myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2-hour beginner training makes it all wrong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I feel sorry for those who are only in any endeavour for the purpose of being the greatest.

I agree. Besides encouraging cheating, it pegs their success on OTHER PEOPLE's performance. Even their Best Day Ever can be ruined just because someone else outran, or out-jumped, or out-looped them. I still fondly remember a few of my own Best Days Ever, and the fact that countless WSers would consider those days clumsy failures because I missed a jibe or didn't even ATTEMPT a double back loop does not and cannot diminish those days.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes spot on GT. Obviously good instruction makes a difference and can prevent bad habits and wasted time. But it all comes down to motivation and a lot of hard work and practice. Anybody with enough ambition can overcome physical limitations and increase athletic ability. With some ambition one can do some research for instructional information or find find proper lessons or info from other windsurfers. Even bucket loads of money and the best instructors won't help without a lot of hard work and practice. So any beginners reading this should understand and cherish that fact that windsurfing is not easy and a life long learning process. But it is an individual sport so if someone comes away from a lesson slogging around in paradise once a year that's fine too.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a recent Facebook post on Andy Brandt's time line that is relevant to this issue:
Quote:
I have been windsurfing since 1979, and I have learned more from your clinics in Islamorada than I have in the past 30 years. You are an awesome teacher. I look forward to catching up with you again. Keep sharing the stoke. Fly on, Steve

It's the combination of the extended teaching times and the quality of the instructors that creates such responses. I would not have phrased it quite like Steve, but I feel in a similar way.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
it all comes down to motivation and a lot of hard work and practice.

I don't recall regarding ANY of my countless hours of WSing as "work" or "practice". My motives for all my individual/hobby sports (team sports are different), including WSing, are fun and adrenaline, and when neither (i.e., not one or the other) is available, I do something else. I didn't even "practice" jibing just for the sake of practice; I turned around to keep from hitting the far shore or to keep my home shoreline in sight. I try to reserve "work" and "practice" for IMPORTANT goals, like health, safety, financial security, etc., not loops or trophies (I've thrown away dozens of them simply because they took up so much space) or GPS miles.

No that there's anything wrong with work and practice in recreation, but for millions of us work and practice would spoil its whole purpose, and thus our motivation.

That doesn't mean we can't progress. It just means that our progression comes from sailing outside our comfort zone -- pushing our performance envelopes -- not from repetitive grinds normally associated with those "w" and "p" words. That first two-foot jump is not "practice" for a 10-foot jump in our world; IT'S A 2-FOOT JUMP.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso’s,

I get your meaning even if you are having difficulty explaining it. Since practice is simply the act of repeated physical movement that builds muscle memory, every time you windsurf you are practicing. Heck, every time you go for a walk you are practicing how to walk.

I think the term you are looking for is organized practice. A practice where you have a specific goal in mind.

Coachg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Since practice is simply the act of repeated physical movement that builds muscle memory, every time you windsurf you are practicing. Heck, every time you go for a walk you are practicing how to walk.

I think the term you are looking for is organized practice. A practice where you have a specific goal in mind.

Coachg

Yes. Practice should be more than the repeated physical act, it should the the physical act combined with paying attention to what you're doing, and learning from your results. Mindful practice is what I think it's called in yoga. Coach you're right that we're always practicing, but we may be practicing bad habits. Practicing being inattentive.

In ABK a simple example of the attentive practice that comes to mind is the way they teach helitacks. In the ABK mode you stop the maneuver half way through the sail flip, and sail for a few seconds clew first. There's no advantage to breaking up the heli this way in terms of sailing, but in terms of reviewing your balance and posture and sail handling, it's an excellent test. It elevates the practice. My guess is that Steve who "learned more from your clinics in Islamorada than I have in the past 30 years" wasn't simply shown new things to do, but new details to pay attention to and to think about.

whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carol Dweck calls it "deliberate practice", the author of .Bounce calls it purposeful practice.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Back to the original question! Reply with quote

Everyone, with all this active participation, almost nothing helps to answer the original question:

How to reduce the number of quitters, who strongly believe in 'practice' but for one reason or another, practice wrong moves, and give up because (quite understandable) 'it's too difficult'?

Or, simply, how to bring more people to the fun side of windsurfing?

And please, don't argue it's all 'their fault' (i.e. lack of commitment, etc etc.).
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach people on kit that will work in lots of different conditions rather than the current excessively wide beginner gear. Something to be said for being able to go places right away.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem compelled to deny reality AndreiA by telling us NOT to argue that it is all down to them if they give up the sport. It IS down to the individual!

It has little to do with whether they are doing it rightly or wrongly. It is that some people find that they simply don't have an afinity with the sport, or that they simply lack the all important ability to learn from their mistakes and progress at it.

Any teacher (I was a kayak instructor) knows this. Take a dozen people taking up the sport under a controlled learning environment, and it quickly becomes obvious to the instructor that two or three will show themselves (to their delight) that they are 'naturals', several will be 'normal' but well suited to making progress, but one or two will simply be square pegs in round holes, and unsuited to the sport. i.e. lacking in instinctive balance, or some other problem. No amount of 'proper' instruction can overcome the issues in such cases. The sport is simply not for them.

So I insist that it IS all down to the individual as to whether they will continue, or cut their loses and give up. Simple fact of life!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: