myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compact/Stubby Wave Boards..
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Compact/Stubby Wave Boards.. Reply with quote

I am a convert to stubby wave boards , or at least compact ones like my Quatro Cube 85.

I think a lot of people think the stubby designs might be just another fad invented by the industry - I was definitely a bit skeptical, but I'm a convert now.

In the last 6 months I've sailed my board in conditions from 5.7 down to solid 4.2 San Carlos in head-high plus surf. Plus some flat water in 4.2 wind on a 4.7 ( bad choice).

Here are the pros
- The shortness just makes it snappy on the wave.
- Amazing 'range'. I have now sold all my other wave boards except for my 102L big board. I was more comfortable on my Cube 85 than my JP 74L Quad Pro ( traditional shape) in 4.2 over head DTL sailing. This is a big deal for the average,non-sponsored, sailor to have one board for 'all 'conditions. Packing for Baja just got much easier.
- When you get worked, the shortness plays huge dividends in reducing the "torque" on ankles and knees.

I have been sailing for 30 years, and I think back to the days of 'plowing the field' in the old fiberglass 'short' boards, and thank my lucky stars that boards ( and everything else) are just so much better.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it sailing when there are no waves? Bump-n-jump conditions?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Compact/Stubby Wave Boards.. Reply with quote

loopless wrote:
I think back to the days of 'plowing the field' in the old fiberglass 'short' boards, and thank my lucky stars that boards ( and everything else) are just so much better.

Or at least different. "Better" is a highly subjective term, highly dependent on each sailor's needs and preferences.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Compact/Stubby Wave Boards.. Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
loopless wrote:
I think back to the days of 'plowing the field' in the old fiberglass 'short' boards, and thank my lucky stars that boards ( and everything else) are just so much better.

Or at least different. "Better" is a highly subjective term, highly dependent on each sailor's needs and preferences.

It's also implied that the writer speaks for his own experience first and shares so others may be informed by his thoughts and impressions.

You regularly sound off about how one board might not be the best at one thing but great at others, and offer a list of variables to add color but apparently intended to bolster your argument.

Arguing an axiom or maxim is the epitome of wasted energy. Thus, I will now cease. See what I did there?

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Compact/Stubby Wave Boards.. Reply with quote

loopless wrote:
I am a convert to stubby wave boards , or at least compact ones like my Quatro Cube 85.

I think a lot of people think the stubby designs might be just another fad invented by the industry - I was definitely a bit skeptical, but I'm a convert now.

In the last 6 months I've sailed my board in conditions from 5.7 down to solid 4.2 San Carlos in head-high plus surf. Plus some flat water in 4.2 wind on a 4.7 ( bad choice).

Here are the pros
- The shortness just makes it snappy on the wave.
- Amazing 'range'. I have now sold all my other wave boards except for my 102L big board. I was more comfortable on my Cube 85 than my JP 74L Quad Pro ( traditional shape) in 4.2 over head DTL sailing. This is a big deal for the average,non-sponsored, sailor to have one board for 'all 'conditions. Packing for Baja just got much easier.
- When you get worked, the shortness plays huge dividends in reducing the "torque" on ankles and knees.

I have been sailing for 30 years, and I think back to the days of 'plowing the field' in the old fiberglass 'short' boards, and thank my lucky stars that boards ( and everything else) are just so much better.

Thanks for the helpful description. I'm again loaded with boards just to cover the conditions. My 74 liter wave board works fine, but requires so much more out of me than an 89 liter almost-wave even in really windy conditions. That hull is nearing its natural death as it's rocker went weird this summer, so I do appreciate that you shared specific thoughts on the Cube 85.

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with loopless more.

A few other pluses~
That added width makes slogging thru the holes easier due to its added stability.
Foam distribution is vastly improved. Old school boards have too much foam in front of the mast and not enough where you stand leading the board being unstable when underpowered. What good does that long nose do you when its sticking up in the air when going slow? None.
I can take my newer board out in much lighter wind than my older one with similar volume, for those very reasons.
Wave carving is much easier with less length to swing around, and a template that isn't so straight.
They are also easier on the sails during a wipeout, no long nose to go thru or damage the sail. And the rig is easier on the board w/o having that long nose out there just waiting to get smashed.

After windsurfing since '84, I was looking for something to re-stoke my love for the sport, and these boards are just what I needed.
I'm a hard core convert at 66 years old.
Actually at 64 when I did my first conversion.

Only one advantage of an old school wave board that I can think of, when powered up they go faster, but not that much, and so what, we are out there for the waves.
Gorge_R_and_D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree as well, new compact shapes are super fun. I would add that they work great in Bump & Jump. Depends on the specific board though, I loved my 2013 Fanatic Quad or lately the Quatro Super Mini which is really fast! The Cube is a great board, but not even a really fast compared to The new Goya Custom or Super Mini...
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Compact wave boards Reply with quote

After windsurfing for 35 years these short compact boards are just what we need!!!own quatro super mini 103@78.the 103 is my lite wind board for 4.5 to 5.5.the 78 WAS my higher wind board from 5.0 down but my wife claimed it as her own.these things work from flat water b@j to logo high mush on the Great Lakes where we call home.being in our early 60,s these sticks make sailing super fun and easy.for high wind we ride Goya Custom Quads 68@80.don,t look back try a mini or stubby and you to might be a convert to the modern era Question
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be careful folks. multi fin, short and stubby works in side off, when one does not need upwind planing power. yup, even if the wind is a bit holey, short and stubby is fine, BUT if one needs to sail in onshore stuff, they suck balls.

buyer beware is all....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Short New Shapes Reply with quote

Sail these things in dead on shore and they are super fun never had a board plane so quick in Onshore wind shore break current.103 Ltrs floats my 180 lbs in 5m hooded suit in fresh water fine Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: