myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting into the Footstraps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
Other than the obvious "straighten your arms" is there anything technical in my setup that could be changed - longer/shorter lines?

Well, we can't straighten our arms out if our harness lines are too short AND/OR our booms are too low AND/OR we're bent too far forward at the waist AND/OR our hook is too high on our body. Those all interact, and there are many schools of thought on what combination works best. World class experts disagree on their own optimal blend (and whether it's OK to let your sail touch your boom), so, no, I surely can't offer any sound advice on what would work for YOU beyond experimenting with those so you can straighten your arms more.

Many sailors here tell me I'm full of crap in preferring shorter harness lines. They scoff at the extensive explanations I've offered when they ask, yet don't question taller champions who use much shorter lines than I do. Screw 'em; I've experimented extensively for 35 years with lines from 36" to 18" with every combination of those factors and I know what works best for ME, MY sailing style, MY Venues, MY OWN dynamic objectives and criteria, MY personal ergonomics, and MY quiver sizes. OTOH, some of the guys in this thread obviously understand subtleties completely beyond my ken ("cross your eyes and look under your lee armpit at your windward knee while chanting OMM ... OMM ... but in Klingon"?), but I say "Try it". They race big gear and I don't; guess whose advice I'd go with regarding your big gear.

But, yeah, listen to them; your elbows are too bent. Very Happy
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like someone else posted ...
line length looks okay - just lean out more ?
we need more women pics ?? Embarassed

tried one, but it "overwhelmed" the page Smile

https://coresites-cdn.factorymedia.com/boards/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/GETTING-GOING-OPENER-OPTION-3-IMG_7016-copy.jpg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Many sailors here tell me I'm full of crap in preferring shorter harness lines.

They may be neglecting that you set your boom as low as possible. Certainly your overall set up is unconventional and not what the equipment is designed for. If everyone ran their booms at the bottom of the cutout I think shorter lines would be more popular.

Last edited by PeconicPuffin on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Praying mantis position? Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:

Other than the obvious "straighten your arms" is there anything technical in my setup that could be changed - longer/shorter lines?

Cheers Jeff

Jeff, while a number of things could be changed, none of the matter remotely as much as your developing a good stance. Furthermore you don't really want to dial in your gear for a bad stance...that will hinder you from improving.

As a number of us have said (and remember that photo I posted) the basic posture is a "soft" 7 (don't lock your knees and elbows, but they esssentially should be straight.)

I recommend you spend much less time (if any) adjusting your gear, and all your time working on your stance while beam reaching. Everything you need is in that Sam Ross video.

jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>PP
I recommend you spend much less time (if any) adjusting your gear, and all your time working on your stance while beam reaching. Everything you need is in that Sam Ross video.

yep really haven't changed any of setup since your original suggestion of lowering boom - does it look low enough in videos?

Just asked about setup incase I was missing something?

I hope my videos show I'm listening and focussing on practicing stance - hence my reviews after every sailing session.

Thanks Jeff
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks fine or fine enough. Keep sailing, keep working on your stance and foot strap technique. Yes you are improving.

jirvin_4505 wrote:

really haven't changed any of setup since your original suggestion of lowering boom - does it look low enough in videos?

I hope my videos show I'm listening and focussing on practicing stance - hence my reviews after every sailing session.

Thanks Jeff

gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
>PP

yep really haven't changed any of setup since your original suggestion of lowering boom - does it look low enough in videos?

Thanks Jeff

When I looked at your last video, I thought that it might be easier for you to get your arms more extended if the boom were lower.

Lower it an inch and see what happens. Don't change anything else in the set up. If you are more comfortable with a lower boom, and can put strain on the harness and less on your arms, you will be more comfortable.
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Apologies to Fanatic Shark Reply with quote

Thought I would take the time to update my progress...

Again thanks to the contributions here Im working on my issues - you are always in my head Razz Razz

Really want to share my progress with the Fanatic Shark 150 2013

My early experience with shark probably reads as problematic- I want to rectify that.

Its now my favourite board in chop with 7.5m sail - its a real joy to get onto the plane (who would have guessed)

Somehow over the season the board has learn to work

I use the board with 7.5 and 8.5 ezzy lions. I have spent time sorting out fins. The standard free ride 50cm I stopped using when I was having difficulties getting going early on this season- finding the JP slalom 46cm much more successful. (cant explain why a shorter fin would be better?)

After a wonderful afternoon in blasting overpowered 7m conditions I had the opportunity to try a lessacher chameleon 360 fin (52cm 45 degree diagonal 36cm deep) The feeling of how settled the board was and the steadiness through the chop left me amazed. My most successful afternoon ever in these conditions! 26.5knt peak 24.2knt 2sec

The experience of being settled in overpowered choppy conditions opened up a 'worm hole" in my brain. Is this how windsurfing is meant to feel?

I have been chasing that feeling on my other boards. My JPSLW now rides with the mast track further back and is much more settled as I approach 25knts in chop - use to be -band - bang - bang - theres goes my dentures.

The shark was to replace my busted 155l fanatic stingrayTT as a step down board from the JPSLW. Now with the success Im having on it there is a good cross over from one board to another.

This week I was able to use the Shark in shallow waters in what would have been a JPSLW 8.5m day if I had the tide depth. Decreasing winds. My friends had early runs but finished early.

2 highlights

- managed to catch a gust and had a run across the flat water shallows into the rolling disorganised swell of the deep passage. I stayed on the plane (a first in the conditions) and navigated my way through the troughs and up over the cresting waves. Absolutely stoked Very Happy Very Happy Got the max speed that day amongst my mates Cool

- persisted with seeing what I could do with the weed fin and big 8.5 sail- was able to pump the board onto a downwind run to eek out the last of the session. I was last person planing that morning. What a difference a few months on a board makes (humble)Embarassed

Im now in early stages of learning carve gybe on the board. This highlights an ongoing problem I having (practice will rectify) - haven't successfully tacked or slow gybed the board Crying or Very sad So I very cautious where I use the Shark

Last month I went to Burrum wind festival - long flatwater speed runs 3-5km out to sea. There was a limit on board width 85cm (no JPSLW) worried about getting stranded I purchased a 2008 155l GO as I could tack gybe and easily uphaul on it.

Love the GO but reckon the SHARK is more versatile as the wind and water state develops. Interestingly I got 23knts on the GO 8.5 ezzy in flat water speed run - compared to 25knts last year on the JPSLW (didn't know I was breaking the rules) Now in much more difficult conditions Im regularly getting 24knts on the SHARK.

The stability of the GO 155 has me thinking I should stop having so much fun on the Shark and practice my carve gybes on the GO as it is much more forgiving with blown maneuvers? More time on the board! Less in the water.

Foptstraps. - Confused The JPSLW is no longer an issue FFF than BF. The SHARK is improving but I still blow a few moves (outboard straps - inboard was OK) and.... Embarassed when Im tied and the wind is gusty I revert to BFF on both boards. The GO i'm outboard straps and FFF then BF

I see that I am able to get my boards onto plane much easier in light conditions with FFF. Wink

Improved stance? (need to make a new video) practicing the suggestions given here I feel I can hold more power getting.

Going out on the JPSLW today 8.5 ezzy (been a while) I could feel improvements in my early planing, thanks to the hard yards done on the Shark.

cheers Jeff
PS I've also been going to the local yacht club which runs windsurfing courses to get some coaching.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are a great encouragement/inspiration to me (and hopefully others as well)
told you - you would like the Shark 150 Smile
(surprised you find it difficult to tack and slow gybe)
since we live in parallel universes ...
as you know, i too have the JP SLW and must get in the straps
have purchased a Shark 145 HRS
which has 3 sets of footstrap positions
hope it works out as well for me as the 150 did for you
(have multiple fins I wish to try as well)
would be interested to hear about similar experiences on the newer Gecko/freemoves
here's my Shark:
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Apologies to Fanatic Shark Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
Thought I would take the time to update my progress...

Sounds fantastic! Stay at it! Two minor points:

1. Park your mast foot in the middle of the mast track and forget about it for a year. Continue to develop your skills and general ability so that...a year (or two) from now, you adjust your mast track to tune your gear rather than to compensate for technique skills that you don't yet fully have. This will improve your learning now and gear performance later.

2. Resist BFF as much as possible. It is only appropriate as a survival skill. Even then, if you can instead go for FFF you will learn more about managing board trim in challenging conditions.

Everything sounds great! Congratulations!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: