myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Skate Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willhf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Skate Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hi All

I am eager to practice on land this winter so that I can crush jibes on the
water next summer.

Anyone have a windsurf skateboard setup they would like to sell?

If not, I suppose I'm making one: Should I attach the universal base in front
or behind the front trucks?

Anyone know of a good place to practice near Portland?

I welcome all of your thoughts and advice!

Cheers!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Skate Windsurfing Reply with quote

willhf wrote:

Are you sure? Smile

OK: Invest in plenty of protective gear. Pavement is hard $#!+, and has injured -- even killed at least one while at a walking pace -- MANY guys (most girls are either too smart or don't have enough testosterone to make them that dumb) attaching sails to small land objects. I wore full desert racing gear even on lawns, and still quit landsailing when most of my buds broke and/or sprained bones and joints.

Just so ya know.
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a landsailer that I would be happy to sell. I made it a few years ago, and never really have used it. I have the board, sail, mast and boom if you are interested, PM me.

It's a nice longboard....made with marine grade 8 layer plywood, I used real nice skateboard trucks and wheels and attached a chinook mast base to it.

KMF
vientomas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so ya know, I used one occasionally for years with never a scratch. I mounted the mast base in front of the front trucks. Had a beater rig that i had no qualms about letting hitting the pavement. The parking lot for a college football stadium was my preferred launch. Watch out for gravel on the pavement. Have fun!!
crashpile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the Oregon Coast if possible. Manzanita's beach is pretty decent at low tides. I have landsailed there and saw another guy doing it also.
hein

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did this all the time for a few years when we lived in Kansas. A longer board with mast foot just ahead of the front truck worked well for us. Still have my custom made aluminum concave board.

We had a crew that would search for newly paved parking lots. We would set up a few cones and game on. It was a hoot! There were spills but never any major injuries. Mostly just occasional road rash and definitely hard on boom grip. We wore helmets, knee and elbow pads and it was usually a winter time activity so coats and gloves. Small high foot sail, no harness; you could pump to speed even with just a little wind. Duck jibes and lay down jibes came easily. Lot's of other possibilities for free style with so little rolling resistance and ability to get moving in light wind.

I'll try to dig up some photos.
dosfatboys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good location should have a large area w/o traffic and little wind obstruction, like the Textronix parking area off SW Jenkins Rd., in Beaverton on the weekend, or some local high school. What area in PDX are you most interested in?
dosfatboys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good location should have a large area w/o traffic and little wind obstruction, like the Textronix parking area off SW Jenkins Rd., in Beaverton on the weekend, or some local high school. What area in PDX are you most interested in?
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use my 44" skateboard for land sailing anymore, too easily stopped by tiny pebbles when going slow (land sailing jibes are slow).

There isn't any need to make one when used mountain boards are so plentiful because many wanna be mountain boarders find out how dangerous they are on hilly terrain. I've enjoyed land sailing on parking lots on mountain boards with decks as small as 32.25" long and decks as narrow as 9". Longer is better, wider is better, bigger wheels are better.

Craigslist in Portland area has Carveboard for $50 listed under "longboard". Grab that one if you can. The mast base goes behind the front truck. I have two Carveboards that are great for land sailing. I've also had good luck with several MBS boards. Basically all mountain boards are over engineered for land sailing because they are built to take the strain of jumping.

A mountain board was listed for $80. It isn't as good as the Carveboard, but it is good enough. You can't build anything for that price.
streetsailing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Skate Windsurfing Reply with quote

Hi will
I've been doing Streetsailing for 30yrs.
If you're on pavement, get a long board and mount the uni about 2 inches behind the front trucks.

if you're off road, get one of my Streetsailing.net boards.
Have fun and be safe.
check out Streetsailing on FB too.
Sail On!
JR

willhf wrote:
Hi All

I am eager to practice on land this winter so that I can crush jibes on the
water next summer.

Anyone have a windsurf skateboard setup they would like to sell?

If not, I suppose I'm making one: Should I attach the universal base in front
or behind the front trucks?

Anyone know of a good place to practice near Portland?

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: