myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compact/Stubby Wave Boards..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Wow! It took 24 tries to post this.

Neither I, Capetonian, nor dmilovich noticed the age of the thread nor of your comment. Craig illustrated the bias present in any "remarks", particularly in his example involving performance criteria. Readers interested in information rather than confrontation tend to overlook dates in the fine print.

Both capetonian and dmilovich posted prior to you.
Craig after me and you. Pray tell which reader information interest you refer to ?
I’m read no remarks that can be interpreted by Craig to such criteria.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary,

Couldn't tell what float it was, but it looked about 90 ltrs to me. The guy
was like 6'4 and muscly probably 210 or 215. He's been riding it in light
wind and heavy. For him, it seems to be a one size fits all board. Maybe
I'll introduce myself and ask him about it next season if I see him again.

-Craig

U2U2U2 wrote:
Ahhh, the Witchcraft Reaper, their company wave.

Witchcraft line of boards is amazing . Any chance you know what size ?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us in this thread are interested in facts and opinions about ... TA DA ... stubby boards. You can shove your irrelevant, time-wasting personal BS where the sun don't shine. And, PLEASE ... proofread your posts if you want them to make sense. At least one sentence in almost every post of yours cannot be diagrammed; many can't even be guessed at. "To look at a link, and phrase unbiased" ... really?

Back on topic ... the selected stubbies I evaluated and/or tested sailed too much like saucers to me. I love loose, but I still call spinout "spinout", not looseness or sliding, and PREFER -- i.e., am biased towards -- accurate tracking to vague sliding even when I'm carving up swell and chop. Extensive sliding is certainly a valid skill and objective, but I feel that purpose should be clarified in literature and discussions of boards designed to excel in it, just as should be the purpose of wave, slalom, early-planing, freestyle, flatwater, or any other specialty boards.

I had to reach, but I think Craig was illustrating that one man's favorite board was very unlike the next man's, because they value different performance factors ... i.e., have different criteria. IOW, they're biased.

Who doesn't/isn't?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
capetonian wrote:
I have the Goya Custom Quad 116 L (231 cm so not technically a stubby) and the Quattro Cube 95 L (223 cm so just short enough to be a stubby). I sail in Central Florida and weigh 175 lb.

The Goya 116 L is a revelation for cross onshore wave riding. Before the Goya I had a 2012 110 L Quattro Cube and before that an 2006 Exocet Exo-wave 105 L. Both of my previous 2 boards were excellent light wind cross shore wave boards, but both came up short for wave riding in cross on. The Exocet with its big single fin was great for planing up quickly and getting out over the waves, but never liked the instant snappy bottom turns that cross onshore wave riding requires. I've set the Goya up as a twin fin with 18 cm fins and covers over the thruster boxes. In this set up, as long as there is enough wind to plane (big if in Central Florida), I point off the wind and pump the sail and the board pops onto a plane and speeds out to the back line. Once on a wave it excels at those short snappy bottom turns and slashing top turns that cross onshore wave riding requires. Plus it keeps its speed through the bottom turn better than any other board I've used to date.

The Quattro Cube 95 L is unfortunately just too small for Central Florida. I've used it once in about 25 mph straight onshore at Cherie Down, and it was a rocket ship, fast to plane and snappy on the turns. Massive backside aerials were childs play. But that was nearly 10 months ago and it hasn't blown strong enough to use it since then.

So my conclusion based on that single session is stubbies aren't just hype, they do work, provided you have wind.

2 years later still riding the Cube 95 L and the Goya 116 L and still loving them. Added a Fanatic Freewave Stubby 105 L that is phenomenal for the straight onshore or onshore with slight cross shore days, and still pretty damn good on the cross shore days.

Thanks for the update from your posts 2 Years ago

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that, plus different bodies operate with different kinesthetics and that
may have something to do with what works well for some and not so well for others.

Another example is one of our brethren from Florida. He seems to favor
single fin boards with a little more water line and a little more volume
for wave sailing there. It may not be fashionable, but I'm not going to
tell him he doesn't like those boards or why he shouldn't like those boards.
In fact I'd use that info if ever I'm sailing there, even though I like low
volume boards with 3 fins for sailing where I sail.

Sometimes people get a little overzealous in trying to convince others that
their likes should be everybody's likes ( I'm guilty of it myself), I just
thought I'd add a little (very little) comedy.

-Craig

isobars wrote:

I had to reach, but I think Craig was illustrating that one man's favorite board was very unlike the next man's, because they value different performance factors ... i.e., have different criteria. IOW, they're biased.

Who doesn't/isn't?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
... trying to convince others that their likes should be everybody's likes

I avoid that by saying "*I do* such and such" rather than "*you should do* it my way". I'm constantly puzzled by the people who associate that with ego despite many explanations to the contrary.
"You aren't a good WSer if you don't like freestyle"? SERIOUSLY?

"You must get in your straps the same way I do."? SERIOUSLY?

"You must jibe the same way I do."? SERIOUSLY?

"You must like the same kind of board I do."? SERIOUSLY?

If more people would do that (offer suggestions that work) instead of dictating "My way is the only option", these forums would be much more peaceful. I've not noticed your doing the latter.
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again. It is now officially an all about isobars post. I'm surprised it took 7 pages, usually takes 4.

FYI regarding stubbies, I have Fanatic Skate 86 and is the ONLY board I use anymore. Gorge, La Ventana, coast. Not the greatest DTL board but it's good points far outweigh it's faults.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Here we go again. It is now officially an all about isobars post.

Relax. You obviously misread Craig's and my posts.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Here we go again. It is now officially an all about isobars post. I'm surprised it took 7 pages, usually takes 4.

Fickshinary me.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.02 KB
 Viewed:  9799 Time(s)

Fickshinary me.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Even though it's been explained a dozen times in as many ways, PP and Pilodog (aka #1 and #2) remain willing to openly reveal their inability to comprehend the difference between giving orders and offering suggestions. Kudos to both for continuing to try rather than letting their handicap embarrass them. That's how we learn, and this a great illustration of a basic principle:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: