myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail weight
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: sail weight Reply with quote

I have been looking to replace an older sail. Most marketing materials highlight how lightweight the new sails are, right around 4 kg in the 6-6.5 meter range with 5 battens. I see as low as 3.6 kg for a 6.1m if going to just 4 battens. To see how far the sail world has come, I decided to measure my existing "old" Gaastra HiFly 6.3m 5 batten sail; it weighs only 3.2 kg. Maybe I need to re-calibrate my package scale, but I don't think it is off. I kept thinking the latest technology would lead to sails vastly lighter than my old one.

So, the question is, are today's heavier sails just a better balance between weight and toughness? My HiFly is mostly the smooth/clear material but getting brittle ... maybe that is indeed the tradeoff?

I know the weight won't matter much, but curious.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often the newer sails include lots of extras that provide greater durability and/or convenience. Some of these features are added material in the boom opening to assist in mast insertion, a strap at the bottom of the luff to help thread the sail on the mast, an allen or screwdriver tool for tensioning the battens, a protective bead of material along the foot of the sail to prevent abrasion, an extra grommet at the clew for outhaul, and a more stout pulley assembly for downhaul. These are only some of the extras you might find in today's sails.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO after testing hundreds of sails for a magazine and myself, a sail's scale weight has no bearing on its PERCEIVED weight under sail. The latter is the cumulative result of MANY independent and related factors including shape, aerodynamics, aspect ratio, stability, mast bend, 1 centimeter tuning tweaks, and much more. The board, not us, is holding up the sail; it's the dynamics -- what WE deal with -- that matter.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the other components in windsurfing, boards, masts, booms, etc. have become much lighter since those old days with old sails, so sail weight isn't much of an issue these days. Also those superlight sails of yesterday, too much thin monofilm, were so fragile with a short lifespan, that they became undesirable.

My brother used to have a pro race sail from the late 80's that was pure monofilm, and it didn't even have a leach hem on it, the monofilm just ended with a cut. It was so fragile that he didn't even want to use it, but it was fast. Ended up giving it away.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ounces here or there means nothing when the rig is on the board and under power. Booms and masts can add up and increase swing weight on sail flips. So mostly you get a better sail with a much larger wind range. Lots of nice little things added to make rigging and tuning easier. Most modern sails last much longer and can take crash and burns better than the older mono film sails. Worth the investment.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'80's sails were lighter than '90's sails.
'70's sails were lighter than '80's sails.
Older sails also had less range and much less stability.
"NEWER" sails started around the later '90's.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
IMO after testing hundreds of sails for a magazine and myself, a sail's scale weight has no bearing on its PERCEIVED weight under sail.

That may be true once in the harness & straps, but not so much water starting, uphauling, tacking or jibing.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg, how right you are. I have a newer 7.0 right now, and it's top flight in waterstarting, handling and jibing. With the recommended 100% carbon mast, the rig handles as lightly and easily as my 6.3, but with a lot more power on tap.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
That may be true once in the harness & straps, but not so much water starting, uphauling, tacking or jibing.

In my experience, water weight trumps sail weight on the first two (for any given size), and technique, aerodynamics and rotational inertia still trump ounces in the turns (where the board is still supporting the sail anyway). There are probably a few people on the planet who can detect a half pound difference in sail weight among all the other factors, but I doubt any of them are on this forum regularly. Think about it: uphauling requires ... what? ... 50 to 100 pounds of force, and in waterstarting it's water in the luff and the danged clew hanging up in the water that we feel most.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaastra ...3.2 kg. Is pretty light, in comparison several regular production sails are around the 3.6 you mention.

It's possible to make a very light sail, it would be at the expense of strength and durabilit

I think 1 pound or better will be felt on all aspects.

I have a custom 7.0 that is 3.4,kg , sail with others who have mostly Ezzy Cheetahs, in 7.5 and larger. The 7 holds it own, gross generalization , but fundamentally true.
This is 1 to 1.5 pounds lighter than others.
I would not consider the weight difference on new sails , the primary objective, it should be a combination things.

If you look at any number of sails you will find a difference in materials through Out,
Most sails now don't use mono, even in the least demand areas, they use xply.
The materials should have a heavier version as more mil , stronger . Comes at a weight increase.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: