myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
beginner question: turning in higher winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Tilt the mast windward & forward, not just forward. That way you will have better leverage over the mast.

Coachg

^^^ This

Only sailed 10 times... you will get it figured out. Just keep sailing and having fun. If your board has a centerboard, try kicking it up a little when the winds are stronger.

As Coachg stated above, you need to tilt the rig to windward. Doing this allows you to be sheeted out and still have the nose to turn downwind. Kind of hard to describe in writing, but once you get a feel for it, you will understand. Practice turning the board in light winds, seeing how quickly you can get the board to pivot upwind and downwind. Sailing in higher winds, you use the same techniques but just have to be more aggressive with your sail handling and how hard you lean against the rig.

sm
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is a progression of skills. Each day on the water will help, if its 2 or 20 mph you must go out. Sounds like you got the bug. I have had it a very long time like most here. Without watching you turn we can not tell what you are doing wrong. Ask the most advanced guy at your spot for some advice. There are tons of video's for you to watch. BIG hint. Have a friend video your turns. What you think your doing wrong or right mostly likely is not what your doing. Watching your self in slow motion is very helpful on developing all your windsurfing skills. I'm going to get hammered by the non believers but, go someplace windy shallow and warm and take a week or so of lessons. Its fun. You will meet lots of like minded people. You will progress in a week more than you would in a year on your own. Focus on water starts, harness and straps and turns. Water starts are easy and open up endless destination, higher wind blasting and smaller faster boards and wave sailing. Most of all enjoy the ride that is windsurfing...
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm entirely a non-planing jiber and nearly always on a long board. In my jibes the bearing off is initiated by bringing the boom head across the board so the windward slanted mast pressure begins pushing the nose downwind. If I remain sufficiently in control I move back on the board raising the nose further out of the water which helps to speed the turn. (I followed the same process on my formula board.) The amount of mast slant toward the stern & how far I step back depends on the strength of the wind.

If I start having balance issues I will switch to a rope jibe. Larger chop following the board will often lead me to make that switch early in the jibe.

If the daggerboard is down & I'm racing I try to bring up the daggerboard just before bringing the boom head across to windward.
snapster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
coachg wrote:
Tilt the mast windward & forward, not just forward. That way you will have better leverage over the mast.

Coachg

^^^ This

Only sailed 10 times... you will get it figured out. Just keep sailing and having fun. If your board has a centerboard, try kicking it up a little when the winds are stronger.

As Coachg stated above, you need to tilt the rig to windward. Doing this allows you to be sheeted out and still have the nose to turn downwind.

sm

This makes a lot of sense to me; if I tilt the rig to windward, it makes sense that I can sheet out if I need to without tipping my body over the leeward side.
Other folks here are talking about techniques for the gybe; thanks for the advice, but this is what I was looking for, because I was simply having trouble bearing off, let alone completing the gybe!
Thanks all.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the wind is at your back, if you tilt the sail "windward", that is the same as tilting (pulling) back on your front arm. Sheeting out will kill everything. You can't complete planing gibe sheeting out. I would normally tilt the sail forward and roll the sail toward the back of the board while sheeting in with my back hand and oversheeting in very strong wind.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodwind wrote:
You can't complete planing gibe sheeting out. I would normally tilt the sail forward and roll the sail toward the back of the board while sheeting in with my back hand and oversheeting in very strong wind.

I think you got your topics mixed up. This isn't about a planing gibe, it is about bearing off in stronger winds.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the problem is trying to jibe in not enough winds. Like I pointed out earlier, if you're not fully planed up, you can't drop your inside rail to jibe. If you do, you actually move in the exact opposite direction, more upwind. That's because at sub-planing speed, your board will work off the curve of the board shape, or curve upwind if you drop the rail. Seems like things would work the other way, but not at sub-planing speeds. That's why in a pivot jibe you sink and use the outside rail. It's not all about sail handling, the board definitely comes into play too.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey snapster ! I think the reason you are getting such a big variety of answers is because folks don't know if you are using a centerboard or center fin when trying to turn down wind. So are you using a center fin or centerboard in the down position?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also couldn't/can't tell whether you were asking about jibing or simply bearing off. It's becoming clear that we misinterpreted your question altogether.
To bear off with your daggerboard retracted, tilt the mast forward and downwind and sheet IN a bit. This drives the sail's center of effort forward of the board's center or lateral resistance, driving the nose downwind.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read the guy's posts - he is talking about bearing off in moderate winds. He has sailed maybe 10 times and is not in the straps or harness. Obviously we are not talking about planing jibes here.

It is a beginner trying to get the board to bear off without being catapulted.

If he is using a board with a centerboard, he should kick the board up either partially or all the way (experiment). This will allow him to stand farther back on the board and still have it turn downwind.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: