myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compact/Stubby Wave Boards..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
be careful folks. multi fin, short and stubby works in side off, when one does not need upwind planing power. yup, even if the wind is a bit holey, short and stubby is fine, BUT if one needs to sail in onshore stuff, they suck balls.

buyer beware is all....

Full power 100% planing stubbies work like a treat. But not in the light wind onshore schlogging we get here in Central Florida. Maybe they work down at Jupiter Inlet where the wind is usually 10 mph stronger than up here at Jetty Park.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Goya Custom Quad 116 L (231 cm so not technically a stubby) and the Quattro Cube 95 L (223 cm so just short enough to be a stubby). I sail in Central Florida and weigh 175 lb.

The Goya 116 L is a revelation for cross onshore wave riding. Before the Goya I had a 2012 110 L Quattro Cube and before that an 2006 Exocet Exo-wave 105 L. Both of my previous 2 boards were excellent light wind cross shore wave boards, but both came up short for wave riding in cross on. The Exocet with its big single fin was great for planing up quickly and getting out over the waves, but never liked the instant snappy bottom turns that cross onshore wave riding requires. I've set the Goya up as a twin fin with 18 cm fins and covers over the thruster boxes. In this set up, as long as there is enough wind to plane (big if in Central Florida), I point off the wind and pump the sail and the board pops onto a plane and speeds out to the back line. Once on a wave it excels at those short snappy bottom turns and slashing top turns that cross onshore wave riding requires. Plus it keeps its speed through the bottom turn better than any other board I've used to date.

The Quattro Cube 95 L is unfortunately just too small for Central Florida. I've used it once in about 25 mph straight onshore at Cherie Down, and it was a rocket ship, fast to plane and snappy on the turns. Massive backside aerials were childs play. But that was nearly 10 months ago and it hasn't blown strong enough to use it since then.

So my conclusion based on that single session is stubbies aren't just hype, they do work, provided you have wind.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for loopless , to post an answer on bump n jump.

Usual replys about mu,it finned wave boards, from usual source. NB , didn't say it were wrong, consistent if nothing else.
I have not ridden the 1YO, versions. I did have a half day in B & J on a Starboard Black Box, that fits the stubby wave , to a tee. Starboard , the following year , replaced it with the Reactor, this was my impression as well.

look forward to try the mini thruster.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
be careful folks. multi fin, short and stubby works in side off, when one does not need upwind planing power. yup, even if the wind is a bit holey, short and stubby is fine, BUT if one needs to sail in onshore stuff, they suck balls.

buyer beware is all....

My most recent shortie is a twinzer and it goes upwind just fine thank you.
But if you have to sail in straight on shore wind, you have more problems than just a short stubby board, I wouldn't, and don't, go out in straight on shore winds, I'd go someplace else. Straight on shore wind is what sucks balls.
More like sailor beware.
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

buyer beware is all....

Actually I think my 85L cube goes upwind freaking great - better than any of my old wave boards.
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
How is it sailing when there are no waves? Bump-n-jump conditions?

I've sailed it in 4.2 B&J, but was really overpowered on a 4.7 so it's hard to really say.

I would say a dedicated wave board is not always the first choice when sailing B&J. So the answer to the question would be , for occasional B&J sailing the 85 Cube was totally fine and as good as any of my old wave boards, but if I sailed 100% B&J i might think about using something apart from a dedicated wave board.

Last edited by loopless on Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see other people are enjoying the new compact shapes. I'm not saying the Cube is the best - I would read the reviews in UK Windsurf magazine where they do various comparisons.

Another example, my buddy just bought a new Goya 96L Quad Wave ( he's nearly 200lbs) . It's pretty darn compact. He was skeptical but he sailed it in Baja, and liked it so much he immediately put his 84L RRD single fin and 99L JP Thruster up for sale.

A lot of the 'old-school' conventional wisdom about wave board volumes does not apply anymore. You can "go big" and sail these compact shapes down to high-wind conditions without feeling uncomfortable.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Compact wave boards Reply with quote

Very Happy And you can go smaller cause they are so damn efficent my 80 ltr.Goya Custom Quad goes great in powered up 5.0 conditions just fine Very Happy
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic now has a stuuby freewave board.

I would love a side by side comparrison b/w stubby freewave & tradditinal freewave.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Fanatic stubby fw Reply with quote

Go to fanatics forum my sailing buddy has already done that.has fanatic fw 85 95 115 bought the stubby 105 thrilled with it Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: