myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Weed fins for slalom-racing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trey.olney

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Weed fins for slalom-racing Reply with quote

Thinking of getting a pure slalom or race board for sailing in Hatteras (JP 2012 59 pro edition). I have sailed hatteras for 20 plus years and always use a weed fin on the sound. Nothing worse than feeling that bogged down feeling, and then looking back to find a slew of weeds.

I think from what I have read, that a true race or slalom board performs best with a true standard fin. How would it do with a weed fin? Board I am considering has a tuttle box and is 96 liters (5.7-7.0 blasting). Funny thing is I see people sailing the sound on race gear but seldom do I see a weed fin on their gear. Even one blade of sea grass has an impact on speed. Any suggestions on a good weed fin for a slalom/race board that wont sacrifice top end speed or turning ability??
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Wolfgang Lessacher's carbon DuoWeed and the Chamaleon. As asymmetrical foils, there is nothing out there quite like them. Believe me, these fins work very well for weedfins, and they offer great upwind ability without the spinout problems common with many weedfins. Also, they weigh a faction of the weight of a normal G10 fin.

http://www.cameraid.com/Lessacher/fins.html
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trey,

I sail the OBX and use an iSonic 111 (108L) when the wind gets down to 7.6 race sail level (15-20). Otherwise I drop down to 6.4 bump and jump sail and 105L board. More wind = smaller sails and boards.

I have been using a True Ames Blade Weed 33cm. It works fine, but maybe a little bit small, but no spin out. I weigh 168 lbs. It was relatively inexpensive at $129. Normally, if a weed fin is not needed, I use a 42cm slalom fin, but only on the Raleigh lakes.

The slalom board is fine when the wind is on the lighter side, but the ride can be pretty bumpy when the chop builds in winds over 20, so a bump and jump board is more fun and a smoother ride for me.

I was there all last week and had 6 out of 7 days with planing conditions, using sails from 4.5 to 7.6.
pete1111

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cnc fins and makani fins, both excellent weed fins. I have them on my slalom boards
http://cncfins.com/
https://www.makanifins.com/
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,
What size would you run with an 8.7 on the 135?

i.e. how would you compare a 46 non weeder...

cause it is all about the tuttle, and keith if you're there...how big can you go?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel using long fins in the sound is questionable from a safety standpoint.
Impact city.

The fins are developed by a pair of really great sailors. Rocket science and all.
The company is based in Avon.

http://cncfins.com/

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
trey.olney

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. I have been sailing for over 24 years and love all aspects of the sport but recently I have this desire for speed. Whatever I ride, I seem to crave speed. I love sailing the 4.5 sessions in Hatteras and the Gorge, but I cant wait to push the limits on a true slalom board and a race sail slightly overpowered. Thanks again for the advice. Trey
pete1111

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
Pete,
What size would you run with an 8.7 on the 135?

i.e. how would you compare a 46 non weeder...

cause it is all about the tuttle, and keith if you're there...how big can you go?

I've been running a 43cm makani weed which is more than enough.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trey, the weed speed fins from Black Project can be quite fast. I think they hold the current record for 1 hour, and there are frequent posting of 40+ knots with these fins. Just keep in mind that there sizes are different from everyone else, they are "pointer equivalents". So the 38 WS would be called a 31 by any other manufacturer. I use it with a 7.0 on a 71 cm slalom board.

Most weed fins have only a 40 degree rake angle, and can collect the thin, sticky grass in Hatteras on a day where there's a lot of weed in the water. The weed fins from CNC (now made and sold by Tectonics as "Weed Demons") were specifically developed for the sound, and shed much better. There are the best weed fins I have tried on my freeride gear. I have not used them on my slalom boards (due to budget limitations), but a "slalom-only" friend thinks they are the best on his Falcons.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that that I have been using a smaller custom 28cm Lessacher carbon DuoWeed on my 7.0 Retro with a 24" wide Mike's Lab Freeride. In 14 to 16mph averages, performance has been stout, even in an ugly kelp and eelgrass environment. That's notable. Often, performance is about what you can do in lighter conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: