myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I'm Chuffed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: I'm Chuffed! Reply with quote

One of my old boards which I occasionally use just for the fun of it, is a 1998 94 litre Bic Saxo 270 with a Turkish Slipper nose. It has just rung my bell.

Yesterday it hit the jackpot, on what was one of my best sessions this year. I was using it in a fresh onshore wind, on a beach which has a shallow reef a few hundred yards out to break the heavy surf, leaving a heaving lumpy swelly mass with 'bomb hole' type crators and banks to climb, but no actual breaks. (Until close to shore.)

It took a while to trust the board but that Turkish Slipper nose really does work at speed, and the board was soon blasting over the worst of it easily. A stand out was the way it smoothly banked hard over in a long graceful arc into the gybe. Unfortunitely, I'd forgotten how to right it at the end, and fell a lot, (I was laughing too much.)

The point is, regardless of its absolute performance compared to a modern board (my Exocet Cross 94 is the nearest competitor) the Saxo still works. Whether it was just nostalgia that held the interest,or finding that it could still 'turn it on' I don't know, or care. I was having fun! (I've noted before that Mr. Bic has made some very interesting boards over my windsurfing years, and this is one of them!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that board and most of Bic's performance boards. I would still have one if they made high wind boards. I still recommend Bic boards like the Core for the new guy's first planning ride.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lots of reasons!!!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who loves his Mistral custom "Turkish Slipper", narrow with a turned up nose, 90-someting lts. Whenever he gets to 5.5 or less, he is loving his old school board.

Wish I had kept the old F2 Ride 104, which at my weight would work great in the same 5.5 conditions, or windier.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffed..very pleased..usual definition ..tickled pink

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why not 'tickled pink' sir?

It is a very pretty board with its yellow, red, and silver graphics, plus my own mermaid and seagull additions. (I call my mermaid Huldra, and she saves me from drowning - well, I like to believe so!)

But I won't mess with sawing off noses, and adding a forest of fins!!! Laughing Laughing
(Yes, I know, some of us lack vision. Embarassed )
tm00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can still fondly recall sailing my Saxo 270. For my sailing it was a great fit.
Speaking of radical noses, I still love sailing my 254 Tiga.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old still works.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
And why not 'tickled pink' sir?

It is a very pretty board with its yellow, red, and silver graphics, plus my own mermaid and seagull additions. (I call my mermaid Huldra, and she saves me from drowning - well, I like to believe so!)

But I won't mess with sawing off noses, and adding a forest of fins!!! Laughing Laughing
(Yes, I know, some of us lack vision. Embarassed )

My sole purpose with the 'chuffed' definition , is and was to inform those who may be unfamiliar with its useage. Much like gutted, when used in a sentence needs none" I was gutted when my board broke in 2". Nether of these are used much in the US.
Since you don't AFAIK use SIR , in posts to others that I see, I wonder it's true meaning here. I'm very egalitarian.

Your LOL comments on sawing , forests of fins, lol , are noted and your opinion while different to mine are noted. These 2 , had the nose and tail shortened, reshaped, rails redone, ALL boxes removed , multi fins installed.
The near board, 2nd in the series was ridden by a few doubting , until they came back, then wide smiles and it is really a quad?

I think my posts are consistent that I feel the newer shapes are far easier to learn on, I. Prefer them myself. I don't recall any comments otherwise on older shapes.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm Chuffed! Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I was having fun!

It sure sounds like it! Congratulations on a great session.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: