myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuits for New England
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
montignp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Wetsuits for New England Reply with quote

Just got into the sport this year, trying to figure out the best way to extend my season as much as possible (Rhode Island) without breaking the bank. My head is spinning from trying to make sense of all the wetsuit threads on here, especially since I don't have a good sense for seasonal air/water temperatures yet. A complicating factor is that I am considering frostbiting in sunfish this winter, and would like something that will cover me there as well.

First thought is a 4/3 and a drysuit. My concern is that the 4/3 will be overkill in September. Thoughts? 3/2 and a 5/4/3?
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much impossible to select one wetsuit to cover all temperature conditions.

A 3/2 full suit will give you the best bang for your buck, but will be overkill when the weather is on the warm side and it won't give you enough protection for extreme cold conditions.

A jacket & john will give you the most versatility with the only real limitation being the extreme cold end of the temperature spectrum. J&J's tend to be a little cooler than one piece full suits because they have more leak points. If you're open to having a wetsuit and a dry suit, I would say a J&J and a dry suit will give you a ton of versatility.

My personal preference is three suits (yes, more than you want). The first is a 2mm long sleeve pull over top. This is very good at cutting the chill on warm days when worn with a pair of board shorts. Then a 2mm long leg & short sleeve suit for moderate conditions. If it is still too cold with this suit alone, I can put my pull over top on for added warmth. Finally, a 5mm full suit (steamer) for winter sailing. Booties, gloves, and a hood are a must for extending into extreme cold weather.

Bottom line- there really is no perfect way to slice it. If you want to sail up to and in extreme cold conditions, there's no way of getting around it - you will need multiple suits. For Spring & Fall sailing, a 3mm suit with booties and a hood are probably adequate for most people.

sm
gschuel1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my solution; all "wet suits"
Air temp 70+; 3/2 Shorty
Air temp 60-70; 3/2 Full Suit
Air Temp 50-60; 4/3 Full Suit
Air Temp 40-50; 5/3 full suit with built-in hood

Yes 4 suits, but they are all relatively low cost. I've sailed in icebergs over my career but now feel Air Temp below 40 is too painful and dangerous to be worthwhile.

I don't find water temp matters much as I don't normally spend a lot of time swimming (knock on wood).

I've had very bad luck with multiple dry suits; the zippers always seem to fail.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned at least 6 dry suits in my 35 years at this, using my current one heavily for nearly a decade now (it smells new and people say it looks new, because I wash it in wetsuit shampoo every time I wear it). I've never had a zipper problem on any of them.

I dress for the water temp, 'cause that's what's going to kill us.

I own well over 30 pieces and parts of "wetsuits" ... full suits, shortys, tops, bottoms, pullovers, neck gaiters, zippered, johns, dry, semi-dry, wet, long- and short- and no-sleeved, liners, shells, hoods, booties ... the variety is endless. Why? Because it allows me to fine-tune my comfort and safety to a degree not achievable with just 2 or 3 suits, it lets me adapt to varying combinations of air and water temps, and with diligent shopping one can save 50-90% on prices.

Botton line: Go for variety and versatility, with an emphasis on layering.

Tip: Most of my buds who have tried hooded suits cut the hoods off because they tire even hefty necks out with all the head-swiveling we do.
npiankov

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do own a few as well and tend to deploy shorty-3/2-4/3-5/3 as the fall progresses. But if you want to start with just 1, do go with 4/3. Yes, it will be warmer than needed in September, but a wetsuit is not something that you'll cook in - there is no issue with overheating (like normal clothes). Once you get it wet, it will keep you warm but you won't be steaming.

The only downside to wearing a 4/3 is that it's heavier, bulkier, less flexible than a 3/2 or a shortie. But it will easily last you through the end of November in RI and will be the optimal bang-for-the-buck choice. Then you can add other wetsuits later.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montignp,

I don't know the shop situation where you live, but be sure to try on before you buy. Overstating the obvious, but if you mail order, you may want to pick two or three sizes of the same suit, to find what fits you best, then return the other one/two.

If there isn't much around you for shopping, maybe a drive to somewhere that has a variety of options may be worth the drive.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npiankov wrote:
a wetsuit is not something that you'll cook in - there is no issue with overheating (like normal clothes). Once you get it wet, it will keep you warm but you won't be steaming.

Some of us experience just the opposite, overheating drastically if we overdress. That depends on one's metabolism an how one sails, and it's why I own so many pieces of neoprene, fleece, vinyl, and Goretex.

Another tip: I buy my suits roomy. I have buds who struggle for 20 minutes to get their damned suits on and need help getting them off. My tolerance limit is about 90 seconds, and if it gets hung up on a hot day it just may get torn or cut off.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Number-nine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do
For cape cod/RI

Late june, july, aug, early sept is good most of the time in trunks or shorty
Mid sept- early january 3-2 migrating to 4/3. depending on air.
Winter 6/4 or 4/3 depends on air/water temp feb and march water is the coldest.
April back to 4/3
May 3/2
June 3/2-shorty

If you only buy one suit 4/3 will cover all.
New wetsuits are getting so much better with stretch, weight dry time etc.
Buy top quality rip curl excel, ion will be most user friendly, warm, flexible.

Hoodless is best for windsurfing, you can always add hood or hat

Trying on is key

Killer tour www.http://internationalwindsurfingtour.com/

My Gear by
http://Goya windsurfing.com/sails/
http://quatrointernational.com/
https://chinooksailing.com/
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

montignp, Check out Ocean State Job Lot for shorties and 3/2 full suits. I bought a nice shorty there for $20.00. Two chepos and a good high quality drysuit will get you through the winter here if it's mild. I used to sail all year round when I was in my thirties, but that was thirty years ago, and the cold did'nt bother me so much.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
I used to sail all year round when I was in my thirties, but that was thirty years ago, and the cold did'nt bother me so much.

We also get a bit wiser and more selective. I admit it: I CHERRY PICK. Critics can just dang well get over it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: