myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Getting into the Footstraps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Apologies to Fanatic Shark Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

There are a number of threads in the forum right now where sailors who are not comfortable in the foot straps are trying to solve their issues with gear tweaks. I think it's is a mistake. Until stance, sheeting in and planing in both foot straps are reasonably solid, I think tweaking the mast foot is a distraction and a mistake, and slows down the learning process.

In case of jirvin_4505, your argument is plainly wrong. He has little problems getting into the footstraps most of the time, and is starting to understand when FFF is a must (in light wind), and when BFF can make sense (in stronger, gusty conditions). He's reporting GPS speeds that are quite good for the conditions and gear. He also reports that he sees a clear and positive change from moving the mast foot back on his JPSLW. The effect he reports (less slamming) is exactly what is expected from moving the mast foot back.

For someone who is just starting to get into the straps, leaving the mast foot in the middle of the tracks is decent advice. For someone at jirvin_4505's level, it's bad advice. If you're comfortable in the straps and going fast, optimizing the trim is a good idea.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
I've got to pull back a bit and get security on the board happening.

If that means sailing more conservatively, I think that holds us back. Unless it develops specific bad habits, aggressive sailing usually leads to improvement. It's all but required to learn fast tacks, jibes, getting into the straps, planing, any tricks, chop hops/jumps, speed, harness use, and so much more. The guys who tiptoe into and through windsurfing learn at a snail's pace, if at all.

A bud once asked me to help him learn to carve planing jibes. I told him he has to get over his fear of speed before he's anywhere near ready to plane through his jibes. The sad part? He had WSed for a decade, moved his family and business to Hood River to sail every day, sailed every windy day for years, but was still scared to cut loose. That was 20 years ago, and I'll bet he still baaarrrely planes even on beam reaches ... presuming he still sails at all. He was just too timid about the whole thing to progress, and I've seen scores of WSers in the same boat. DRESS to get wet, PLAN to get wet, GET wet, ENJOY getting wet, try new stuff correctly but aggressively, and your dunkings will shift from the basics to intermediate stuff to advanced stuff and finally to the one place they actually belong: learning freestyle tricks (if they interest you; they don't interest me.) It sounds boring, but some people can sail for hours and stay dry.
jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: doing my homework? Reply with quote

Yes agree taking risks is good.

Always for me the balance between risk/adventure and pulling back a little to learn some basics ive not paid full attention to.

Had a post sailing conversation with sailing pal about the fast boards I own. My way of having some fun blasting across the water is my answer - need to get your fun factor also.

been a big week on the water high winds and low winds - my mentor suggests im obsessed Shocked

Taking risks .... 2 tracks from this week.
1. Taking risks .... powered up on shark 7.5 ezzy. Get onto plane accelerate - initiate the carve sequence. Step 1,2,3,4 .... crash Made it around 2 times - happy and bruised - an hour or so of humbling fun.

2. Getting out despite the forecast...Low wind winter gusty ... slow tacks and gybes practicing course racing techniques with my son. Starts stops backwards pumps tacks gybes and falls 3 hours of intense fun

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.23.13 pm.png
 Description:
https://www.ka72.com/Track/t/305825
 Filesize:  689.2 KB
 Viewed:  13343 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.23.13 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.28.56 pm.png
 Description:
https://www.ka72.com/Track/t/305703
 Filesize:  792.65 KB
 Viewed:  13343 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.28.56 pm.png

Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine just got back from Bird Island. He has accomplished in two years what has taken me five. He was given this advice. You are at the point where you should be making mistakes sailing overpowered. You need to do this to get to the next level. Seems right to me.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Apologies to Fanatic Shark Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
For someone who is just starting to get into the straps, leaving the mast foot in the middle of the tracks is decent advice. For someone at jirvin_4505's level, it's bad advice. If you're comfortable in the straps and going fast, optimizing the trim is a good idea.

Maybe. I'd like to see his stance. There are plenty of people who learn to groove bad sailing postures and sail fast, but from those positions face impediments to improve beyond straightline speed. I am prejudiced as I used to be one of those people,

I'd like to see his stance.

jirvin_4505

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time I captured some more sailing videos to see if improvements are obvious

PeconicPuffin has seen and commented usefully on my older videos. So I'm keen to get some more happening and see what's happening.

Winter and fickle winds approach Sad

Cheers Jeff
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, many of the folks on this forum, who are giving footstrap advice, take for granted how powered up one needs to be to get into the straps. Once you learn how to handle a lot of power, you tend to forget how long it takes to get there.

When the folks giving the advice sail underpowered, which might be overpowered for newer sailors, where will they be on the board? Certainly not in the back strap. Maybe not even in the front strap.

So, don't assume that the correct position for your feet is in the straps.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jirvin_4505 wrote:
I think it's time I captured some more sailing videos to see if improvements are obvious

There's no doubt they will be! Your comment about breaking through to being comfortable planing in chop almost certainly means that you're driving more power through the mast base, by virtue of a better stance and sheeting in more fully. You're sailing faster and with more control...good times!

Shoot video (yourself or ask a friend).

isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Once you learn how to handle a lot of power, you tend to forget how long it takes to get there.

So, don't assume that the correct position for your feet is in the straps.

My first board or three had no straps, but I began sailing powered up hard immediately because my primary sport was still racing open class desert bikes and because I was after the same adrenaline rush. I learned to handle the excess power by dropping my butt down towards my back heel when a gust or simply too much wind tried to overpower me, just as one does when losing a tug-of-war with a rope with a cesspool dividing the two teams. Before long I began adding a single strap to my strapless boards for overpowered sailing... at the back, of course ... and the rest is history.
westender

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Cool Good one Iso.

I take for granted, when a novice says they're well powered or love blasting overpowered that's exactly what it is. A novice's perspective.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: