myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Champlain
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Lake Champlain Reply with quote

I may end up biting the bullet and drive up from CT to Lake Champlain this Sunday.
I was checking Google Maps and looks as Delta Park which is located relatively close to the Colchester Reef meter (damn does it get windy up there). Seems like it blowing in the 30s yesterday. This kitesurfing video was taken from Delta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNoVFEuvB4

Thoughts?

Thanks

Lars
marcheinzer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Burlington and launch directly form Burlington. Yesterday and the day before were good days. I sailed both days on a 4.7. It looks that we get some wind on Saturday and Sunday. You can check the NOAA forecast here
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/BTV/RECBTV

There is sail boat launch at the North end of the Burlington harbor by the Lake Champlain Community Sailing Center. This launch works well when the wind comes from the south, west and the north. On a westerly to north you can also launch from Oakledge park. This is a city park on the south end of Burlington bay with grass to rig and a sandy beach. In the north end of Burlington, you can launch from Leddy park this works well when the wind ranges from south to south west. The park also has a grassy area to launch and a beach. You can find the parks on google map.

The water is currently around 60 F and the air temperature should be between 50 and 60.

I hope I see you out there.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dudes from Montreal seem to go to Platz, AuSable and LesRoches/ROCKS
which is near Platz

you can see here:
http://www.lucmarinier.com/flipperdesign/

si vous êtes capable de lire en francais - check ca !!
http://z11.invisionfree.com/WindsurfingMontreal/index.php?showforum=3

wish i got down there more often !!!
and yet don't have skills nor equipment for what i see on the forum !!

ENJOY !!
tm00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars
In NY
Cumberland Head State Park is great with south wind and has some serious lake waves.
City of Plattsburgh Beach - great beach, right next to State Beach.
The Straights - Cumberland head old rd (aka rocky beach to northern sailors) has great side shore conditions. Swell here it big and well formed.
AuSable State Park - mostly kiters

These are the popular spots with out of area sailors.

Check out the wind graph for Plattsburgh Bay for this past Thursday. Serious change in wind speed in a short period of time. I was just getting through shore break (10 ish) when it shut down.
mikej1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Champlain Reply with quote

I like LesRoches, looks like late this afternoon into tomorrow morning could be a winner. I've been there too when it dropped like a rock from 30+ to zilch in a matter of seconds. The wind killer clouds to the west are usually the prelude.
tm00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny year with the wind on the lake this past season. While it shut down at plattsburgh (thursday) it continued to blew at White Beach, VT. The two sites are with in 10 to 15 miles of each other, with open lake between.
DrWind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving up from Hartford, CT. So will stick with VT side. Still thinking of Delta, which is more centered on the lake and nearer to the highest forecasted wind speeds. The HRRR is going nuts with gusts in the 40s. The 5km NAM shows 25-35 until noon then gradually diminishing.

Planning on arriving there around 7 am if not before.

Is there anywhere to launch closer to Colchester Pt. I noticed on Google Maps and Streetview that there seemed to be a spot on Colchester Pt. Rd. Did not see any members only sign.

Lars
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesterlh wrote:
Did not see any members only sign.

If you had seen one, there's often a cure for such real or implied prohibitions: a polite request. I've had many landowners including private homes, a variety of businesses, state and federal parks, and more gladly let me launch from their lawns, from campgrounds closed for the season, and onto lakes under advisory (i.e., not mandatory) closures for various reasons. If I suspect I won't like the answer or can't easily find an owner, I have been known to just go sailin'. Only once in 35 years has anyone spoken to me about it, and he was the lawn mower guy at a big office building on the Columbia River and I was on his turf (literally). I just referred him to the CEO in the penthouse facing the river, whom I had already asked.

Glenn Taylor chose a great title for his 1979 book, "Wherever there's water and wind: A complete guide to the sport of windsurfing". I don't recall any mention in the book of needing an invitation.

Most people enjoy watching folks have fun.

Mike \m/
tm00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars
Good luck tomorrow finding wind. You will be near White Beach which has an Iwindsurf sensor. Have not been over there in a long time so not sure of conditions.

Had a good sail today on NY side.
DrWind

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

Just sent one of the owners of the vacant lot an email. Checked the Town of Colchester's GIS website to find the owner of property.

Lars

Screenshot_2016-10-15-19-23-26.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.63 MB
 Viewed:  21408 Time(s)

Screenshot_2016-10-15-19-23-26.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: