myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast Extensions. Carbon VS Aluminum.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Mast Extensions. Carbon VS Aluminum. Reply with quote

Carbon Mast Extensions. Are they worth the upgrade?

I sail with "bread-n-butter" Chinook SDM aluminum extensions. In my continuing quest to upgrade my gear I'm curious if the "upgrade" from aluminum to carbon has any real benefit. Will the strength/weight saved justify the weight saving in my wallet?

Chinook Extensions.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.79 KB
 Viewed:  16090 Time(s)

Chinook Extensions.jpg

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sail in salt water I would say yes, carbon is far superior as it does not react with the salt. I bought an aluminum one a few years back and regret buying it.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a salt water sailor but so far have not been affected by corrosion on my extensions. I owned an aluminum boom that was affected with corrosion but it was upgraded to carbon long ago.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Neil Pryde carbon extensions several years back. All blew up with large formula sails with ton's of down haul. Have had three aluminum extensions for years, in salt and fresh water with no issues. I don't think carbon is worth it.
mamero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Blew up"? Yikes! I thought carbon is supposed to be stronger. I guess when carbon does fail it does so catastrophically where as aluminum just bends.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Chinook Euro-pin carbon and aluminum extensions, and the weight difference really isn't that great. On the other hand, I have an old Fiberspar two-pin SDM carbon extension that is feather light. It's so light because there are no holes drilled into it for adjustment, so the wall thickness is much thinner (similar to a SD mast). Instead, it uses a collar that rests on an movable clip that fits into grooves machined into extension. Once you start drilling holes into a carbon extension, you need to beef up the wall thickness maintain strength. That drives up the weight.

Actually, the holes in the Chinook carbon extension worry me, so I now use the aluminum extension instead to avoid the risk of breakage. Like I said, the weight difference between the two isn't much.

Last edited by swchandler on Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the Neil Pryde extensions that "blew up" were the pulley assemblies. They just couldn't handle the downhaul tension.

Now matter the weight difference, it isn't enough to make ANY difference in performance, in my opinion.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, in a recent "Windsurfing Now" article, Derek Rijff notes two differences that are mostly noticeable in longer extensions:
1. Weight, particularly in longer rdm extensions.
2. Bend curve that better matches your carbon mast.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, if I recollect correctly, for a while Fiberspar and Neil Pryde had the same pulley assembly. In the past, one of pulley assemblies on my Fiberspar extension blew up while rigging an 8.1 race sail. I have to admit that the pulley assemblies on the Fiberspars is not nearly as beefy as the Chinooks are today.
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have both the carbon and aluminum Chinook EP SDM medium extensions. No noticeable difference and after several seasons of moderate use, zero problems in salt water. For the $49 difference in price you might as well buy two. That said I usually rig on the bling carbon only because...uh, it's CARBON.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: