myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
corporation beach sunday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: corporation beach sunday Reply with quote

looking at going early sunday morning based on windguru reports, high tide at about 7:30 a.m., and i use a 42 cm fin.

how long past high tide will i be able to sail close to shore? couple of hours?
Number-nine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORP is sails be at all tides.
Not much walking there at low tide
This is generally a wave spot. But with tomorrow's wind shore break not a big issue
Fin size is not a usual topic for this beach. But there are a few rocks the east.

Killer tour www.http://internationalwindsurfingtour.com/

My Gear by
http://Goya windsurfing.com/sails/
http://quatrointernational.com/
https://chinooksailing.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider sailing at Skaket. Northwest often comes in stronger there than in Dennis - not quite as much as the meters say, but 3-5 mph more is common. Tide should be fine until 11 or so, after that it's a long walk back. But the wind will probably drop in the late morning, anyway.

The drive to Skaket from off-Cape is only about 5 minutes longer than to Chapin or Corporation. If you never sailed there before, here's a video: https://vimeo.com/77415652
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you both for the information, will decide in a.m. which to go to.
neverboard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So who's going where tomorrow? I was originally thinking Chapin for small waves but could be tempted to try Corp or Skaket. I'll aim for around 8 or 8:30am. For Skaket park at the end of Skaket Beach Road I assume?
-Jason
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, let me know if you're going. Besides the Skaket area, I was also considering Barnstable Harbor. It's flat, and much closer to my house (15 min vs. 45 for Corp & Skaket). Nina is still getting over a cold and may not sail tomorrow.

For Skaket, the big parking lot is at the end of Skaket Beach Road. Exit 12 off road 6, right , left at the light, keep going until you see the water. If you're thinking you may sail past 11 am, then Ellis Landing in Brewster is a better launch in NW, since you can get a lot closer to shore at low tide.

Peter
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is parking for barnstable harbor?
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i'm tempted to go to skaket tomorrow with the possibility of an extra mph. i've only ever sailed at kalmus on the cape and want to branch out a bit.

with the wind low but hopefully planing speed i hope to not have to fight the waves too much. am now just getting comfortable in harness and footstraps on my new bic 133 after moving down from my go 170.

the flat comment about the barnstable harbor sounds good too, but will the tides make for a current that has to be fought against?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelmarEdward wrote:
the flat comment about the barnstable harbor sounds good too, but will the tides make for a current that has to be fought against?

The spot where I sail in Barnstable Harbor has some current and as well as some shallow areas. I would not want to sail there with a 42 cm fin; I'm usually on a fin shorter than 30 cm. It's deeper at other areas, but it's also choppy there. At your level, Skaket may be your better bet, unless the wind comes in much stronger than forecast. The iWindsurf meter at Hatch Beach reads about 2-4 mph too high for Skaket. The wind at Skaket tends to be less gusty, too.

Keep in mind that the tide on the Cape Cod Bay side is about 10 ft, compared to just 3 ft at Kalmus. Currents are not an issue at Skaket, but water levels are. Skaket is best at mid-tide (~9:30-11:30 tomorrow). If you want to sail later, you could check out Bayview or Mayflower Beach in Dennis (or Corporation).
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the info, will do skaket tomorrow getting there about 8:00 to rig. will use your directions off exit 12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: