myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Skaket beach sunday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Skaket beach sunday Reply with quote

Was my first time at skaket beach today and i think i found a new favorite windsurfing spot (wind direction accounted for, of course).

the beach is very wide and you can go on each tack for a very long time, if you want. was not out at lowest tide but had no problem with my fin at 42 cm.

the windguru site (4 km) shows 15-19 knots, and in the gusts were almost too much for me with my retro 8.0, but i did pretty well being able to do deep beach starts and quickly getting into the harness and both footstraps on each run. had a couple of very nice catapults too. one aggravated an old teres minor injury on my right side but no sailing for two weeks anyway so should calm down.

very nice to meet Ron and Jeff and see Marty again.
Ronald.C

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for coming out!

Only 15 to 19? Although there were some quiet moments, when it filled in it was good.

I think we caught the out going tide just about perfect.

RC
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had fun. Skaket can be great if the conditions are right.

The wind meter is at the end of the road at First Encounter Beach. In the NNW wind you had today, the wind has to come over 600 feet of dunes, so the meter may actually read low. For the same reason, the meter readings looked very gusty, with lulls below 10 mph and gusts above 25.

In a more westerly direction, the wind comes more directly from the water, and hits the solar panel under the sensor at an angle that directs the wind towards the meter; that's when the meter sometimes shows readings that seem too high.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: