myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast deviator for formula board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Mast deviator for formula board? Reply with quote

Was wondering if a mast deviator would work with a formula board for deflecting the rig away from the nose of the board to prevent damage. But am worried that it would just deflect it away from the middle and damage the side, considering formula boards are so wide.

If someone has had any experience with "the deviator" or of any other ways of preventing damages on a formula board it would be appreciated.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that Formula boards are intended to be sailed way overpowered by normal standards, I'd guess a Deviator + Formula board/sail = increased likelihood of broken mast and/or deck box. For that and other reasons I prefer to pad my board noses and my masts and let 'em whack. There's a reason the mast pads Dakine made for that purpose are designated as "Formula Mast Pads". (Tip: they work great on tiny sinkers with 2.8s in gales, too.)
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi isobars, thanks for the reply that seems like a good idea to pad the nose, but with what material would work best, foam? and what glue would work with that and would the glue damage the deck coating at all?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEARCH the forum with ALL (as opposed to ANY) of these keywords: NSI Hood River. Enter isobars in the author block and check POSTS rather than THREADS. You'll find 17 posts in which I've discussed my materials and/or techniques. People have told me my pads improve my boards' looks, and I have hard proof that they (plus aforesaid Dakine Formula Mast Pads*) help protect my boards.

* The only source for them is swap meets and my own lifetime supply ... which will be available at some swap meet some day.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi isobars, thanks for those posts. But too bad I do not live any where close to north shore sporting goods store. But was wondering if anyone knows if silent sports carry`s any of the forum padding and glue or if you could find something at a home hardware or some utility store. I will look into it, but let me know if you/anyone has any luck.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silent sports ?
guess you are in Ontario
windspirit.ca used to have them and ship
they are near Montreal
but cannot find any on their website any more Crying or Very sad
found this and am sure there are others - that ship too

http://www.isthmussailboards.com/JP-Universal-Nose-Protector/productinfo/JPP8NUNISET/

windsurf buddy says he uses the foam for steps
sold in hardware stores
he routes it to the shape he wants
and epoxies it on
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSI Hood River SHIPS everywhere in the US and Canada. They are mail order, have to padding you need.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
NSI Hood River SHIPS everywhere in the US and Canada. They are mail order, have to padding you need.

And they had a 20% off sale recently, which may still be active. If I didn't post links to the materials I use, let me know. It's their waffle-grid deck padding foam. It's expensive, but is tough and comes in many colors. You can get it self-stick or glue it on with waterproof contact cement such as the Barge brand.
REDBULL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Mast Pad Reply with quote

I use a mast pad and that seems to work the best. Before you launch, lay the sail up by the nose of the board where it hits the nose place your pad in the center of the area on the mast thats touching. Go sail. That also fixes the problem of a side strike the pads are pretty long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: