myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Compact/Stubby Wave Boards..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
GT

I had the EVO. The Amigu came out in 2004 , really short for its day.

Was a fun board at 80L. THe EVO 74, less said the better.

we had the 2007 Evo ~74 XTV at the Windsport Board Test in San Carlos. It was a board that looked really sweet, and we were all salivating to try it. The thing was the biggest dog ever. The thing just would not plane. We tried everything... moving straps, fins, mast base... still was a dog. The F2 Guerrilla ~74 was the clear superior board in that size. All the other boards in the test were 85l. I was much lighter back then, and rode my JP RRW 69 most of the trip when not testing 85l boards... ah the good ol days.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's weird, had the same thing with a 2012 Evo !!!!
Here is the test: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/board-tests/#2012-Starboard-Evo

It wasn't just me, pretty much every single customer disliked the board.
Always wondered if it was a problem with this particularly board.
Supposedly it's good on a wave though?

Anyway, my Kode Wave Twin with similar dimensions (volume, length and width) but I think different everything else (volume distribution, rails, hull shape) is radically different and amazing for on-side-on to side-ish conditions.

Test of the Kode Wave here: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/board-tests/#2013-Starboard-Kode-Wave

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Wow that's weird, had the same thing with a 2012 Evo !!!!
pretty much every single customer disliked the board.

I loved my 80L on smooth water with modest power: Instant planing (I weigh 180), silky turning, very loose. Add moderate chop plus power or speed, though, and it was evil. Bouncy as hell, pearled like nothing I've ever experienced before or since. In that size it's for smooth wave faces and little, if anything, else, IMO. Just goes to show that a board's category means MUCH less than its actual intent and shape.

As for the Kode ... I love loose boards, but I draw the line short of outright skatey. When I wanted to actually GO somewhere, such as upwind or way off the wind in a big hurry, it preferred to slide and sashay around where IT wanted to go. I like greater precision even when my wake looks like ant tracks, and I really don't like boards that argue with me like the Kode did. It's sort of like a 100-pound puppy ... great for giggles but too easily distracted by squirrels for me. Too much slop in its steering for me.

Now, if I were interested in freestyle I'd probably love it.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was the guy that Ian and Scotty hated on the internet..years '04 thru '07, when Ian banned me yet other's on Starboards forum embraced some of my ideas.
Scotty hated me for saying the Evo was ONLY for tiny slow mushburger crumbling waves. I said the Evo shape only worked at low boardspeeds. Funny, I like my Starboard Quad..for slow slashy sailing...now that I turned 68.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
I was the guy that Ian and Scotty hated on the internet..years '04 thru '07, when Ian banned me yet other's on Starboards forum embraced some of my ideas.
Scotty hated me for saying the Evo was ONLY for tiny slow mushburger crumbling waves. I said the Evo shape only worked at low boardspeeds. Funny, I like my Starboard Quad..for slow slashy sailing...now that I turned 68.

Being hated because of one's ideas and preferences. Now where have we seen that before?

Re "tiny slow mushburger crumbling waves. I said the Evo shape only worked at low boardspeeds. Funny, I like my Starboard Quad..for slow slashy sailing" ...
Amen X 3.
Maybe I shouldda saved my EVO for my 80s.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine a single scenario where the Evo shape can work well in NorCal wave sailing. Single, twin, tri, quad, or quin.
However, in jumbled backwash high wind conditions, a slow stable board is desireable for us lacking reflexes and excess energy. Good for Arenal if the spinout problem is solved.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked that Quad either except on big shore to shore rollers at the Wall. It shined there (same shape as the Evo for those less informed)

In tri-fin mode you could make it work OK in typical choppy Gorge
conditions. I rode it for a season and sold it for what I bought it for
at the height of the Quad craze.

-Craig

dllee wrote:
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
GT

I had the EVO. The Amigu came out in 2004 , really short for its day.

Was a fun board at 80L. THe EVO 74, less said the better.

we had the 2007 Evo ~74 XTV at the Windsport Board Test in San Carlos. It was a board that looked really sweet, and we were all salivating to try it. The thing was the biggest dog ever. The thing just would not plane. We tried everything... moving straps, fins, mast base... still was a dog. The F2 Guerrilla ~74 was the clear superior board in that size. All the other boards in the test were 85l. I was much lighter back then, and rode my JP RRW 69 most of the trip when not testing 85l boards... ah the good ol days.

My EVO 74 was a dog also, until I tried a Starboard Black Box, I looked behind so often I thought a brick was roped to the rear footstrap.

I was going to write it were a pig, but remembered my Flying Pig, a Naish which was years ahead of its time, and way kool. As I recall ya had one .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dem Aussies have really slow waves, so they're board needs are different than everyone else's.
Look at the outlines of every other quad or wave board...much gunnier with NARROW tails.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso, swap the boards and we agree Very Happy !

The Kode Wave is very directional for a Twin, the Evo was the opposite.
Really odd.

We have a very challenging water state with various swell directions mixing so a non directional board must stay over in our "wave" area and venturing outside of that area to point upwind makes it painful with such boards!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: