myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My Rant About Sailors in Low Wind Areas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My Rant About Sailors in Low Wind Areas Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:

I never said it to their face, but I'd like to tell them to stop being so freaking proud of themselves.

Nah, don't say that. Try something like this instead -- "Yeah, sailing those little boards and sails can be fun, but if you stick with it, learning advanced/expert skills to windsurf big sails in light, tricky wind can be so tremendously rewarding. Takes a lot of practice, but well worth it. Happy to help you out some time. Hope you stick with it. Don't be discouraged." Very Happy
westender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it that they are proud of?? I don't get the joke??
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on Cape Cod, where it's possible to stick to a 90 l board and a 5.0 m sail - if you weigh in at less than 150 lb, and can sail very time the wind picks up.

But of the 4 local windsurfers that you see on the beach almost every day that it's windy, every single one uses sails at least in the 6.x meter range. 3 of the 4 also use longboards on a nice light wind day (the 4th is very light, and can easily plane in 14 mph wind with a 5.8 m sail).

Most other regulars have sails at least in the 7.x range, with larger shortboards to match. There are a few guys who only show up when it's blowing 25+, but they are the exception.

Using only very small gear wastes lots of great sessions. Only 12 of my 112 sessions this year have been planing sessions on 5.0 and smaller. I'm 195 lb and reasonably efficient, but note that this year included a couple of months in Corpus Christi and three weeks in Hatteras. I have had twice as many sessions on longboards or doing light wind freestyle on a SUP, and wish I'd had more - it's just been too windy Very Happy.

One thing that motivates people to get a longboard or work on light wind freestyle are competitions. The ECWF Long Island that Mike Burns organized for many years sure got me and my wife motivated! It's nice to now occasionally see others come out to practice on longboards for the ECWF Cape Cod. Just a few so far, but it's always great to see their faces when they discover how much fun can be had windsurfing in conditions where most windsurfers complain about "no wind".
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a huge rig and board (not a long board) that is great for use in Utah,
but I'm fortunate enough to spend most of my planing in the Gorge. Up
here I have a 6.7 that I will rig in October, if I must, but it's a rare deal.

Most of the time I'm on a 4.2 or a 4.7. I get about 60 or 70 days a year
planning a short board.

I've ridden long boards, I'd rather plane, and if I can't plane a short board,
I have a dandy mountain bike, or grandkids to play with. I don't get adrenaline jollies from a long board. That might make me a junkie, but not a snob.

If you enjoy your longboards, then more power to you, but you know deep
down you'd really rather be planning, wouldn't ya ;*)

-Craig
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, planing can be considered MORE fun ...
obviously depends on wind and your availability
buddy tells me longboards glide, but don't plane Smile

this mentality of FAST is not just in windsurfing, but is a sign of the times - to me
everyone is drinking more coffee, redbull and looking for energy boosters
adrenaline junkies are looking for more n more cheap thrills
parachutes, crazy rollercoaster rides and slides on tall buildings...
just enjoying the view does not seem to work any more

is life to become just one big blur ??
maybe it is time to stop and smell the roses ?
must be time for my daily meditation or medication - whichever comes first Smile
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
What is it that they are proud of?? I don't get the joke??

It's not meant to be funny. They bragged about only having small gear.

We've had folks talk like this locally. They go to the gorge for a week, and come back saying 'just say no to the 5.0', and then end up not sailing very much anymore. We have enough of a variety of sailors here, so nobody pays much attention to them. It's good for a little chuckle.

My problem was that these were the 'go to guys' in this area. People seem to listen to them. I'm not interested in trying to 'convert' people. I was just put off by their attitude and the image of the sport they project, which is, 'don't bother with thinking about windsurfing here'.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Good wind is good wind. I would rather be on a 6.5 and a bigger board flying across the bay at SPI in super steady winds In April with 85 degree air and 75 degree water without a wet suit than a gusty cold choppy 4.0 day at the Gorge. Been there done that in windsurfing. Most places when its 4.0 its gusty 4.0 Lite wind sailing can be just as much fun and takes its own set of skills.

And therein is a perfect example of the most fundamental of all WSing rules: it's all about personal preferences.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: My Rant About Sailors in Low Wind Areas Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:
In my area there were several guys turning into wind snobs. 86L 4.2 sail or forget it. .

In the general sense, am a swell snob. It doesn't have to be big swell ... just something to carve on instead of incessant pounding chop. Whether it's calf-high or overhead isn't the deal-breaker; it's whether I can actually USE it vs just having to TOLERATE it. I'll even do the latter if there's an occasional treat, but when it's all chop, I get bored quickly whether it's blowing 20 or 40. Of course, the word "snob" has negative connotations, especially one of false superiority. It's about preferences, and has nothing to do with superiority or snobbery.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when in Rome, do as the Romans.

I wouldn't call someone who lives in Maui, and doesn't sail bigger than 5.0 a wind snob. I'm saying that windsurfers shouldn't be doing anything to discourage people from buying gear that works in typical conditions for the area.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen Joe!

-Craig

p.s. I spend some time on Maui, and there is a lot of good
"lighter" wind in the 5.5 to 6.0 range, with a 100 ltr wave board,
and a lot of people out on it, though not like in the early 90s.

p.p.s, I hate RedBull it gives me agida ;*)

konajoe wrote:
Well, when in Rome, do as the Romans.

I wouldn't call someone who lives in Maui, and doesn't sail bigger than 5.0 a wind snob. I'm saying that windsurfers shouldn't be doing anything to discourage people from buying gear that works in typical conditions for the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: