myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2-hour beginner training makes it all wrong
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreiA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: 2-hour beginner training makes it all wrong Reply with quote

Over many years I observed beginners at Bonaire - perhaps the best place to learn windsurfing. And many times I felt sorry for them. Unless they were in a clinic.

Here is the problem: they take a 2-hour beginner lesson, and (if the instructor is good) they start (kind of) sailing back and forth. It's shallow, pleasantly warm, and almost no one would pay for 3-4 additional lessons over the following days.

The result: no sailing position; they learn to stay sideways, in the middle, embracing the mast foot. They keep the boom very low (like on the first day), no way to hang on the boom in case of a gust. They hunch over looking into the sail, while the should be proudly looking forward. Instead of moving into the proper position on the third or forth day of sailing they keep 'polishing' wrong muscle memories. Sad!

I wish every windsurfing place had a set of dont's and do's photos, side-by-side, as a reminder to beginners. This forum should be a good place to come up with such images! Head, shoulders, back, feet.

And, the best way to learn is joining a 5-day clinic, where the instructor will be watching and giving tips all the time!

P.S. I have no affiliation with Andy B, just want to see more people enjoying real windsurfing.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry AndreiA, totally disagree with your opinion.

Your implication is that learners are so stupid that they are incapable of figuring things out for themselves through trial, error, and experience, and should be spoon fed. This attitude is an ever increasing facet of modern life which needs challenging.

Windsurfing is a pastime which we do because we want to. With that in mind, anybody with an ounce of initiative and common sense and drive, CAN learn off their own bat by seeing what others are doing, and figouring it out for themselves. That is the way millions of ordinary people through out history have learnt to do most things in life. To claim lessons will get them there sooner, and help them reach a higher standard is a red herring, WHY should it matter? I thought the journey was the objective, not the final destination. (Are those who take lessons all planning to be world champions?)

To many of us, what we achieve by our own efforts is an essential part of the character building process, and fthe finding of self worth which leads to satisfaction. It will be a sad day when personal initiative is crushed by the relentless drive for perfection in all things!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately, GT, i have seen tons of folks stuck in some sort of rut.

some that do lots of different water sports might turn that statement back on me, but i will immediately say, "i have too crap already, you want me to keep track of more? and, i have so much to learn in the sports i enjoy already."

some of these folks get in a rut, recognize the logic of trying to do better techniques, yet stick to what they are stuck doing. can lead a horse to water.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2-hour beginner training makes it all wrong Reply with quote

AndreiA wrote:
Over many years I observed beginners at Bonaire - perhaps the best place to learn windsurfing.

That it is. I've watched people who said they'd never try windsurfing decide to take that first lesson there, and have a great time.

I don't think the technique shortcomings of that first lesson matter as much as the people that take them have fun, while seeing better windsurfers all around them at every level (including world champion sailors.) Those who are interested in taking up the sport can and do pursue the next lesson (and the next, and the next).

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John, people get stuck in a rut. I'm considered to be an expert sea kayaker (in the sense that I have achieved things others can't, or dare not) but I am stuck in a rut over the multiple ways of rolling. My take was that I should concentrate on just ONE particular method in all circumstances (normal screw roll) till it became bomb proof and second nature. Doing so has kept me safe.

The same reasoning can be applied to windssurfing. I am just a normally proficient 30+ year sailor (high wind-low wind -surf-shortboard-longboard) who still can't do many trechnique tricks because I have no wish to do so. Jibing, tacking, waterstarting (all the ways including lightwind mast and foot of sail hold, and clew first when necessary) are the key basics, and that will do.

Incidentally, as far as I can see I'm the only one who carries split kayak paddles as safety backup on the longboard, when venturing far out to sea. I've not seen anybody teach this yet, to me, it is a basic safety requirement, which I reasoned very early on.

All I'm sayoing is that people cannot be squeezed into a uniform mould. Others may be more proficient than me technique wise (but not necessarily in what the do) yet after 30+ years it is I still out there in good bad or indifferent conditions, while others have long since given up.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP

Applaud your post, it has concern for newbies .
The clinic , duration optional, is one way to learn the basics.

To raise the awareness of this forum to outsiders, so to speak, IMO, THERE is no answer.
Coming to mind is ..too many cooks spoil the soup

I can't find myself feeling sorry for a Bonaire holiday maker

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without slamming any instructors or any students you saw, your description suggests the instructors never learned a developed system of instruction.

Without suggesting the US Sailing system is the world's best, I can use it as an example.

Boom height is shoulder high. All the emphasis is put on balancing the rig on the board. Balance upon uphaul, balance to start sailing, balance to tack, balance to jibe. How well that information is conveyed depends on the instructor. No difference exists in the actual movements between students; male or female, adult or child. It's the same because it works. While Tinho Dornellas basically wrote the course, Andy Brandt's methods are remarkably close. This goes to show how universal the course methods are.

While not everyone can be taught in a few hours, most people succeed in that timeframe with quality instruction.

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said GT!
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than sports that can be a danger to your life, face jumping/hang gliding, I really can't think of a sport that requires instruction. Most kids learn to play sports on their own-soccer, football, basketball, hockey, baseball-and can enjoy it for a lifetime.

The advantage of instruction is for those who wish to learn quickly, compete or push the envelope of the sport, or for those who take up the sport at a later time in life. Instruction is not a requirement to enjoyment unless your enjoyment comes from competition.

However, people are more likely to have success & greater enjoyment with good instruction. Not everyone is highly motivated or determined. The Rudy's of the world are very rare.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, I will never forget the instructor with whom I had arranged a full 40-hour week of personal lessons in the hopes of shortening my learning curve by many years. I sent her a list of dozens of things I wanted to learn, set aside the week of her choosing, drove 900 miles to meet her (Amy in Corpus Christi) despite a forecast of heavy wind all week at home, and she simply didn't show. About midweek she appeared, but "had to work". Her work was instructing WSing at a shop in CC, and I had agreed to any sane price she wanted ... way more than she'd make at the shop. I figured advancing my progress by years was worth much more than, say, the price of a new board.

Hell, just shortening my learn-to-jibe time and frustration by 5 or 6 years would have been worth at LEAST four figures, so I put my money where my mouth was and flew to Maui for jibe lessons from Cadiz. He sat on shore and told me when I came back in what I had done wrong in each attempt, as though I knew where each toe was on Attempt #17. Totally useless.

With lessons like that, you may be right. But GOOD lessons, like I hear Andy's are? PRICELESS. At my self-learning pace, I'd be at least 150 before I got bored learning more.

I lived in a windy area and could go sailing almost any day I wished, but figure how much TOW most working stiffs in most locations can manage, and once again learning curve advancement becomes very valuable.

"Required"? Certainly not. "Priceless?" IMO, HELL yes. I've never had a driving lesson or a motorcycle or snowmobile racing lesson, but I've certainly had or tried to get WSing lessons for the very reason you mention: success & greater enjoyment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: