myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I'm Chuffed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just our mischievous sense of humour U2. We always semi-insult those we like to think of as friends. No offence intended I did once compliment you on your professional skills. You clearly know what you are doing, and why. (Forgiven?)

P.S. Thank you P.P. and others. Not much fun today. Cold(ish), raining, rough and smelly sea with masses of storm stacked seaweed (sinking up to knees trying to climb over it with board (modern one) and rig to reach the water,, then falling tit over base while trying to balance on the slippery mess underfoot,in the small surf .)

It could, perhaps, have been a little better! Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The REAL, as in most severe, flip tips aka"Turkish Slippers", mostly came and went in the early to mid 90s. By the late '90s that had moderated into merely upturned noses that served and still serve a valuable, rib- and face-saving benefit: the freedom to wantonly drive a small board dead downwind straight down the face of one wind-generated steep swell directly into the back of the leading swell, at top speed, under full power, hooked in, with the certainty that it Will. Not. Pearl.

No way in hell am I going to try that on a flat-nosed board.

That surety also boosts one's speed in beam reaches in big, closely-packed, confused seas, where a raised nose (plus first-hand verification) lets the driver sail a small board flat out, overpowered, and sheeted in for max speed through terrain he can barely see over ... while looking upriver to be sure there's no barge coming or looking over his shoulder to be sure he has room to rip off an extremely tight full-speed jibe.

One of my most memorable crashes ever was when my 2008 Starboard Evo XTV pearled while I was hooked in at full speed in a beam reach in very modest conditions because its nose was too damned flat. NO recreational freeride board should pearl in thigh-high non-breaking crap. The LAST thing I want to worry about when mindlessly slashing nasty terrain at full power and full speed is pearling.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
It's just our mischievous sense of humour U2. We always semi-insult those we like to think of as friends. No offence intended I did once compliment you on your professional skills. You clearly know what you are doing, and why. (Forgiven?)

P.S. Thank you P.P. and others. Not much fun today. Cold(ish), raining, rough and smelly sea with masses of storm stacked seaweed (sinking up to knees trying to climb over it with board (modern one) and rig to reach the water,, then falling tit over base while trying to balance on the slippery mess underfoot,in the small surf .)

It could, perhaps, have been a little better! Rolling Eyes

The first to apologize is the bravest( is that what you did)
The first to forgive the strongest.
The first to forget is the happiest.

Did you say something?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been chuffed since we had an Ulster Project exchange student here about 20 years ago (well, maybe I've been chuffed, but I haven't said it)

Enjoy that Saxo amigo. I've had the pleasure of riding one myself, but not
for a very long time now.

-Craig
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, lots of old boards can be just as fun as newer boards. It's all about the smile anyway!!
We have a barrel of a storm, crashing into the Pacific NW right now. There's going to be Gorge-like sailing in Seattle for portions of the next 3 days.
I think tomorrow I might sail an F2 Axxis 272 (with a flip-tip) for the first time. I bought it a few years ago, but have so many choices I've never tried it.
And if it really Nuke's I might try a Gorge Animal quad something... never tried that one either.

Jim.od3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still sail a Bic Saxo 270 as my primary board for the gorge, although I've recently acquired a newer Naish board that is getting more and more use. The Bic is a great board. It's very solidly built, though a bit heavy. It sails great and is easy to maneuver. I like the flipped up nose. I've re-decked the non-skid 3 or 4 times, added some extra foam pad, chopped off the last inch or two of the nose when it got smashed. And still the board holds up well.

I've had a lot of great sessions on that board. Before the Saxo I had a Bic Vivace which was also a nice board, but not so great for the Gorge.

-Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: