myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
when should I start with a harness?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snapster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: when should I start with a harness? Reply with quote

I'm a new windsurfer. I'm really enjoying it, and I've enjoyed a taste of higher winds now (higher for me, that is; maybe 15 mph?). I've gone out about a dozen times now. I can do basic tacks and gybes; I can get back to where I started. I did my first few beach starts the other day. I have a couple of questions:
-when should I start trying a harness? Am I ready to do that?
-I always see harness and footstraps sort of mentioned together. Is that because they sort of come at the same level of progression, or is there a more technical reason that they go together? The reason I ask is because I need to know if it makes sense to use a harness but no footstraps.
Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: when should I start with a harness? Reply with quote

You are ready to try a harness. It can really get your time on the water
up. People mention footstraps and harness together because they are your contact with
your gear. Many use a harness with an SUP with no footstraps, so yes,
you can learn a harness without foot straps, and in fact, that is the typical
next step in your progression. Footstraps are for control once
you are planed up. Long boarders use harnesses without
being on a plane all the time.

Get a harness and get some time with it, you'll love it.

-Craig

snapster wrote:
I'm a new windsurfer. I'm really enjoying it, and I've enjoyed a taste of higher winds now (higher for me, that is; maybe 15 mph?). I've gone out about a dozen times now. I can do basic tacks and gybes; I can get back to where I started. I did my first few beach starts the other day. I have a couple of questions:
-when should I start trying a harness? Am I ready to do that?
-I always see harness and footstraps sort of mentioned together. Is that because they sort of come at the same level of progression, or is there a more technical reason that they go together? The reason I ask is because I need to know if it makes sense to use a harness but no footstraps.
Thanks!

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll recommend what I did. I started moving back on the boom and the board to get into the footstraps. After getting the thrill and feeling of planing in the footstraps, I realized that you really need to add the harness lines and harness to do it for any period of time. I was a little bit tricky the first day adjusting to being hooked-in, and it led to a few catapults or falls, but by the end of the session I had it down.

By planing in the straps without a harness and lines, you know where to place the lines. Without doing that, you're more likely to be a victim of having your lines too far forward, and that will make things far more difficult.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you want to keep sailing, but your arms are dead, then you need a harness. Learning to use the foot straps before the harness is not a bad idea.

But, footstraps mean planing and some speed, so if your arms are shot, but you haven't learned to plane, then the harness would come first.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start learning to use the harness, you are ready. Most windsurfers learn to use the harness before learning to get into the foot straps. If you can take lessons where you are (ABK camps, private lessons at WorldWinds, ...), take a lesson, it will accelerate the learning.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Craig said.

Not only did I begin using a harness 35 years ago before I even owned a footstrap (so I could outlast the wind), I used a board without any straps for an entire season three years ago because my knee surgeon flatly insisted that I avoid straps, which might twist my repaired knee, for a year. Fortunately, he didn't say I couldn't sail in winds averaging 40 mph with gusts to 50, so I had a good summer.

Buy a harness, go sailing, hook in, get stable, unhook, stabilize, hook in, stabilize, unhook, stabilize, hook in, stabilize, ad infinitum, a hundred times, planing or not. You'll feel comfortable in the harness in a day or two.

Then when you start planing more often, you'll get launched a few times. That's OK; repeat the above drill for a long windy day and you'll feel comfortable planing in a harness.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a harness and always wear it sailing just to get used to it then start practicing hooking in and out even when just slogging about.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Get a harness and always wear it sailing just to get used to it then start practicing hooking in and out even when just slogging about.

What he said..why wait till your arms are crying, see how the harness eases the arm effort.

If near a shop ..try them on..if not your are guessing it will feel comfortable.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
snapster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:

What he said..why wait till your arms are crying, see how the harness eases the arm effort.

If near a shop ..try them on..if not your are guessing it will feel comfortable.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like I can start fooling around with it. Another reason I'm thinking about it is because I already own a seat harness from some kiting that I used to do. All I need is a different spreader bar and harness lines (unless I'm missing something).

You know, the time I went out with the highest winds I've seen, my arms got tired, but my legs got really nuked, as much if not more...it seems like the harness should help with that too?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Mr Snapster,

A kiting spreader bar with it's associated broad hooked end is not good
for windsurfing, so you are on the right track.

You'll find your legs and
arms both get less tired, but the major effect is on your arms. Using those
pesky footstraps, while planing, in a proper balanced sailing position will
reduce your leg fatigue a lot.

-Craig

snapster wrote:
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I can start fooling around with it. Another reason I'm thinking about it is because I already own a seat harness from some kiting that I used to do. All I need is a different spreader bar and harness lines (unless I'm missing something).

You know, the time I went out with the highest winds I've seen, my arms got tired, but my legs got really nuked, as much if not more...it seems like the harness should help with that too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: