myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2016 Original Windsurfer Nationals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: 2016 Original Windsurfer Nationals Reply with quote

The unofficial 2016 Original Windsurfer Nationals will be held in Houston the weekend of September 24 and 25. Charter boards are available for FREE. Good times. Expect 25 to 30 participants. Reply to this thread if interested.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. Is there a web site for the event? This is a bit too short notice, but I'd definitely think about traveling to attend a future event.
hanrahje

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested. Let me know where to find the details.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find a website. But there is a review of one of the past Houston events here: http://originalwindsurfer.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-07-28T08:14:00-04:00&max-results=7

hanrahje, where do you live? Have you sailed an Original?

I thought there used to be a way to send a PM.
hanrahje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fun! I just moved to the Dallas area from Burlington VT. But I'm currently staying with my wife's family in Clear Lake while we wait to close on our house in McKinney.

I sailed at mud lake last spring when I took a jibe lesson from Cliff Tudor. I haven't sailed an original Windsurfer but I learned on a Magnum and currently sail a Superlight. I don't have experience racing but it looks like a fun, amateur event. Is that right?

You can PM me at hanrahje at gmail dot com.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, my man, are in luck! Mud Lake IS the location. It's a race disguised as a party. (Or is it the other way around?) There will be several first time racers there, as well as sailors with Olympic backgrounds, a few ex national champions, and maybe a pro or two.

I'll pm in a bit, when I get more info.

Do you know that right down the road from you, in Seabrook, they race longboards every Wednesday evening? Have you been to them?
konajoe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The race is a week away. It looks like there will be between 25 and 30 participants, maybe a few more.

If Kona Worlds wasn't in Florida this year, this Original Windsurfer race would be the biggest one design windsurfing race in the country!
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were 28 participants. In unplanned, but true retro spirit, I didn't see anybody taking pictures with a smart phone. But if I find some pictures, I'll post.

Unfortunately, even with the availability of free charter boards, all participants were local to the Houston area. It will be better advertised in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: