myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast pad & toe pad, do you use either?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Mast pad & toe pad, do you use either? Reply with quote

I have about 8 mast pads which I don't use. Am I missing something by not using them?

I have 2 or 3 toe pads that go around a mast base (they look like a volcano) which I don't use. Do you use them? Do you want mine?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a broken toe from kicking the uni cost me a season of WSing decades ago, I always use volcano pads. At a buck a pop, I have a heap of them. No one needs them until they break a toe, at which point it's too late.
gristmilljryGP0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ripped my volcano pad. Happy to take them off your hands....
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the mast pads. Only AFTER you smash a rail or board nose will you need one.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the volcano pads on everything. I find I can rest my foot there with pressure if desired, it offers some protection it the toes connected to the foot, go astray.

Mast pads, no. Thinking you men the lower mast near the pulleys.

I like a ION mast pad that's just under the boom, but it's in the way during tacks.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volcano pads - yes I use one all the time on every rig. Much nicer to stomp your foot against the pad than the U-joint or base plate. If you wear shoes when sailing, then the volcano pad is not as necessary.

Mast base pads - most of my sails have a built in base pad, so a strap on pad is not needed. On those that don't have a built in pad, I use a strap on base pad. You definitely want some type of padding down there to protect your feet and the board from the mast base.

Pad below the boom - if you're in the phase of learning where you catapult a lot, then yes, use a clip on pad below your boom to save the nose of your board. If you don't catapult much, then a pad below the boom is really not needed.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Pad below the boom - if you're in the phase of learning where you catapult a lot, then yes, use a clip on pad below your boom to save the nose of your board. If you don't catapult much ...

... or do aerial tricks ... or sail in gusty winds ... or want to play hard without worrying about your gear ... or advance their skills ... or consider one crunched nose one too many. I, for one, simply don't sail as aggressively when I realize I forgot to pad my mast where it hits the board nose. I'll cut the session short, slog in through the wind shadow, put the forgotten pad in place, THEN cut loose with one thing less to think or worry about. I never know whether to envy or commiserate with people who never get tossed: are they THAT good, or are they just sailing well within their comfort zone and missing a lot of excitement in order to avoid crashing? Is it skill, fear, or a conscious decision ... a preference? Does ANYONE wear a face guard because it LOOKS cool? Very Happy
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mast pad & toe pad, do you use either? Reply with quote

I don't, but I do wear booties.

-Craig

DelCarpenter wrote:
I have about 8 mast pads which I don't use. Am I missing something by not using them?

I have 2 or 3 toe pads that go around a mast base (they look like a volcano) which I don't use. Do you use them? Do you want mine?
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a PM if you want a volcano toe pad.
Send me a PM if you want a mast pad that fits around the bottom of a sail.

Free, except for the postage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: