardsurfr wrote:
Also, how does it feel if you grab on the section with the heat shrink?

Again, I don't notice a significant deference. Admittedly, I usually sail with Dakine sailing gloves when possible. However, I wonder if the regular foam grip is too grippy contributing to unneeded blisters. It certainly should feel better than a factory grip that is gouged, warn, with rough spots all over it.

Heat shrink is inexpensive. I purchased two meters on eBay for under $8 including free shipping. This was enough to do four booms. If you don't like it, cut it off and try something else.

It can be purchased in different colors or clear.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Boom Grip minor ding repair Reply with quote

benspikey wrote:

Any suggestions for a better material?

Thanks!

For light colored grip material I use neorez (wet suit repair cement) and for black grip material - car door gasket repair cement (comes in orange tubes).
The trick is to fill up the ding with sufficient but not excessive amount and accurately cover with thick polyethylene around the grip. Affix the poly with some sticky tape. After the cement sets, remove the poly. Most of the time the repair is not even noticeable.

Andrei.
benspikey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird - Thank you, that is getting closer..

is this the stuff you are talking about?

https://www.zoro.com/3m-super-weatherstrip-adhesive-8008/i/G0605701/?gclid=CjwKEAjwu8m-BRDM8KTcjdj8qy0SJACdjSZpmoGpq_BWJVDub7-iQ-v6-meJSF1iYyk_iGSy8oMmeRoCUoTw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
sl55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
I purchased some wide heat shrink from eBay. I cut it to 12-18 inch lengths (depending on the boom size) and placed it over both grips centered at the average harness line balance point..

Would you care to specify what diameter/type you ordered. Maybe a link?
Do you think it may replace the whole worn out grip on a small boom?
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sl55 wrote:
Would you care to specify what diameter/type you ordered. Maybe a link?

This is a link to the eBay item I purchased. Boom grips are usually in the 28mm-32mm range. I purchased 40mm in Black but you could choose any color you like, or clear.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2M-Heat-Shrink-Tube-2-1-Polyolefin-ROHS-UL-0-6-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-20-30-40mm-/331554919189?var=&hash=item4d32369315:m:mTT6IEIE1Lk59c4cXUO3DcQ

sl55 wrote:
Do you think it may replace the whole worn out grip on a small boom?

I have not done a complete grip replacement using heat shrink so I can't comment on the result. It would technically be possible though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: