myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
myth busters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald.C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: myth busters Reply with quote

1. Old boards don’t work. Mine will be 25 on Christmas Eve. Just used tonight for a decent after work session, right to dusk. A 5.0 tonight and a decent 6.0 session on Sunday. Throw in 3- 3.7 sessions this summer to prove its range is decent. I know for a fact it's not the fastest, but it does fit me like an old couch.

2. New sails don’t work on old boards. My Ezzy Panther Elite, bought used from Windance has a very sweet feel.

3. Epoxy doesn’t work on Polyester. I mixed up a homemade epoxy concoction of Re-Dek. 2 dispenser pumps with my West Marine Resin and Super Clear hardener plus table salt came out very nice. I read through the archives and someone mentioned castor salt. I guess I’m somewhat crude as I never knew WTF castor salt was. It’s salt shaker salt. A special blend of designer salt, Morton’s right out the cupboard, was handiest. Thankfully my wife had bought sea salt, as you wouldn’t want to contaminate the ocean with plain old salt. I did make it finer by hitting it with a rolling pin. Did it Sunday night, checked it Monday night – it was really rough in some spots, enough to take the skin off a rhino. Last night hit the rough sections with a light sandpaper pass. It worked fine!

IMG_1667.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.35 MB
 Viewed:  17720 Time(s)

IMG_1667.JPG

Ronald.C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more myth debunked. No issues with an older SDM with the Ezzy
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: myth busters Reply with quote

Ronald.C wrote:
Epoxy doesn’t work on Polyester [is a myth].

That's because your epoxy resin didn't touch the core of your poly board. If it had, your board would be burning through your garage floor like Chernobyl. Very Happy

The right old boards work FINE ... better than new ones for many purposes and people ... with new or old sails.
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy is compatible with ALL foam types. Polyester resin eats up closed cell foam.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter wrote:
Epoxy is compatible with ALL foam types. Polyester resin eats up closed cell foam.

Right. I got it backwards.

I'll never forget the smoking cauldron that poly resin turned my Mistral Comp into. Back then, in New Mexico, my dealer's solution was to hollow out the board with an ice cream scoop, spray in a bunch of foam-in-a-can, lop off what didn't look like Mistral's shape, glass it over, and pull out a can of Mistral-colored paint.

It floated. Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the better sailors, but slow, at Berkeley CA. uses 1989 Windwing Race sails on 2016 Tabou Rocket Wide 118. Sometimes, he uses new sails, 1990 Windwing Slalom Comp, on that board.
My G/F has been using a Gaastra 6.5 Cosmic on her F-162 Formula for 2 year's now.
Xavier F won a light wind Formula race last year with a 7.9, against mostly mid 10;s and low 11 meter sails.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC
I always felt that the salt was somewhat "slippery" and can make the deck downright sharp scratchy

Phil Clark has some Monster paint spray on that works real well for next time

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald.C wrote:
one more myth debunked. No issues with an older SDM with the Ezzy

David Ezzy would say, and has, that the mast bend curve is more important than the RDM OR SDM MAST.

The Elite looks nicely rigged.

This was given to me, I found it too nice to cannalibize for parts, shipping about 150.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Ronald.C

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who got me into sailing bought a brand new Hi-Tech back in the day. The name and logo, to me, is almost iconic as Windsurfing Hawaii's.

Although we didn't have the crowd that upper Cape Cod crew had today, another decent end-of-day 5.0 session.

Hardie dragged me out of my stupor from work.

RC

Last edited by Ronald.C on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
jpeter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use 2-part white epoxy paint and sugar for the deck. Sticky till it rinses off fully.

Salt + moisture can do bad things to some uncured epoxy. I dripped a bit of sweat on a board during layup once and noticed that it was gummy (during sanding) It never cured 100% in that spot.

JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: