myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is foot strap position relative to fin size?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is foot strap position relative to fin size? Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Given the few recent threads on all things footstrap I'm curious if their position is relative to fin size/strength and/or board width?

Some hopefully practical thoughts, thinking about your 80cm freeride board :

1. If we start with the assumption that you are comfortable ripping in both straps, usually the position of the footstraps, as well as fin choices, are based on how one intends to sail the board. And whether that's going for max speed in lighter winds, hiked way out on the rails and trading twitchiness for best possible speed and pointing angle, or more inboard, to be more comfortable with terrain and smoother, less gymnastic jibing. Once that decision is made, you might use three different fins on the board, tuning for sail size and wind strength, without considering moving the straps. I'm a guy who likes to swap out fins as sails and conditions change, and it's never occurred to me to move the foot straps as part of that tuning.

2. Your comment about wanting to move your front foot out on the rail but being more comfortable having your back foot in...I can identify with that. When I vacation in Bonaire and take out a big board and big sail for some slalomly freeride action, my front foot is happy on the rail (because that's where the max performance is) but my front foot is less happy...because it takes a lot of practice & TOW for me to get comfortable with the back foot (and that foot is pointed a bit...pressure through the ball of the foot, not the heel). I have no doubt that my back foot should be on the outside...I just don't sail that way often enough to be locked in comfortable. But if I owned a board like that, I'd sail it with the full outside set up as my light wind planing machine. I'd force myself to teach my back foot to behave on on the edge.

So in short, I think you start with how you plan on using the board, set the foot straps up accordingly, and then fin the thing up. The last thing you do is choose the fin, not the foot strap set up.

coachg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017,
Some of what I am going to say has already been covered.

Actually, if I understand your question correctly, it doesn't matter if the board is a small wave board or large freeride, you set your footstraps to balance yourself to your board in the conditions you are sailing.
Speed is the critical equation here that I think you are looking for. The faster you travel, the greater the fin lift. Thus, even a small fin can produce enough lift if you are going fast enough. The rider's goal is to keep the board flat, which is where footstrap position, board speed & fin size come in to play.

Using your large freeride board with the 50 cm fin with say an 8.5 sail at the lowest planing speeds you can have your footstraps inboard, say 12-13 knts. But as you take your setup into higher winds, say 14-16 knts, you will find that inboard strap positions can no longer keep the board flat so your feet will start to wander to the edge where they can balance the board. But, based on all the factors that LEED listed you will get to a point that you cannot hold down the board with the 50 cm fin because of too much lift because of the greater speed. At that point you need a smaller fin.

In addition to keeping the board flat, you also have trim front to back. Slalom boards tend to like a lower nose riding profile while wave boards tend towards a higher nose riding profile. Heavier riders need to move their straps more forward because they will sink the tail with rear strap positions. Lighter riders move the straps back to keep the nose from being too low. Once you set your straps for your local conditions you are pretty much good to go.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll fill in a few blanks:
155l Fanatic Xray (2002 I believe). I'm 205 in gear at the moment. Commonly sailing 7.5-9.5m sails.
I have had sustained GPS speeds in the 20-25kt range without having the board rail up enough to need more than a bit of heel pressure with the straps inboard.

However it does currently sail with very little front foot pressure, actually I'm usually lifting slightly with the front and pushing firmly through the ball of my rear foot.

Sounds like perhaps I should be looking at shifting the mast foot position rearward.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to achieve?
You can lower the booms to center your weight on both straps.
You can move the straps back and out to get more top speed.
You can move the straps forward to gain low speed planing when in the straps.
You can move the track back to lighten your front foot.
You can move the track forwards to plane sooner, but you'd have to raise the boom accordingly.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've posted some interesting things Zirtaeb!

Specifically the last two seem to run counter to a LOT of the tuning guides available. Generally track to the rear is indicated for underpowered days, as is a higher boom.

-Grant
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where your simplistic understanding of windsurfing leaves you. Windsurfing is complicated, and all the parts are tied together.
Nobody moves the track back without lowering the boom.
Everything you change affects several OTHER, though unintended, things.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, think about this.....
Do you plane sooner with a smaller board or a bigger board?
Of course, bigger. Track forwards allows you to stand on a bigger board, more of the board, when you're slogging. Track back forces your front foot to stand in front of the front straps, making for INefficient pumping.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Generally track to the rear is indicated for underpowered days.

No. Definitely not.

I encourage you to, for each of your boards, find the sweet spot for the mast foot on a powered but not overpowered day, and leave it there. That's your spot. Tune the sail for powered v underpowered (or overpowered) conditions. Once you have all of that dialed in, then on days that you're lit you might slide the foot back 1/2" for extra speed. Or move it 1/2" forward on light days. But don't mess with that until you know your starting point (the sweet spot) well, and have your sails tuned to conditions.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this one dood that bolts his mastfoot into his favorite spot in the deck box of his wave board and just leaves it there, regardless of the wind, the sail size, etc.

His name escapes me ... it's coming back ... it's coming back ... oh, yeah: it's Robby Naish. You may have heard of him.

K.I.S.S.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Robbie never moved his mast track.
He had one favorite wave board. And he carried 3 other's every day along with him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: