myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need gear advice: board volume and sail size
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's needed most to help figure out what you may want:

height and weight

where you sail

what kind of venue? waves, free style, race or free ride.

in florida, i use a 7.5 sail the most and 9.0 next.

i try to do iit all down here except free style. and, i long board wave sail when kites are falling down.

depends on you.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
venturi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the input, thanks for helping an old dog with the new tricks! To answer some of the questions people have posed:

Size: I'm 5'9, 175lbs, 44 years old, and athletic.

Focus: Right now I am looking for high wind kit only... I've been riding a 1999 JP 260, 4.2 North Voodoo and 4.8 North Volcano. I am just looking to replace these with modern equivalents. 18kts will be the bottom of the wind range I'm interested in.

Venues: I'll be riding primarily in bump / swell conditions on Long Island Sound and Peconic Bay. I will not be chasing wave sailing locally.

Style/Skill: I'm an advanced rider, with both a racing and wavesailing background... traveled all over. But, at 44 with substantial low back issues I have to keep it dialed back... no more air tricks and loops, just the occasional floating straight jump to get out of trouble. I just want to sail wicked fast, carve swells and rip transitions with good exit speed.

Gear Goals: I want a very fast board that is also smooth (for the back), has great hold and drive in the turns at speed, with good exit speed from jibes. I want rigs that don't take forever to power up but still feel very light in the hand. I hate rigs that feel dead and heavy. Range is nice, but I don't need excessive top end. I'd rather rig down, and I tend to need less power than other guys in the same conditions.

As a starting point, I was looking at the JP freestyle wave 85 and Neil Pryde Combat waves in 4.2 and 5.0.

Welcome any feedback on these and other ideas!

Thanks again everyone.
kmf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always liked the Jp FSW's, have a 102 version for my light wind board. I sail in the gorge so don't use it much. But to the point here, I have a friend that is an ex racer, and she sails fast and hard at Swell City, a hard core bump and jump venue. She sailed JP FSW's for years at this site, a 77or 78 litre, but found that the decks were going soft on her after a year of sailing, (pro version). Last year she switched over to a Tabou Pocket wave, and seems to like those. Not sure about the fast part, but she shreds swell with the best of them. Sailworks, Ezzy, or Northwave sails are a better bet around here. NP's combats are great sails, but expensive, and use proprietary masts, thus making them even more expensive.

KMF
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exocet cross 104 or 94. smooth as butter, yet fast as fugg. they rival my slalom board for speed. corner very well

aerotech phantoms are fast and have low end planing power we need on the east coast

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy sails in your local area, and seems to be pretty up to date:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31784

I would definitely chat with him.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

venturi wrote:

1. I am looking for high wind kit only... I've been riding a 1999 JP 260, 4.2 North Voodoo and 4.8 North Volcano. I am just looking to replace these with modern equivalents.

2. 18kts will be the bottom of the wind range I'm interested in.

3. I'll be riding primarily in bump / swell conditions

4. at 44 with substantial low back issues

5. I just want to sail wicked fast, carve swells and rip transitions with good exit speed ... I don't need excessive top end [sail range]

6. I want a very fast board that is also smooth (for the back), has great hold and drive in the turns at speed, with good exit speed from jibes.

7. I want rigs that don't take forever to power up but still feel very light in the hand. I hate rigs that feel dead and heavy.

8. As a starting point, I was looking at the JP freestyle wave 85 and Neil Pryde Combat waves in 4.2 and 5.0.

Welcome any feedback on these and other ideas!

OK.

1. Many of us far PREFER the older (pre-2008) shapes (aka Trads) over the "modern equivalents" (aka Stubbies) because the former excel at your objectives. "Modern" simply means different; whether it's better is a personal call depending on many criteria.

2. That's my rock bottom minimal average wind speed for my 6.2 and 96 liters @ 175#. At 17 kts I slog way too much and just wanna get my butt back to shore.

3. Exactly my application.

4. I have three decades on you and people still comment every day on my aggressive sailing style and my endurance. I say that in case it can further motivate you to do everything possible to fix that back. I've overcome MANY musculoskeletal and systemic medical problems through study, effort, doctors, PTs, technique, equipment, and persistence.

5. People also comment very often on my speed, and that's WHILE I'm carving rights and lefts and jumping and slashing and jibing in very rough terrain. That's exactly where my older-style wave boards -- all 30 of them including my 2014 retro models -- excel.

6. Ditto. My back is finally fine after having to literally crawl down to the water's edge a few days each year since 1980, but since 1996 it's been my vision: if my head is being jostled by chop, I cannot see (oscillopsia); a smooth ride is essential to me. Again ... narrower Trads (plus extra pads beneath my heels if necessary) excel. Of those 30 (recently culled to just 15 or so), the three most outstanding boards I own -- chosen from a cast of hundreds -- for my and your objectives are from the late 1990s to 2001. My 2014 retro Naish Waves have an advantage in the most extreme conditions because of their tri-fin arrangement, but my overall Best Boards for 5.2 and down (24-40 mph average) are still very clearly older, narrower wave boards. I found the FSW boards a little slow at the rail-to-rail transitions/slashes I love to do at about once per second when terrain-following with the hammer down on a bigger sail than most people are using. My wave boards are faster partly because their superior ride and precision let me keep the throttle wide open all the time and because they respond well to extra power, unlike flatter rockers tuned to a narrower speed range.

7. I'd guess most modern NON-CAMMED sails are pretty lively IF NOT TUNED FOR JUMPING. Jump optimization means a high COE with a tighter leech, which feels less lively compared to sails designed and/or tuned for B&J. Each brand has its own model(s) best suited for the user-friendly maneuverability you and I demand. (Mine also also has outstanding top end range and a very light feel ... just one among well over a dozen reasons I enjoy rigging big.)

8. JP's biggest (?) U.S. dealer has asked JP many times to de-tune them a bit for a more user-friendly ride. My JP FSWs rode nicely enough, but then I try to minimize my chop time (see #6 above) and maximize my speed even when it IS rough. I have MANY boards with much smoother rides and tracking -- especially in full-speed jibes regardless of chop -- than any of my JP waves or FSWs.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: