myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Reliable wearable GPS with good waterproofing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reliable wearable GPS with good waterproofing? Reply with quote

I'd be interested in a wearable (like, watch or armband style) waterproof GPS for windsurfing. Ideally it would have:

1) Simple plug-in recharging so I wouldn't have to go through tons of batteries and worry about getting water in the battery compartment.

2) Bluetooth wireless communication with my computer so I can offload my tracks and analyze my speeds after a session.

3) Small price tag.

Lately I've used my fancy SUP Speedcoach 2 GPS while windsurfing, but that's kind of a square peg for a round hole because it's big and heavy and fits on a GoPro camera stanchion that I have to ridiculously put on top of a helmet.

scargo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had lots of devices, I recommend the Garmin Forerunner 10 watch. It's waterproof (don't bother with IPX7, they'll leak), cheap ($80), rechargeable, and, best of all, allows you to use the free Garmin Connect website, where you can record all of your outdoor activities free of charge.

It's very lightweight and small, but the price you pay for that is that the battery doesn't last as long in GPS mode (about 3 hours). Lasts about three weeks on standby. I use mine every day for running, have logged 3,500 miles on that watch alone, and it's still going strong. Finally, it doesn't have Bluetooth like most of the other watches, but with the USB dongle (which is also the charger), I just plug it into the USB.
mamero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried the new Apple iWatch 2 for windsurfing yet? It's now standalone and fullywater proof with GPS. An iWatch with a tide and GPS app would be pretty cool.

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-2/
kalaniwavo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very happy with my Suunto Ambit 3 Sport. The battery life is more than enough. I've logged 4+ hour bike rides without coming close to killing the battery. The bluetooth is quick and easy and it syncs automatically with my Iphone and Strava.

I have previously taken a soft waterproof Iphone case ($20) and put it in the front pocket of my life vest and logged a session on strava with good results as well.

BTW, I think I may be the only person on the planet logging my wind sessions on Strava... would be nice to see some other windsurfers and kites on there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: